This is why I hate HOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Ok, so I know not all HOA's would be as obsurd as this one, but the fact that a HOA can tell you how you can and can not use your property and how you can and can not keep your property just angers me to no end! This story just goes to show you how overboard and HOA can get!

HandelontheLaw.com - News

HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION HAS PROBLEM WITH RESIDENT'S FORD PICKUP
Tuesday, August 19, 2008

20080819_ford.jpg
If there's one thing Texans are serious about, it's pickups.

But a Frisco man says his truck is being targeted simply because his homeowners association doesn't think it's classy enough.

Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Mr. Greenwood, you're violating a subdivision rule that prohibits pickup trucks in your driveway," the notice reads.

Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted.

"It's very frustrating and confusing. It's hard to imagine how an HOA would try to dictate what type of vehicle you can drive and park in your driveway," Mr. Greenwood said.

Bill Osborn of the HOA board said the association also prohibits boats, trailers, golf carts and RVs in driveways.

"The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

Mr. Greenwood appealed, claiming his Ford F-150 isn't much different from the Lincoln Mark LT.

"The response was: 'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,' " he said.

"Furthermore, one board member told my wife that if we don't like it, we can move."

HOA officials said that many Stonebriar homeowners own pickups but that they abide by the rules and keep them parked in their garages.

"A Chevy Suburban can be in the driveway," Mr. Greenwood said. "If we had a big Hummer, that could be in the driveway. If we had a Lincoln Mark LT, that could be in the driveway. But a Ford F-150 can't.

"That doesn't make sense."

McKinney Ford dealer Bob Tomes agreed. In Texas, he said, truck owners should have the right to park their pickups on their driveways – even in a gated community.

Who said "A little revolution every now and then is a good thing?"

I live in the country surrounded by forest so I don't have to deal with "neighbors". The LAST thing I would ever want to do is move anywhere with covenants that govern my lifestyle. I can put up with the (limited) code issues, but that's where I draw the line.

One thing I learned about HOAs (from my Mom's condo experience) is that the members are often those with the smallest minds and biggest mouths, and overwhelmed with the power.

A suggestion for that F-150 owner - get a vehicle cover with the image of an Escalade painted on 5 sides...

So.. did the guy not read the HOA rules before moving in or buying the truck? He made the decision to move there and to break the rules.

Are the rules idiotic, of course! But hey, what does that say about a person who willingly moves into a neighborhood that has such idiotic rules?

So.. did the guy not read the HOA rules before moving in or buying the truck? He made the decision to move there and to break the rules.

Are the rules idiotic, of course! But hey, what does that say about a person who willingly moves into a neighborhood that has such idiotic rules?

If only it were that easy. Many subdivisions have covenants that are no longer enforced. If a covenant is not enforced it becomes unenforcable at a later date.

Some covenants are enforced in a mannner that was never intended or explicitly written in to the covenants themselves. For example, my former association attempted to enforce a covenant that specified 2 or three rail vinyl fencing by adding architectural committee rules that specified maximum height and rail spacing that would eliminate the three rail option. The covenant also specified that a homeowner could fill between the rails with green mesh fencing. This was interpreted to mean one particular brand of spot welded wire fence.

Neither of these interpretations were written into the covenants and no prospective home buyer would have been aware until they attempted to submit something for approval.

I bet the "no trucks" thing was written as no vehicles in driveway and the selective enforcement is something that is not written down anywhere. I also bet the president of the HOA has an Escalade.

TO MAKE IT CLEAR, THE GOVERNMENT HAS ENOUGH RULES I HAVE TO OBEY ON MY OWN PROPERTY. I WOULD REFUSE TO PURCHASE PROPERTY WHERE I HAD TO LIVE BY ADDITIONAL RULES JUST BECAUSE THE HOUSE SAT ON A CERTAIN STREET. UNBELIEVEABLE.

Agread

If only it were that easy.
I bet the "no trucks" thing was written as no vehicles in driveway and the selective enforcement is something that is not written down anywhere. I also bet the president of the HOA has an Escalade.
It really is that easy and there are HOA's that state that pick ups cant be parked in driveways aswell some that prohibit flags and flag poles.

