This will make some of you cry

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the agreements and promises are in writing...and spelled out specifically ...what was to be saved, salvaged and moved....you should have a case for compensation.

If it is all verbal agreements...then I doubt... much if anything can be done...

I was cringing too much to finish reading all the bad luck, above.
Here's my input:
Many of us have nice dishes we found and obtained for under $100.
Refurbishing dishes and installing them can be done for... let's say $100.
I'm sure some will argue more or less, but there's a starting point.
You've been here long enough and seen so much, I'm sure you can do every bit as well, if you want C-band.

There are lots of 20-30 year old dishes still working today, from their original install.
So, bringing home a dish, and only cleaning off 80% of the rust, or painting it 80% of perfect, would still give you a nicer dish than many which've had no TLC.!. - :rolleyes:
In other words, you really cannot fail!

Pretty much any 8 or 10 foot perf, mesh, or even a solid (if you are so lucky), will be so much better than no BUD.
I'd outfit it with something like the GeoSatPro C2 or maybe the DMX242.
Control it with the V3000 box. (from your Coolsat 6000)
There's a short shopping list for ya. :)

I'm not encouraging your enforced exile nor any more such discussion.
If you're here, we'll help ya. - :up
If you aren't, we can't.

So, look through this thread,
Adventures In Dish Hunting 2010
or the 2009 version, and enjoy the pictures.
No need to read unless you find something interesting.
You'll see all sorts of dishes, and if you do read, many are highly desirable and easily moved.
Then drive around town, out in the suburbs, and out in the country.
Carry a notebook and log what you see.
Snap some pictures of interesting ones.
We have folks here who'll tell you the brand and something good/bad about it.

To go along with your weight, handling and transport limitations, ya might like an 8-10' mesh that comes apart into four wedges.
They are very light!
Another choice might be a commercial solid such as a ChannelMaster/Andrew 8' molded.
They also break down into four wedges.
ACradio has a whole fleet of 'em in 8 & 10 sizes, so see his pictures (or link in his signature).

Oh, by the way.

During the past month I bought a fancy-schmancy cable crimper and a cable stripper.
I found videos on youtube showing how to strip cable and crimp connectors on it.

I bought a big roll of new cable and a big bag of connectors for both the satellite and the video stuff inside called bnc's. I now know how to make brand new cables of any length I need.

I had planned on making all new cables for my little dishes and for the big Cband dish.
I guess I won't need to worry about the Cband for awhile now. But I think I will make new cables for the little dishes and the TV antenna.

I made some bnc cables already for inside stuff and I have gotten a little better picture on screens. It also is supposed to make another cable, rca types but I haven't tried to make any of those yet though I need too, I got to looking at the very cheap looking cables here in the house and they are really sad, cheap cr*p..
I think I can do better.

I talked to my neighbor about what I needed to get, he gave me ideas then I shopped for the stuff then went over and showed what I had picked on my iphone. He said that it would work so I bought it. He did say flat out that he would not show me how to make cables, that I would have to learn on my own. He's kinda tough on me about stuff. He points me towards things but stays out of it. Thank goodness for youtube.

Right now I'm pretty discouraged because I was soooooooooo close to getting my Cband set up. My dad is telling me to forget about the dish, he's mad at me that I'm making a scene over it. If it was his he would be sending out Ninjas to hunt the bad guys down. But I shouldn't be mad, I should just forget about it, let it go he says. :(

I'm thinking that realistically, I'll end up jerry rigging that old 10' dish I have here at the house with half the parts missing.

I don't know. I have to rethink everything now. I just don't know what to do.
I think I'll just go sit in the dark for awhile and let it go.. :river I'm that frustrated.

Attachments

• img6011.jpg
    img6011.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 142
So much to do about an old C band dish.....and this from the girl that said I'll NEVER have one of those big old ugly things in my yard:yikes.......lol
Just yankin' yer chain a bit Dee..........I told you a year ago you were a C bander candidate.:rolleyes:
Well, here's what I've got to contribute to the topic.
Anytime anything is destroyed or senselessly lost it is unfortunate. You did initially drag your feet, but after coming to a (verbal) agreement to the disposition of what was left there, you are right in pursuing compensation. A verbal/handshake agreement is enforceable in civil (small claims) court in Texas. (forget about the Judge Wopner/Judy/Joe crap. That's all pseudo docu-drama for ratings) The JP will decide who is telling the truth and rule accordingly. From what you've said I believe the judge will agree they accepted responsibility for your property and should be liable for compensation. I hope you win, but dont expect compensation for a new dish. They will argue is was X years old, etc. Go prepared. Present documentation. witness testimony, pics, what ever you have. Also as the saying goes, "You cant eat a judgment" so just because you get a ruling in your favor doesnt mean they will pay it. I guess you could always file a lien on the property you just sold them. Wouldnt that be poetic justice......lol

I understand your position and frustration. I get bent if anyone transgresses me or what is mine as well.

