Thinking of Switching to DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kilbey

Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Good Day, I have subscribed to Dish Network for 3 years now, and I have never really been happy with their channel packages.
I am currently subscribing to America's 180 for $52.99 a month.
I can subscribe to Total Choice @ DTV for 42.99 and receive the same channels that I watch on Dish.

My question is : Can I use my Dish Sats for DTV?
I have 1 dish500 pointed at 110 & 119 Sat, and 1 dish pointed at 61.5 (receives 2 of my local channels).
Does DTV use the same two dish setup? Or does DTV use a single dish to receive all programing?

What are the pro's and cons?

Thank You,
Brian
Atlanta, Ga

No, you will need a new dish from D*. They have been running a bunch of specials lately for 3-4 receivers, free basic installation and if you sign up for Total Choice Pluss you'll get the first three months service for $29.99 per month (+$4.99 per month for each additional receiver). I think this special is still running, check D*'s website to see. If you had D* before and don't think you'll qualify for a "new customer" offer, then sign up in your spouse's name.

I just ordered DTV

I have been with Dish Network for almost two years and am in the same boat. I pay $52 a month and watch basically the channels in DTV Total Choice Plus package. I'm out of contract on June 13th and called DirecTV last night and told the guy I was a Dish Network customer and used to be a DirecTV customer about 8 years ago. I asked him to work me a deal. I'm getting two Directivos, 3 LNB dish, installation for free. No shipping or anything. The only thing I wanted was a third Tivo which he said the system wouldn't let him order for me till the system was installed. He told me if I called back in they would sell it for $99 and waive the shipping and install of it too.

I'm getting hooked on the 10th.

Yes you can get most of all ur channels for less on DTV but I feel there are two points to bring out.

1. If you need your locals sometimes Dish is the only one to have them. There are very few people around who dont care about locals.

2 With the Dish Dual tuners receivers you can have the Top 180 $52.99 package and if they are plug into phone lines you can have 4 people with the ability to watch different programing at the same cost that only 2 people can at the same cost of the DTV 42.99 package. And the truth is there is more in the top 180 package but it may not be what you watch.

There are othe benifits to DTV like only 1 DVR fee for account but it all seems to wash out the same when i look at it.

Also Dish is not making if very cost effective to get the new dual tuner receivers for old customers but most all receivers for both DTV and Dish are going to change with MEPG 4 or so i have been told.

stay

kilbey said:
Good Day, I have subscribed to Dish Network for 3 years now, and I have never really been happy with their channel packages.
I am currently subscribing to America's 180 for $52.99 a month.
I can subscribe to Total Choice @ DTV for 42.99 and receive the same channels that I watch on Dish.

My question is : Can I use my Dish Sats for DTV?
I have 1 dish500 pointed at 110 & 119 Sat, and 1 dish pointed at 61.5 (receives 2 of my local channels).
Does DTV use the same two dish setup? Or does DTV use a single dish to receive all programing?

What are the pro's and cons?

Thank You,
Brian
Atlanta, Ga

i came from dish, now i wish i was back,do yourself a favor don't switch

cobra55 said:
i came from dish, now i wish i was back,do yourself a favor don't switch

How about answering his question and give him some pros and cons instead of just bashing one or the other?

Kilbey and Papacorn first off welcome to Satelliteguys! And second I recommend you take a good hard look at what both providers offer and make your own educated decision. I think both providers have some excellent offerings it basically boils down to personal preferences....

If the original poster (kilbey) is indeed in Atlanta, the locals are off the main satellite slot at 101. kilbey will be better off with a professionally installed system, so that the installer can assess whether or not the Dish Network dish is even needed.

There are very few areas which aren't served by locals. I believe Dish Network has about a 2 percent household edge on what is served. So I believe papacorn is in good shape, as well. Since DirecTV is tossing in a tri-LNB dish, it is likely his locals come from the 119 slot (a tri-LNB dish wouldn't be needed for anything else, other than HD or Para Todos).

There are very few areas which aren't served by locals.[/QUOTE said:
Unfortunately D* does not have locals for the area I am in (Abilene, TX) E* does but you couldn't pry my HDTivo out of my dead hands....

Also, of HD is your thing or will be in the future, then D* seems to be the better choice. I'm basing that off their new satellites and their plans to offer national and local HD channels in the near future.

Plywodstatebum said:
And D* has allot better customer service.

I would point you to the J.d. Power Associates ranking as a proof of customer service, I am not saying that Directv is better, or Dish network is better, I am saying they are the same, but they gave the award to Dish. Again, I would say Both Sat Providers have great customer service.

Neutron said:
Also, of HD is your thing or will be in the future, then D* seems to be the better choice. I'm basing that off their new satellites and their plans to offer national and local HD channels in the near future.

Jason, what about dish's plans, I dont think they have released any yet, but do you think they are just waiting to get Vooms satellite off of them and get it up and running? or am I missing something. Also do you think that Dish network will just let Directv run away with the HD race? at the least I think they will match everyting directv does (and maybe take the lead as they get voom 21 operational)

Plywodstatebum said:
Well I'm speaking from experience, Who believes that J.D.Powers crap?, They never called me or anyone I know. Or I bet any of you people that read this, So where do they get there info?
I sorta believe it, as so far they have been right on about time warner and directv, and dish network, for me, you may have had a bad experience and you have every right to vent, I am just the guy on the other side of the fence that is all.

I myself have been considering a switch to D* for quite a while, but I will hold off until later this year or next spring just for the fact that changes for both are coming by this time. It appears from what i have been reading on this site that D* may have the edge on E* for new (and cool) stuff, whether it be HD or DVR solutions. If that turns out to be true, then you will get the best deal by going to them as a NEW customer as opposed to getting the shaft as an existing customer.... At least that has been my experience with E* so far, IMHO...

D had good customer service??? Went to a ladies house today as she called me because D wanted $70.00 I.R. sensor is bad on the reciever. She has three months left on contract. To replace the reciever they said $30 for reciever plus $70.00 for service call plus another 12 month commitmnet. Or they will mail her one for $49.99 plus $14.95 shipping and no commitment. Both options are for remanufactured recievers. This was all decided after being passsed around between CSR, tech support, and advanced tech support for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Finally she hung up and asked me if I could get her Dish Network.

yeah I had directv at my old house and they came out and installed it, within two days the Lnb was bad and wouldnt feed both my tvs, I called them as it was their installer everything, they say sorry that will be I think 90 dollars, so every company INCLUDING cable will give you these charges, I guess for some people they just have to experience to believe

DirecTV usually will send an installer out for free if the reason isn't your fault. I strongly recommend the protection plan because if you had it, you would get everything replaced~! In the long run, it's gonna be worth it because things will go out on your system. As with any electronic device, things fail on it, so thus, things must be replaced.

KJ

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)