TO MAKE IT CLEAR, THE GOVERNMENT HAS ENOUGH RULES I HAVE TO OBEY ON MY OWN PROPERTY. I WOULD REFUSE TO PURCHASE PROPERTY WHERE I HAD TO LIVE BY ADDITIONAL RULES JUST BECAUSE THE HOUSE SAT ON A CERTAIN STREET. UNBELIEVEABLE.
Look at it like this and while I do agrea with you there is an arguement for a hoa.

You move to a nice neighborhood where the schools are top notch and your family and close friends live a block or two away. The crime is non existant and everyone knows each other and looks out for one another and the biggest problem is deciding what color to paint the shutters. The elderly couple across the street sell and move to Miami and the new owners move in with their teenage sons. A week later you come home to see that your new neighbors have parked two junkers in the side yard, a day later you hear the half dozen or so dogs barking in the backyard, a month later you wonder when theyr gonna cut the grass. Five years down the road the lawns destroyed, the house looks like its a shack from the east side and now you cant sell your house for less than $70k below the market value, a hoa would have helped. Think this cant happen? It did in my grandmothers street.

Sollar Panels?

I am considering installing solar panels to help cover a major portion of our electrical needs. I am in the "research phase", but I have already been told that my HOA won't permit them because they are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. What kind of crap is this? If I am willing to shell out 22-25K to help play a role in reducing our dependence on foreign and be a "green" citizen, then why should does the HOA have any say in the matter?

Anyway, are there any State and/or Federal Regulations that will protect me in this matter (I can't find any)? Thanks!

Agread
You move to a nice neighborhood where the schools are top notch and your family and close friends live a block or two away. The crime is non existant and everyone knows each other and looks out for one another and the biggest problem is deciding what color to paint the shutters. The elderly couple across the street sell and move to Miami and the new owners move in with their teenage sons. A week later you come home to see that your new neighbors have parked two junkers in the side yard, a day later you hear the half dozen or so dogs barking in the backyard, a month later you wonder when theyr gonna cut the grass. Five years down the road the lawns destroyed, the house looks like its a shack from the east side and now you cant sell your house for less than $70k below the market value, a hoa would have helped. Think this cant happen? It did in my grandmothers street.

Your local ordinances should cover most if not all of the problems you just mentioned.

This is one of those "two kinds of people" thing. I guess I will never be Van's neighbor, yet I wish him well with his HOA. I just ask that he doesn't move into my nice, but less restrictive neighborhood.

This is one of those "two kinds of people" thing. I guess I will never be Van's neighbor, yet I wish him well with his HOA. I just ask that he doesn't move into my nice, but less restrictive neighborhood.

Oh.. I think you have it confused. He doesn't have an HOA, but I think his grandmother does.

After reading Van's many posts about HIS neighbors, and the scrappers digging up hospital beds behind his house, there are more pressing issues than an HOA in his neighborhood. :) (No offense, Van, just making a point...)

I am considering installing solar panels to help cover a major portion of our electrical needs. I am in the "research phase", but I have already been told that my HOA won't permit them because they are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. What kind of crap is this? If I am willing to shell out 22-25K to help play a role in reducing our dependence on foreign and be a "green" citizen, then why should does the HOA have any say in the matter?

Anyway, are there any State and/or Federal Regulations that will protect me in this matter (I can't find any)? Thanks!

Very common HOA complaint. At this point, a handful of states prohibit HOAs from forbidding solar panels, but Texas is not one of them. There was a bill proposed in the 2007 legislative session, but it died on the vine. Maybe in 2009.

Eh none takin, this isnt the nicest neighborhood but its by far not the worst and even though I may be a minority where I live even though the goverment doesnt consider me one by race I think my neighbors for the most part are decent folk. Once or twice a week I take my daughter for a walk in our sub, the lady who lives one house down from us is a very good friend while the two ladies across the street are cordial friends. We all look out for each other wich I cant say for where I used to live and it was a nicer location however we will be making this our last year here as we have to get our daughter into a better school system next year than the ones that serve our side of town now. You guys will have to ask me sometime what I found out about the house across the street.

There are a number of new panels out now that are shaped like roofing tiles and others that are thin flex film and look so much nicer than the standard raised off the roof solar panels that we are all familiar with.
Your local ordinances should cover most if not all of the problems you just mentioned.
Local ordinances vary by municipality unfortunately and from what I've seen where Im at now unless your in Atlanta and surrounding suburbs or one of the other larger and historic locals you can do pretty much what you want wich is why Im disgruntled about my other next door neighbor who always has three cars parked next to and behind his house and its not for them being junk. Alot of people here park their cars behind their house to hide them from the repo man.