There is a HOWEVER, and I know you knew that was coming. I see your dad's point too. It is just a damned old dish. Not worth exceeding the blood pressure limits and having a stroke or popping an aneurysm.
Make piece with your pop. You can find another dish, but you've only got one dad, and you dont want the last exchange you may have with him to be bad, especially over a "damned old dish". Life's too short for all that BS.

Learn to be a spotter. Since your old dish survived Rita, I'll bet others have too. There are still a number of idle C abnd dishes out there. If my seven yo grandaughter can spot and id a C band dish, (several times before I spot them!) I know you can too. She has trouble telling between a Primestar and the new HD pizza pans but when in motion, I do too!
I'm not sure exactly where you are, but you are a bit to far for me to take as a casual drive, but I know I could find you one or more within 10-20 mi of your residence. I did talk to a lady last summer that had one she wanted taken down over that way. I think she was around the Kountz area. I can go by her daughter's house and see if I can get some contact info.
Dont worry about getting in a hurry to get a C band dish up. As you have discovered, this hobby is always a work in progress!

I dont know what comments were made in whatever the RTN thread was (havent read it) , but I dont think you will be ostracized or shunned for expressing an opinion. Different people get different things from this hobby, which means different points of view and opinions. Agree to disagree and move on to something you agree on. No biggie. Remember I told you my mom, all my aunts, and female cousins, and two of my daughters were red heads? I am quite accustomed to loud and opinionated crimson tempered women........lol
When the time comes dont concern yourself with passed scrapes. They are just that, passed. Learn from it and go forward. I'm sure there will always be folks here willing to help anyone who asks to improve their TVRO setup.
Now call you pop tomorrow and tell him you want to meet him at the DQ so he can buy you an ice cream cone and ya'll can talk about things.
Who knows, he might even take ya on a daddy/daughter dish hunt when you finish your cone...........:eureka:

Last edited:
So much to do about an old C band dish.....and this from the girl that said I'll NEVER have one of those big old ugly things in my yard:yikes.......lol
Just yankin' yer chain a bit Dee..........I told you a year ago you were a C bander candidate.:rolleyes:
Well, here's what I've got to contribute to the topic.
Anytime anything is destroyed or senselessly lost it is unfortunate. You did initially drag your feet, but after coming to a (verbal) agreement to the disposition of what was left there, you are right in pursuing compensation. A verbal/handshake agreement is enforceable in civil (small claims) court in Texas. (forget about the Judge Wopner/Judy/Joe crap. That's all pseudo docu-drama for ratings) The JP will decide who is telling the truth and rule accordingly. From what you've said I believe the judge will agree they accepted responsibility for your property and should be liable for compensation. I hope you win, but dont expect compensation for a new dish. They will argue is was X years old, etc. Go prepared. Present documentation. witness testimony, pics, what ever you have. Also as the saying goes, "You cant eat a judgment" so just because you get a ruling in your favor doesnt mean they will pay it. I guess you could always file a lien on the property you just sold them. Wouldnt that be poetic justice......lol

I understand your position and frustration. I get bent if anyone transgresses me or what is mine as well.

There is a HOWEVER, and I know you knew that was coming. I see your dad's point too. It is just a damned old dish. Not worth exceeding the blood pressure limits and having a stroke or popping an aneurysm.
Make piece with your pop. You can find another dish, but you've only got one dad, and you dont want the last exchange you may have with him to be bad, especially over a "damned old dish". Life's too short for all that BS.

Learn to be a spotter. Since your old dish survived Rita, I'll bet others have too. There are still a number of idle C abnd dishes out there. If my seven yo grandaughter can spot and id a C band dish, (several times before I spot them!) I know you can too. She has trouble telling between a Primestar and the new HD pizza pans but when in motion, I do too!
I'm not sure exactly where you are, but you are a bit to far for me to take as a casual drive, but I know I could find you one or more within 10-20 mi of your residence. I did talk to a lady last summer that had one she wanted taken down over that way. I think she was around the Kountz area. I can go by her daughter's house and see if I can get some contact info.
Dont worry about getting in a hurry to get a C band dish up. As you have discovered, this hobby is always a work in progress!

