This Has Been The Worst Season In NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the officiating was terrible this year... ditch replay going to central location & going over every other play.

I don't think the central location had anything to do with it, and if the end result is getting the calls right I really don't care.

If they wouldn't have overturned the Dez Bryant catch because of some replay technicality it would have been a travesty, those are the kinds of calls you need to get right.

I'd be interested in seeing some figures about average length of replay, but didn't have an issue with it this year and for the most part think this is just a convenient issue to blame.

Personally, I think they should have the replays In the Stadiums, by former referees, not in some room in NY ....

The NHL does this same thing in Toronto and I hate that also.

Fwiw, Baseball should have them AT the games as well, not in wherever it is, NY I think.

Replay reviews should be gone from the game! If you have to have them, then fine... Rule. If it takes longer to review than it takes for the next play, then it can't be reversed. If the game is delayed ONE second by the replay, the ruling on the field stands. It has to be OBVIOUS to Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles that the call was wrong, otherwise, let them play!

Reactions: dfergie
Personally, I think they should have the replays In the Stadiums, by former referees, not in some room in NY ....
How would that make the process better, faster, etc.?? They would be looking at the same replays as NY. Plus, they probably don't have the manpower to staff former officials in every stadium.

The intent was to centralize rule interpretations, having them come from one place.

I don't like the new rules they are going to implement in the Pro Bowl. Changing the field goal to the 15 yard line and pulling the goal posts in.

How would that make the process better, faster, etc.?? They would be looking at the same replays as NY. Plus, they probably don't have the manpower to staff former officials in every stadium.

The intent was to centralize rule interpretations, having them come from one place.
Why not, its called making JOBS ....

Great, even more part time employees. Other than these 17 day a year jobs, you still haven't given any advantages to your method....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why take the game away from the stadium, do you think that the people in the stadium can't do the same job they can in NY ?

I think putting people to work at stadiums in these situations is a GREAT idea.

Obviously, you have a reason for wanting everyone in NY, but I don't know what it is.

Theres No reason for these GAME calls to have to leave the stadium to make a call.

If they do it in baseball, its not a part time gig .... its 6 months out of the year for all home games.

Why take the game away from the stadium, do you think that the people in the stadium can't do the same job they can in NY ?

I think putting people to work at stadiums in these situations is a GREAT idea.

Obviously, you have a reason for wanting everyone in NY, but I don't know what it is.

Theres No reason for these GAME calls to have to leave the stadium to make a call.

If they do it in baseball, its not a part time gig .... its 6 months out of the year for all home games.
That doesn't make any sense either, what does it being viewed from NY have anything to do with it? What's the difference between a room of monitors in one room or another?

So symbolically you object, at least the timing objections actually are a defensible argument over the symbolic one you're hanging your hat on.

Replay in the last 2 rounds of playoffs (and I assume the SB) were from one of the playoff game host stadiums BTW.

That doesn't make any sense either, what does it being viewed from NY have anything to do with it? What's the difference between a room of monitors in one room or another?

So symbolically you object, at least the timing objections actually are a defensible argument over the symbolic one you're hanging your hat on.

Replay in the last 2 rounds of playoffs (and I assume the SB) were from one of the playoff game host stadiums BTW.
I hang my hat on the fact that important calls in ANY sport should never have to LEAVE the stadium ...

Hire former refs to view the replays, keep jobs going for people.

I don't think calls should be decided in NY or Toronto or anywhere else outside of THAT stadium.

Reactions: dfergie
If I'm not mistaken one of the main reasons it was centralized in one location was to give consistency. Too many blown calls. Too much inconsistency in the way refs were calling the game. Personally I like the idea of centralized review, especially if those doing it are the best of the best. I do think, though, that it changes the dynamic of the game, though. Who hasn't suspected that officials make the occasional questionable call to make up for something that that happened previously or bring balance to the game? That is part of the game and having someone review a play that has not been following the game takes that away. I'm not suggesting the officials on the field are partial or retaliatory, but they are going to be much more in touch with game dynamics and patterns.

I think the best solution to inconsistency with officiating is to stop changing the rules. It seems to me many of the reviewed or overturned calls have involved an obscure rule or technicality. Football was a lot more fun (though admittedly more dangerous) when the rules were simple!