With the reference to my grandmothers issue the decline of the neighbors property was just enough above the line that the city couldnt do anything but it did cause alot of problems with his direct neighbors who both kept manicured lawns and homes in excellent condition. The owner of the house in question never did any home repairs unless he had to, let a nice swimming pool go into disrepair, never took care of a dozen fruit tree's and it took him 6 months to have a fallen tree removed and he never fixed the damage to his driveway and yard from the tree and its roots and all I will say about the inside is pack rat. Last I heard after I left the area was that 4 neighbors were taking him to court.

Agread

It really is that easy and there are HOA's that state that pick ups cant be parked in driveways aswell some that prohibit flags and flag poles.

Look at it like this and while I do agrea with you there is an arguement for a hoa.

Thats where your local law enforcement and city ordinances should have kicked in. Take a stand and make your city officials do what you ALREADY pay them to do.

You say your that it wasn't bad enough for local law enforcement or the city code man to come and cite the owner. Well, either your description has gone overboard, or your grandmothers town/village/city did not enforce properly, in which case it was just a matter of time until the value of the home went down anyway.

People, if you're moving, and have a choice, do your research and move to city that keeps up on its city ordinances and is pro-active in enforcing them. Thats what you pay taxes for. Don't let a HOA fool you in believing you have to pay a SEPARATE tax just to live in a certain place.

And to think how many idiots would quietly abide by the HOA's rules and take the pickup back to the dealer and get one on the "Approved" list because they think the association is going to kick them out of their homes.

And to think how many idiots would quietly abide by the HOA's rules and take the pickup back to the dealer and get one on the "Approved" list because they think the association is going to kick them out of their homes.

That would be crazy. What I thought was funny is they are complaining about a NEW TRUCK. What would be really funny if some millionaire living in a HOA decided to drive around a 1975 Chevrolet Truck. It happens more than you think, and if I lived in an area with an HOA with this kind of stupid rule its exactly what I would do. I would keep the light brown, black, and red colored pickup truck proudly displayed in my front driveway for all to see; right next to my 2009 Mercedes.

Here's the deal with HOA's-

People choose to be controled by them. It is as simple as that. If you live in a community and after taking up residence there an HOA is formed, there is no law that requires you to abide by their rule. Only the government can force you to suffer their zoning laws. These citizen busy body groups only have civil contract legal authority. Therefore youare only bound by their rules if you joined as a member. That was your decision to agree so if you did, then youre f**ked! They have one around here and I don't belong so I ignore there diatribes and control. I lived here before they started one up.

My first experience with one of these groups was in Orlando, FL when I was visiting my cousin who lived in one. After 6PM they have a rule that you cannot have a car parked out in your driveway and it must be in the Garage. I was visiting and about 8PM there was this knock on the door and my cousin was told by a group of three in their patrol that I had to remove my car or put it in the garage. I refused out of principle but then they threatened me with towing and I then threatened them with my concealed weapon if they tried to steal my car. But as I didn't want to cause any trouble with my cousin, I left a few minutes later. Fact is we were getting ready to go anyway but it pissed me off, the arrogance they had to threaten me like that. They also made my cousin take down his ham radio antenna and that was the last straw and he moved. This same community also would fine you if you mowed your yard on any non designated day. His day was Thursdays so that was the only time he was allowed to mow his grass.

Yes, but an HOA get action where the cities and towns can't or wont.

To others:

I can't back any CRAZY HOAs or the one-sided rules like the truck deals mentioned by the OP, but thevast majority of HOAs serve a very useful and sought after purpose and do it correctly and legally; if you don't want to live in one that's great; but I can sure can show you enormous piles of real-life proof of how your mind can be easily changed about a correctly run HOA vs areas that don't have one and rely specifically on their town or city ords; that even goes for those country folks. Sadly and truthfully IMHO most small towns I have ever been in don't even have the basic code enforcement on the books nor the desire to enforce if they do have anything on the books, and they are by far some of the most rat-trap looking places I have ever seen in my entire life. The lack of upkeep, cleanliness, civic and personal pride seems to have been served a death blow by "its mine and I'll do as I damn well please" crowd! And its creeping into metro towns as well. YUCK! Take a drive around and have an HONEST LOOK-SEE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts