Thinking of switching to Directv....some questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
During the regular season it isn't uncommon for me to have at least 3 recordings going on at once on my 722k, plus my adult son has his own hddvr recording his selection of terrible tv!

During the regular season it isn't uncommon for me to have at least 3 recordings going on at once on my 722k, plus my adult son has his own hddvr recording his selection of terrible tv!

there ya go
if adult son wants dvr he buys his own :)
all fixed for ya

there ya go
if adult son wants dvr he buys his own :)
all fixed for ya

Keyword: Adult. :) All kidding aside, they could probably give you 2 HD-DVRs free (I've seen it done) but you'll need to pay for the third one. They're not cheap at $199.99.

That was one of the main reasons why I didn't switch to D* earlier. But after selling my 622 and 211, I came up even. :D

lparsons21 said:
I've read a few postings in various places that indicate they might give up a little. Frankly at $300 for equipment, it wouldn't be a very good deal.

I had forgotten about the remote app, I suppose it will work on the iPad?

Yes, both iPad and iPhone.

I had a 722 with Dish and often had three things recording at once; so I got two DVRs with Dish, plus another box for a third TV. I paid $148 for all three. I don't think that's all that bad. Furthermore, Dish charges a monthly fee for each DVR, whereas DirecTV charges one monthly fee regardless of how many DVRs you have...is that correct? If so, I think I'll be money ahead over the months, with four tuners to boot.

I've started getting familiar with the new interface, and I like it. The only glaring inferior aspect that I've seen is the guide display. It's nice looking, but I liked that Dish's would show three hours at a time. I also think the program descriptions were easier to read. Still overall, I'm really impressed.

Furthermore, Dish charges a monthly fee for each DVR, whereas DirecTV charges one monthly fee regardless of how many DVRs you have...is that correct? If so, I think I'll be money ahead over the months, with four tuners to boot.

Yes, that is true. E* is a DVR free per box, D* is per account. 1 DVR or 5, its still $7/m.

No, not 'at least double' Some examples:

622/722/722k - Dual SAT tuners, at leas one OTA tuner, and capable of supporting 2 independent TV (yes, one will be SD) : $17/month. To get 2 TVs supported independently, even if one is only SD with Direct would be $12 because it would take 2 receivers.

612 - This one is quite similar to the D* HR line, with the addition of one OTA tuner, only 1 independent TV support : $10/month

So, NO, not at least double, not even any double when you look at what you'd need with D* to do the same thing.

Note I'm not saying that E*'s receiver fees are great, they aren't and I don't like them either. But they aren't double the D* charge either.

OK, some general questions now.

1. I know you can go online with D* to add to your subscription, but can you go there to subtract from it? I juggle my premiums and sub level around quite a few times a year and hate calling in and wasting time with all the BS before you get to the actual CSR. With E*, you can almost do anything online in your account directly, or via chat. How's D* for that?

2. With MRV, how's the streamed video from the remote DVR to the receiving one? Is it as good as from the sat itself? How about video/audio sync?

d* charges $6 per receiver. they don't care if its a dvr or not, its all the same.
i like having an independent receiver in each location
if that 722 needs to record then the sd tv2 has to watch what its recording iirc

1. I know you can go online with D* to add to your subscription, but can you go there to subtract from it? I juggle my premiums and sub level around quite a few times a year and hate calling in and wasting time with all the BS before you get to the actual CSR. With E*, you can almost do anything online in your account directly, or via chat. How's D* for that?

2. With MRV, how's the streamed video from the remote DVR to the receiving one? Is it as good as from the sat itself? How about video/audio sync?

1. there is alot you can do on the interface, but ive never tried any of it
2. never seen any issues.

d* charges $6 per receiver. they don't care if its a dvr or not, its all the same.
i like having an independent receiver in each location
if that 722 needs to record then the sd tv2 has to watch what its recording iirc

We weren't talking about 'likes' here!! :)

I want a receiver at each TV too. My current setup is a 722k on my plasma, and a 612 on my son's rear projector. I can record up to 4 things at once, while playing a recorded event, he can record up to 3 things at once. For these 7 tuners on 2 receivers, I pay $10/month lease and the DVR fee. So yes, a bit higher than a D* receiver, but it is MORE receiver imo.

Trying to contact a member for referral / RAF I get the message "can't send PM before 1 post 's"
What to do?
Thanks

We weren't talking about 'likes' here!! :)

I want a receiver at each TV too. My current setup is a 722k on my plasma, and a 612 on my son's rear projector. I can record up to 4 things at once, while playing a recorded event, he can record up to 3 things at once. For these 7 tuners on 2 receivers, I pay $10/month lease and the DVR fee. So yes, a bit higher than a D* receiver, but it is MORE receiver imo.

the fewer boxes the closer the price is.
when you get more then 2 boxes is where d* pulls ahead
since the price is the same for any box, you can afford the monthly hit easier
would you rather pay for 6 hr24's($30) or 6 722's ($85)
both give first free
yeah six is extreme, but some people do it

lparsons21 said:

In regard to question one, no to subtract you have to call. It's kind of a pain, though when you call to downgrade in my experience program credits will be provided

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

I had forgotten about the remote app, I suppose it will work on the iPad?
The DIRECTV remote app only works at home. Their separate Internet app can only program recordings so you can't manage recordings while away from home without something like a Slingbox.

The DIRECTV remote app only works at home. Their separate Internet app can only program recordings so you can't manage recordings while away from home without something like a Slingbox.

From home would be good enough. I would want to schedule other HDDVR from my main viewing area when there is a conflict or more on than one HDDVR can record.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)