Thinking of switching to D* with some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kirbyhawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
iowa
Appreciate anyone who might have some answers for me. I have been an E* subscriber for about 5 years and am looking to switch to DirecTV - am tired of the unprofessionalism of E* and am looking for more sports, and I am willing to eat the rest of my contract to make this happen.

1) Is there any advantage to calling a local dealer to install DirecTV versus the national website?
2) I use Qwest for Internet, which has a bundling agreement with DirecTV. Do I need to sign up for DirecTV through them, or can I just call Qwest after the fact to get them to bundle everthing?
3) Do the full-time RSN's in HD show anything else in HD besides the games and their pre/post game shows?

Thanks for anyone who might have answers for me.

You will be happy with Directv.
I'm not a Fan of bundle packs with satellite service, Mainly because most times you don't have full control over your satellite services, you have to deal with Phone company in many cases.
And Quite frankly the savings are minimal at best.

The RSN's do show some addtional HD besides the basics, But don't be fooled they are still RSN's and the programming is still really limited unless you wish to subscribe to seasonal sports packs.
If you want MLB Extra Innings RSN's are Great.
Just be aware is all I'm telling you. Test it out , If you don't like it you can Drop the RSN's in 30 days.

Directvs Equipment is better then most providers, But in My honest opinion your taking a step down if you had Dishnetwork VIP equipment. But Not a major step, so don't worry.

Premium channels are D* weakest point. They have less the Dish SD and HD and cost is about the same sometimes more for less.
But D* basic Packages are OK,,,, Family is a Joke at $30, Choice package Isn't worth $55 but not unreasonable,
but Choice Extra I feel is worth $60 the best deal IMO, Or the Choice HD/DVR at $76 per month is a good value.

D* customer service is good,and the Slimline dish I feel is a Great Satellite Dish, But at 32x24 its not a small dish.
My biggest issues have always been the operation of the HR receivers. The Hardware is best around,looks by far the best, But the software is buggy and the CE process has been trying to profect them since they first came out. They have gotten better, But Quite Honestly the HR20 is the best one out of all the HR's And its just too bad they are really Really Limited now days.
Good luck! Enjoy

1) Is there any advantage to calling a local dealer to install DirecTV versus the national website? You can always try it.
2) I use Qwest for Internet, which has a bundling agreement with DirecTV. Do I need to sign up for DirecTV through them, or can I just call Qwest after the fact to get them to bundle everthing? I would try doing it through Qwest first.
3) Do the full-time RSN's in HD show anything else in HD besides the games and their pre/post game shows? Yes, but out of market pro sporting events are blacked out. Blackouts can be avoided with additional sports subscriptions (IOW, if you buy EI for example, you can then watch the out of market baseball games on the RSNs).

Thinking of switching to D* from E* also with questions

I am on the fence about switching to D* with HD Dvr

1. I need to know if I can hook up an external hard drive and is there a fee to turn on service like E* does.

2. Can I hook my OTA outside antenna to the receiver (and show up in guide)or do I need to hook it to the tv direct?

3. Can I use the AAA($10) discount and the improved referral offer ($100) together because they have different phone numbers for each offer?

4. Can I upgrade remotes to an RF remote?

5. Can I request a SWM switch install? I plan on an HD Dvr and 2 SD receivers.

:confused:

1. I need to know if I can hook up an external hard drive and is there a fee to turn on service like E* does. Yes, but it becomes you main drive and you cannot transfer it to other DVRs. No fee though.

2. Can I hook my OTA outside antenna to the receiver (and show up in guide)or do I need to hook it to the tv direct? Yes you can. With the HR20 the OTA tuner is built in. With any other model you need to add an AM21 (external OTA tuner). The OTA channels will be integrated into the guide.

3. Can I use the AAA($10) discount and the improved referral offer ($100) together because they have different phone numbers for each offer? Don't know.

4. Can I upgrade remotes to an RF remote? Edit: It comes with one.

5. Can I request a SWM switch install? I plan on an HD Dvr and 2 SD receivers. Depends on the installer. You can try to request it.

Last edited:
Not sure about anyone else but when I signed up with the 1800 # my install date was set for like 3 weeks later, I called a local installer and got a same day install.

If I am not mistaken, the HR series comes with the RF remote. I know mine did.

I'm not a Fan of bundle packs with satellite service, Mainly because most times you don't have full control over your satellite services, you have to deal with Phone company in many cases.

The RSN's do show some addtional HD besides the basics, But don't be fooled they are still RSN's and the programming is still really limited unless you wish to subscribe to seasonal sports packs.
Just be aware is all I'm telling you. Test it out , If you don't like it you can Drop the RSN's in 30 days.

Directvs Equipment is better then most providers, But in My honest opinion your taking a step down if you had Dishnetwork VIP equipment. But Not a major step, so don't worry.

Premium channels are D* weakest point. They have less the Dish SD and HD and cost is about the same sometimes more for less.
But D* basic Packages are OK,,,, Family is a Joke at $30, Choice package Isn't worth $55 but not unreasonable,
but Choice Extra I feel is worth $60 the best deal IMO, Or the Choice HD/DVR at $76 per month is a good value.

D* customer service is good,and the Slimline dish I feel is a Great Satellite Dish, But at 32x24 its not a small dish.
My biggest issues have always been the operation of the HR receivers. The Hardware is best around,looks by far the best, But the software is buggy and the CE process has been trying to profect them since they first came out. They have gotten better, But Quite Honestly the HR20 is the best one out of all the HR's And its just too bad they are really Really Limited now days.
Good luck! Enjoy

this pretty much sums it up. :up good job hemi

Good luck! Enjoy

this pretty much sums it up. :up good job hemi

I agree with Rey. Hemi did a good job with his run down. They only point I will add is that today I got a new software release for my HR22 and this release seems to have made the box faster and about the same speed as my HR20 which up until the latest software release for the HR22, was always much faster than the HR22.

I agree with Rey. Hemi did a good job with his run down. They only point I will add is that today I got a new software release for my HR22 and this release seems to have made the box faster and about the same speed as my HR20 which up until the latest software release for the HR22, was always much faster than the HR22.

sent you a pm

I would recommend that you call you call a locals installer, but if you want to get the referral program you have to call the special number for that.

You can get the referral program through a local dealer if they are signed up for the program. Request it and have the account number of the referer.

You are correct. You can switch the remote it comes with from IR to RF.
Yeah, and apparently the H series does (or did) come with the duel mode remote also. I have three I know, maybe 4. I need to check the other one.

Anyone in need of one? Let me know

I signed up!!

I called the 800# for AAA discount today. I got the HD DVR package with the add on HD Extra package (6 more channels) and the protection plan.

I got the following discounts.

1. $10/month for 2 years (AAA)
2. $21/month online rebate for 1 year (promo)
3. $10/month for 10 months refferal ($100 for me and $100 for friend.)
4. 3 months free HBO,Starz and Showtime
5. 1 year free Showtime starts on the 4th month (15 months total)

Was told the HD DVR comes with RF remote because it is a premium receiver.

Install will be this Sunday :D

Thanks to all that replied to my post. I hope I have happy viewing. I realize D*
DVR is not as good as the one I have with E* now.
I like the fact that I can hook up an external HD FREE unlike E*
I read another post saying there is a software update that speeds up the system somewhat.

Cheers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)