Thinking of switching

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasnhrpr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Charleston, WV
I posted this on the Dish Network forum and I thought I would post it over here as well to get the most feedback so I can make my decision.

Does anybody have a link to a channel comparison between Directv and Dish Network? It seems like I saw one somewhere on here before. I want to see which channels I may lose/gain by switching to Directv.
Anyway, I have been with Dish Network for almost two years now. I have a Vip 722 and 211k. I have been frustrated with them several times. first over Turbo HD, which was the reason I signed up with them in the first place, and now over the loss of the Disney channels and ESPN news. I got upset when they didn't add any new channels to TurboHD and raised the prices significantly at the same time, so I switched over to classic silver and they gave me discount for a while. That discount has now ran out and I'm seriously considering making the switch over to Directv. They have some really good offers right now. Give me the pros/cons of making the switch.
Thanks,
Jason

I gave this a lot of thought....as a NEW customer that has had both in the past.

1. I had too many HD TVs. The receiver fees would have killed me for DVRs, so I was going to have to go with 211k's ($7/mo) and add a lot of external hard drives. That meant being stuck with single tuner "dvrs" after the one time $39.99 charge plus having to buy a bunch of external USB hard drives. Either those or 612 receivers, which are $10/ea and again are Single tuner and old. I would have had $21-$30 for 4 receivers fees, compared to $15 with DirecTV....and they are all MRV compatible lastest generation dual tuner receivers.

2. I thought DISH had a stronger NON-sports HD channel offering, but DirecTV was strong on the sports side. I trusted DirecTV to be able to add more with their fleet up there and going up there.

3. The $29 first year/$14 second year discount that is available in certain areas was a nice benefit....a 2nd year discount is rare in Sat TV land.

4. Being able to get a $10/10 months referral discount for me and my friend was another bonus.

5. Thought the 922 was a bust personally.

6. The fact that Directv just released the HR24 line....the thought of getting brand new, fast receivers got rid of one of the downfalls of DirecTV (slow receivers)

7. MRV!!!!! MRV!!!! Thats just awesome and will be very well utilized at my place.

8. I like the DirecTV remote

9. The full time HD regional sports networks

10. NASCAR HOTPASS and some of the other cool sports related cool stuff like mix channels and the score stuff.

11. $350 rebate available from Best Buy when purchased with a $499 or above HDTV...which I did take advantage of.

12. DirecTV matched DISH's FREE HD for LIFE promo.

13. I kinda distrust Dish's CEO Charlie and the decisions he makes. The current DISNEY issue, the TIVO lawsuit, etc...... In Charlie Chat he doesn't even seem to know what's going on.

14. Some repeat of the above points, but the bottom line is it was a better value for me!

Against DirecTV

1. My local market will not being going HD anytime soon on DirecTV.

2. Can't take external HD recording to another receiver......but who cares with MRV

3. NO EPIX channel

4. No built in OTA tuner, available on some DISH models ($60 with external AM21).

5. Up to 4 items can record at a time on a DISH receiver with 2 SAT and 2 OTA tuners, DirecTV can't do that. MRV helps that too. Just record it on another box....but a hassle.

Keep in mind, I was *THIS* close to signing up for DISH a couple months ago, thinking the 922 sling loaded receiver was going to be enough to put me over the top. I won't go through the list of why that was not the case.

Last edited:
Yeah again I'm really like Direct! Their site better their packages just seem to have a better over all better variety. Plus their sports are better as well so you can not go wrong. :)

I was with DirecTV since 1996 and a new Dishnetwork customer going into my 6th month,My change was forced by the economy and a strong dislike of Directvs DVR fee and clunky slow DVR. "The HR24 may be the first exception to the rule but I've yet to see/play with one."

If money wasn't a problem I would still be with DirecTV HD with a bill around $80 a month,Right now I have a 211k HD on the eastern arc and external hard drive DVR with a monthly bill around $30. "No monthly DVR fee,Just a one time $40 EHD activation fee."

Will receive a $15 credit for the next 6 months.

If you are big into sports I recommend you stay with DirecTV.

DirecTV = "Grade A"
Dishnetwork = "Grade B"
Cable = "Grade C-"

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)