I dont know what comments were made in whatever the RTN thread was (havent read it) , but I dont think you will be ostracized or shunned for expressing an opinion. Different people get different things from this hobby, which means different points of view and opinions. Agree to disagree and move on to something you agree on. No biggie. Remember I told you my mom, all my aunts, and female cousins, and two of my daughters were red heads? I am quite accustomed to loud and opinionated crimson tempered women........lol
When the time comes dont concern yourself with passed scrapes. They are just that, passed. Learn from it and go forward. I'm sure there will always be folks here willing to help anyone who asks to improve their TVRO setup.
Now call you pop tomorrow and tell him you want to meet him at the DQ so he can buy you an ice cream cone and ya'll can talk about things.
Who knows, he might even take ya on a daddy/daughter dish hunt when you finish your cone...........:eureka:

Wow! A year?? I didn't know it's been that long. But then again I have a poor sense of the passage of time.

Originally I was opposed to the idea of having one of the beasts in my yard, we had one a long time ago and it was not only an eyesore but it was always breaking down and finally just broke all the way down and sat for years in disuse.

As to the one stolen. I'm still extremely angry about it :mad: :mad: :mad: and will likely remain angry for the rest of my life.

But, I have talked to some people and they all tell me to forget it. My dad told me flat out he will NOT assist me in any way if I seek compensation. I've been told that if I take this to small claims court I would likely lose or gain almost nothing for the fact of the thing being so old. And if I lose the case, I am stuck paying court costs and filing fees. I'm also told that the effort I would have to put into taking it to court is just more of a pain than I want to deal with.

So after thinking on it a few days I'm thinking that it's unlikely I'll bother any more on it but I will call the people that lost it and give them a piece of my mind. :rant:

As to my dad, I don't know. I'm not talking to him, a lot of harsh words were thrown back and forth over the course of the property sale. I ended up getting far less than I had expected because Dad fast tracked the sale and some how what I got came up short. I'm doing nothing. The next move is his. I'll wait and see how long before he calls. If he does, fine. If not, so be it.

And driving around looking for another one, well, I don't know. I don't have any way to move one if I find one and I'm not comfortable knocking on people's doors asking for them to give me something for free. I'm actually shy when it comes to things like that. Meeting strangers terrifies me for some reason. Go figure..

The RTN thing. Oh boy...

When they dropped the west channel, replaced it with Tuff TV and messed up the picture quality, I went off. I complained loudly about all three items and that made a LOT of people mad. Then I went on facebook and really pushed buttons on the RTV page. I'm surprised I didn't get death threats after that.

When that happened, my best friend and room mate had just passed away a few weeks before. I was the one that found her. I had to help with funeral arrangements, burial and moral support for her daughters. It was the most horrible thing that I've ever been through. It hurts far more than when I lost family members. I was and still am, crushed. It's been two months since she died and I still cry 20+ times a day. :river

So when the RTN thing came along, I was already seriously upset about life in general and feeling cheated that my very best friend was taken away from me so young and so suddenly. And then here comes RTN taking away something else. Being an emotional basket case has really made me touchy and, well, emotional. Much more so than normal. :(
I was not in my right mind and I lashed out with harsh criticism of the events.
And it came right back on me.

Irregardless, I learned that it's just best to keep my mouth shut and stick to simple yes/no questions. My opinions are not appreciated or welcome. Not here anyway. I'm in man territory and I stand alone. Men are from Mars and all that stuff..
Best not to rock the boat lest I get kicked overboard.

Oh, and the red hair? Well, I have to say that in my later years I have very seriously mellowed out a LOT. In my younger years I was a fiery one. I'm still hard headed, opinionated and emotional but I am really cooled off a lot compared to how I used to be. Oh, and it's long, curly and of course, red. I wonder if curly affects things to any degree? :rolleyes:

Q. How do you get a redhead to argue with you?
A. Say something

Q. How do you get a redhead's mood to change?
A. Wait 10 seconds

Q. What do you call a Redhead with an attitude?
A. Normal
Lots more red head jokes here, Red Head Jokes

Funny, those don't look like jokes to me, more like my life story. :D
One thing I can honestly say, I do make jokes about myself often and don't mind jokes by others as long as they are good natured. :)

Wow, 5:16am. Got to get some rest. bye bye for now...:sleeo

Last edited:
OMG!

As to the one stolen. I'm still extremely angry about it :mad: :mad: :mad: and will likely remain angry for the rest of my life.