I hang my hat on the fact that important calls in ANY sport should never have to LEAVE the stadium ...

Hire former refs to view the replays, keep jobs going for people.

I don't think calls should be decided in NY or Toronto or anywhere else outside of THAT stadium.
Hope you didn't like that hat because it's gone.

The calls are still made in the stadium, that part hasn't changed. The field referee still makes the final call, he is simply guided by NY in rule interpretations. As said by many here, it's for consistency in applying the rules.

Giving jobs to old, retired officials 17 days a year would clearly not improve the process.

Hope you didn't like that hat because it's gone.

The calls are still made in the stadium, that part hasn't changed. The field referee still makes the final call, he is simply guided by NY in rule interpretations. As said by many here, it's for consistency in applying the rules.

Giving jobs to old, retired officials 17 days a year would clearly not improve the process.

Yes, always in NY ...

I remember I think it was last year baseball season when the yankees got a CLEARLY wrong call go thier way at home.
Had officials in the park dealt with it instead at least they may have got the call right.

Ok, if the call is still made IN the stadium for football, why can't they make thier own conclusions, they have what 4-5 people watching the play intently and can discuss amoungst them selves ... Thats like saying, OK, we admit, the 4-5 of us are stupid and cannot make up our mind, what do you see in NY ?

With all the cameras, do we really need officials on the field, they can easily watch it from NY.

Sorry, don't want to give them anymore ideas.

Ok, if the call is still made IN the stadium for football, why can't they make thier own conclusions, they have what 4-5 people watching the play intently and can discuss amoungst them selves ... Thats like saying, OK, we admit, the 4-5 of us are stupid and cannot make up our mind, what do you see in NY ?

With all the cameras, do we really need officials on the field, they can easily watch it from NY.

Sorry, don't want to give them anymore ideas.
Do you even read other's posts?? NY is used to ensure consistency in applying rule interpretations. Final decisions on catch/no catch, fumble/no fumble, etc. are still made by the on-field officials.

Do you even read other's posts?? NY is used to ensure consistency in applying rule interpretations. Final decisions on catch/no catch, fumble/no fumble, etc. are still made by the on-field officials.

Who's watching the watchers, those in NY then ?

Do I read the other posts ?
Yes, just not yours ....
Your the only one complaining here.

Super Bowl the final act of the NFL's worst season
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150131/fbn--super_bowl-nfls_worst_season-a6d36fcafe.html
It's a tribute to America's obsession with football that what feels like a trivial tale about flatter-than-normal footballs hasn't abated as the week's top story, even with a looming matchup between New England and Seattle. The Patriots were accused of providing under-inflated footballs for their AFC championship win, and an investigation will be concluded after the title game. That was the lead story on all three major-network news broadcasts one evening.
Hmmmmmm
Another story that won't end: Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch's refusal to play nice with the media and the NFL's uncertainty about how, or whether, to enforce rules that compel players to do interviews.
"I did 35 radio interviews this week," Steinberg said. "That's all anyone wanted to talk about."
Hmmmmmmm,REALLY?
But it's issues such as Deflategate, the confusing rules and the competence of the NFL's officials that could damage the league most.
There's a general assumption, Steinberg said, "that the contests are performed with equal rules, equal officiating and the games turn on coaching and players who play on the field.
"Any suggestion that something else is happening, that there may be cheating or unfair enforcement, is an existential threat to the NFL," he said.
Interesting
The domestic violence crisis that exploded when Ray Rice — the former Baltimore Ravens running back — punched his fiancé and Adrian Peterson — the Minnesota Vikings star — whipped his son with a tree branch has been treated mostly in general terms this week.
Goodell used the words "domestic violence" only once during his nearly 50-minute news conference, instead referring to it more than once as part of a set of "complex issues."
Domestic violence accusations against players garnered as much attention for the NFL's handling of them — most notably, Rice's two-game suspension that was made indefinite when video of the punch surfaced, then overturned by an arbitrator — as the charges themselves.
Crap,does anybody remember what happened ON THE FIELD this past season?

I rest my case,apology accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)