this is what you call HD? seriously?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Vurbano, are you going to answer my question?
He can have his opinion. It is a wrong one. I just tried to guess as to why he was so wrong. He said ALL of his programming looked great. You would have to have serious sight problems to think that any of the channels on the 70's look as good as StarzHD on the new sat, or bad equipment.

My neighbor has FIOS. Obviously we can't put the pictures side by side, but he said he thinks the new MPEG-4 channels are as good as anything he gets. We watched the Boston Bruins game on NESN last night and he said it it was the best sports picture quality he had ever seen. Superb!

i watch hdnet (79) and espn (73) for football and mma fighting and every1 i know thinks its awsome even though they are on the 70 channels

With HD bandwidth such a tight commodity, it seems that Directv would be better off allocating transponder space to only those stations that can deliver 50%+ of their programming in HD. Otherwise, it's just a waste and I don't believe that providers have any incentive once they have that space to provide anything other than upconverted programming.

With HD bandwidth such a tight commodity, it seems that Directv would be better off allocating transponder space to only those stations that can deliver 50%+ of their programming in HD. Otherwise, it's just a waste and I don't believe that providers have any incentive once they have that space to provide anything other than upconverted programming.

Most of these channels are simulcasts, meaning they already had "space" on D*'s lineup. If they have no plans to ever show HD programming, why launch an HD channel?

If a PROVIDER, such as TBS, launches a channel they call TBS-HD and it only has 10% or less of ACTUAL HD content, what are DBS companies supposed to do?
Look for another channel that has more than one or two hours per day of HD programming to claim as an addition to your "HD lineup".

Look for another channel that has more than one or two hours per day of HD programming to claim as an addition to your "HD lineup".
Saturday and Sunday sports aside, this is the same thing most of your Big 4 networks do, and i doubt many people have a problem calling them HD channels. Whats the difference.

Whats the difference.
ABC offers six hours of their most popular programming in HD today (Monday). NBC offers 7+ hours on a weekday. Fox and CBS offer upwards of 3 hours per weekday.

SciFi reportedly offers about 4-6 hours per week.

The Big Four are important if for no other reason than almost everyone having access.

ABC offers six hours of their most popular programming in HD today (Monday). NBC offers 7+ hours on a weekday. Fox and CBS offer upwards of 3 hours per weekday.

SciFi reportedly offers about 4-6 hours per week.

The Big Four are important if for no other reason than almost everyone having access.
Yes more peope have access, but original series is what is being show in HD on these new channels(which is bascally the same as the networks). That and movies. The number of HD minutes has gone up considerably on them since launch.

The number of HD minutes has gone up considerably on them since launch.

And that's the point. Remember how much HD the networks, ESPN, etc had just a couple years ago? Heck, even a year ago for some of them... they'll add more programming, and probably much quicker than some of the more established networks did.

And that's the point. Remember how much HD the networks, ESPN, etc had just a couple years ago? Heck, even a year ago for some of them... they'll add more programming, and probably much quicker than some of the more established networks did.
I imagine so. Its amazing how some people seem to think this should or could be done overnight.

The bottom line is all these newcomers have to start somewhere and I can't see why some of you think that they should not even launch before than can commit to a certain % or better. Hell just a few weeks ago everyone was bitching that there was nothing at all. You guys should just be a bit more patient. You obviously have no idea what all this takes to achieve or how to run any type of successful business.

Last edited:
this is what you call HD? seriously

He can have his opinion. It is a wrong one. I just tried to guess as to why he was so wrong. He said ALL of his programming looked great. .. . . .QUOTE]

That's NOT what he said, he said his HD programming looked great. He never stated that ALL his programming looked great. Go back and re-read his original post.

Someone owes Donnie0328 an apology!

Guess who it is, V.

Unfortunately we are all about to be screwed when it comes to programming for a while now. With the writer strike expected to last a number of months no new HD programming will be on the horizon soon. If it hasn't already been shot it is not finished shooting it is not going to be finished anytime soon. They have already cancelled 24 for next year because of the strike. Most new productions are beginning to be offered in HD but it takes time and with the strike happening it is going to pushback the process even more now.

Let alone the manufacturers can't keep up with the HD technical needs. I know that for the place I work at we could only get a certain number of HD cameras to replace our old SD cameras because that was all they had available because they are selling out so fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)