thinking of switching q's ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
when you get whole house dvr can you pause live tv from a second tv, that's just a reg hd receiver?? in other words, use the hardisk
in say the livingroom? like i can now with my 722 e*

also to get the 180 costco card, do you have to be a member of costco, will it ask for a member number at signup
when you get that, where do you type in your referral account number from a friend?

when you get whole house dvr can you pause live tv from a second tv, that's just a reg hd receiver?? in other words, use the hardisk

also to get the 180 costco card, do you have to be a member of costco, will it ask for a member number at signup
when you get that, where do you type in your referral account number from a friend?

Well, if you don't have a Costco membership, you don't get in the door to sign up for the D* service.

On the Costco card deal I signed up for my D sevice through the Costco website. I was NOT a member and it never asked me if I was through out the whole process. Now however you will need a card to go into the store to use the card. Hope that helps

On the Costco card deal I signed up for my D sevice through the Costco website. I was NOT a member and it never asked me if I was through out the whole process. Now however you will need a card to go into the store to use the card. Hope that helps

You were able to get this ONLINE without putting in a Membership card number ?
Does this mean you can buy anything you want ONLINE from Costco without needing a card ?

This REALLY surprises me if it;s true.

No you can not pause live tv with the HD receiver as it has no hard drive. You would have to start the recording on the DVR then go watch it on the HD. That is why I don't like the they call it whole home DVR, as that is not what it is. It is MRV multi-room view. The plus side is you get HD at the 2nd tv.

Jimbo said:
You were able to get this ONLINE without putting in a Membership card number ?
Does this mean you can buy anything you want ONLINE from Costco without needing a card ?

This REALLY surprises me if it;s true.

I'm about to sign up for directv and I've gone through the Costco signup page to explore pricing. Never prompted for card number. All it does is redirect to directv's site for final selection and checkout. However, when I make my selection, all my discounts are shown *except* for the Costco gift card. Has anyone received confirmation of being signed up for this deal, e.g. an email or some kind of pop-up after check out?

I signed up through the Costco website. (I'm a member) It never asked for a card # or anything and I never received any confirmation. I called the D* phone # and asked a couple of days after the install. They told me it was automatic. Sure enough, 2 days later I received an email that it was being Fed Ex'd. It arrived 2 days later. I don't know if the phone call sped it up or not. They told me on the phone call that it would be 4 - 6 wks. It wound up more like 4 -6 days.

Thanks Joe, that puts my mind at ease, wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I'm going to go signup right now.

No you can not pause live tv with the HD receiver as it has no hard drive. You would have to start the recording on the DVR then go watch it on the HD. That is why I don't like the they call it whole home DVR, as that is not what it is. It is MRV multi-room view. The plus side is you get HD at the 2nd tv.

Sort of true. You can start the recording from the HD receiver, you don't have to go to the DVR to do it. Then you can pause and rewind all you want.

Thanks for the great info... I am getting the costco card, but where do you put a referral account number in ?? is my friend then getting a discount too ?

Sort of true. You can start the recording from the HD receiver, you don't have to go to the DVR to do it. Then you can pause and rewind all you want.

I'm used to the Dish setup with one receiver that is controlled by 2 remotes - one for each of two tv's. I'm trying to decide if I need a DVR as my 2nd receiver for TV#2 instead of an HD receiver - so that I can have the Directv setup operate the way I'm used to with Dish (if anyone knows). Currently I can start recordings, pause live TV, or continue other recordings with the TV2 remote and view it all on TV2.

Right now I'm signed up for an HD-DVR for TV1 and an HD receiver for TV2 with whole home DVR access.

Should I change the 2nd receiver to a DVR?

I don't necessarily need HD on TV2 since mine is SD right now, but the HD receiver was free at signup as opposed to $99 for a DVR receiver.

(I can start a new thread for this topic if you like, but it seems like another way of asking the 1st question from the OP)

Thanks for your responses...

Last edited:
I'm guessing that I was able to answer this from another thread and I'm requesting that D* change my order to 2 HD-DVR's. Can anyone verify?

I'm not a Costco member, signed up for Direct thru the Costco site, installed & activated service on 1-13, got the $180 gift card about a week later. Emailed Costco about using it at one of their stores, they said I could get a one day free membership at the cust service counter and there wouldn't be an upcharge.

I had read on the costco.com site that you can use a costco gift card to order, there is a 5% upcharge ordering thru the website if you're not a member. I didn't find anything on the website I wanted to order (they don't carry groceries, food, paper goods, etc) and that's what I'll probably end up using the gift card for so I'll have to use it in the store. I'd probably consider buying a membership if I had a Costco store closer to me, the closest one is about 45 miles away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)