This will change TV again... (Live streaming)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I’m pulling for Aereo. I want to get a debit card for an address in a nearby, very large city so I can get their streams. :spy
I can ~almost~ ~sometimes~ get them on my aerial but it’s very unreliable.

I remember a time when local channel carriage wasn't a requirement of the cable co's in their area. The networks complained, and shortly, the FCC required local channel carriage.
Then the locals complained that they wanted $$ for the cable co's 'service' of carriage. They got it. And regularly get increases. (ad sales alone isn't enough, apparently)
With the foregoing in mind, I see it being shot down.
But I hope not. I really hope not.

Very BIG deal. The decision could have impact on most cloud-based services.

Broadcasters certainly are feeling threatened by any technology that could disrupt their business model and current entitlement of double dipping to provide the "free" "broadcast" programming to the viewer.

I get so pissed-off when the broadcaster's own web services require verifying my "service provider" in order to watch a streamed program. My service provider is OTA. Where do I enter that? LOL!

Very BIG deal. The decision could have impact on most cloud-based services.

Broadcasters certainly are feeling threatened by any technology that could disrupt their business model and current entitlement of double dipping to provide the "free" "broadcast" programming to the viewer.

I get so pissed-off when the broadcaster's own web services require verifying my "service provider" in order to watch a streamed program. My service provider is OTA. Where do I enter that? LOL!

ZING!!!!!!!!!!

The nets lose NOTHING by Aereo operations. In fact, it is a slight gain in subs for them.

But I think the nets want to provide streaming for a fee down the road, with no commercial skipping. And to marginalize OTA.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Dee_Ann
The nets lose NOTHING by Aereo operations. In fact, it is a slight gain in subs for them.

But I think the nets want to provide streaming for a fee down the road, with no commercial skipping. And to marginalize OTA.

well cable companies pay per subscriber..this will make it much easier to dump cable

The nets worry about ratings, which translate into money. Streaming revenue isn't up there, yet, and those live numbers from TV/Cable are a huge thing.

The nets are also quickly becoming irrelevant in the era of 300 channels, Netflix/Youtube, and endless other choices. They know they have some pull still (sports, first-run TV shows, news, etc), but it's becoming a tight squeeze for them. If they still control the gate, they still have some say.

They might delay, but cannot stop, change.

If the nets could monetize Aero, the Supreme Court would not have been hearing this case. The nets and their franchise holders have everything to lose!

Let's think outside the current retransmission box. Imagine one year from now, after the Supreme Court rules in Aero's favor. Satellite/Cable companies decide that they aren't going to pay carriage fees for "reBROADCASTING" any more. Each subscriber who wants local channels is sold a dime sized antenna that the company would install and maintain for you. When you want to watch one of these local net channels, the provider's network would route your request to your dime sized antenna or your recorded dvr file and it would be streamed to your device via broadband or cellular. No longer is the provider "Broadcasting" one signal to all subscribers.

Dish/Direct Cable Co. no longer pay carriage fees for "rebroadcasting" nets to these subscribers... Nets and franchise holders no longer receive their retransmission fees.

It’s for for the filthy money grabbing greed machines to bend to the will of the people.

scrooge-mcduck-diving.jpg

They can’t have it all.

Reactions: Vondertrenk
This would be fine if decent internet bandwidth is available at an affordable price, otherwise instead of cutting the cord you are just replacing it with another...

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...

If Aero wins I will be ecstatic! Finally will have an inexpensive option to receive my local channels that I am not able to receive over the air due to the area terrain. Currently, the only option for folks in my area to receive local channels is to subscribe to a bundled package from Satellite/Cable. Massive antennas and tall towers do not overcome the beautiful hills and valleys of Meadow Vista, California!

Choices are good! :D

It would make more sense to unencrypt encrypted broadcast channels on the satellites, that way dvr functions on fta receivers could be put to use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)