But, I have talked to some people and they all tell me to forget it. My dad told me flat out he will NOT assist me in any way if I seek compensation. I've been told that if I take this to small claims court I would likely lose or gain almost nothing for the fact of the thing being so old. And if I lose the case, I am stuck paying court costs and filing fees. I'm also told that the effort I would have to put into taking it to court is just more of a pain than I want to deal with.

So after thinking on it a few days I'm thinking that it's unlikely I'll bother any more on it but I will call the people that lost it and give them a piece of my mind. :rant:

As to my dad, I don't know. I'm not talking to him, a lot of harsh words were thrown back and forth over the course of the property sale. I ended up getting far less than I had expected because Dad fast tracked the sale and some how what I got came up short. I'm doing nothing. The next move is his. I'll wait and see how long before he calls. If he does, fine. If not, so be it.

never ends

Attachments

• awshucks.jpg
    awshucks.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 114
I DO want Cband now. I want Mr. Ed and Patty Duke and The Outer Limits. I want "This TV"..

I guess now I have to find a way to make that one remaining 10 foot dish that is missing important parts, work.

I bought and put up a new HD antenna to try to get This TV from Lake Charles but it doesn't get it. :( It did get me a few new channels I couldn't get before on my ghettotenna. MYTX is one but it is a little light on content that I care to watch. :(

I ALMOST got killed putting that antenna up by myself, a steel pole free fell 12 feet like a spear and clipped a button off my shirt as it fell, it missed impaling me in the top of my head by an inch. I'm amazed that I wasn't killed.
Lesson learned? Do not do stuff by yourself anymore.

I've read that I should have some sort of amplifier on the pole for the OTA TV.
I still need to learn more about those and then shop for one.

I also want to get BETTER quality RTN. I've read that RTN is all over Cband in high resolution.

I've read something about S2 and RTN. I do not understand what S2 is but I found an S2 satellite tuner card via google shopping and replaced the one in my home theater with a new S2 tuner. Doing so gained me a few new PBS channels I couldn't get before.

I've learned how to make my own cables and bought the tools to do so.

In the past two months since my room mate passed away I've immersed myself in learning, to help distract me from my sorrow. I've stayed busy reading and trying things. I bought a few things. I've been preparing to put up the now missing Cband dish. I wouldn't have been able to do the physical part but I feel I've learned enough to do most of the rest.

If I attempt to take the remains of the 10 foot dish I have left here and do something with it, it's going to be trial and error, I have no idea how to put it together or make the missing parts. I am absolutely horrible with math so making calculations as to the placement of the lnb is out of the question. I'll just have to guess at it. I know there's some thing called focal point, I read that. But figuring it out is not something I could do via math and measurements.

I predict that I will have a great deal of difficulty with this partial dish. That's why I am so upset about losing that fully assembled, perfect condition dish. All I had to do was have it put up on a pole then aim the silly thing. I was just going to leave it aimed at This TV for awhile until I could get a new motor thing for it, I forget what they are called.

I don't even know how to go about this but I'm going to figure it out and make it work. I've got some of the key tools now to do this on my own, I just need more knowledge and more experience. And I'll have to bribe a neighbor for help with the physical stuff. I abhor alcohol but I've found that most men will work for cold beer. Whatever... :rolleyes: As long as they drink it AFTER the work is completed in their own homes and not during in my yard.

If nothing else, my hardheadedness will help me prevail in this quest. The discouraging part of it is that it takes so long to get it done. IF I get the old 10' Cband dish up before 2010 is over it will be a miracle. :eek:

Knowing my luck, just about the time I get the dish fixed and put up they will pull the channels that I am putting it up for. :(

Happens every time.

I still miss White Springs. :(

If you want to do the leg work and find out who owns the old Mauriceville cable tv site on the highway between Mauriceville and Vidor, there are plenty of dishes of all sizes not being used.I have been looking for the same info on the site but you might know.I would help you if its available to pick up a complete dish. I just need the dual feedhorn assembly that they have.

better OTA:

I bought and put up a new HD antenna to try to get This TV from Lake Charles but it doesn't get it.
frown.gif

It did get me a few new channels I couldn't get before on my ghettotenna.
Just to concentrate on one tiny part of your last post, let me say this....

I have a little lashup running a 22" LCD monitor for a poor-man's bedroom TV.
It includes one of three DTV converter boxes I have around.
The antenna is indoors and amplified, but I still have a modest signal.
So, what's the point?
Well the point is, of my three converter boxes, the Dish Network brand TR-40 outperorms the Channel Master CM 7000, and a Digital Stream DTX 9900 all to hell! - :eek:
So, consider what you are using as a tuner, as well as antenna and amp.
Improving any link in the chain might net you the station you seek.
(also, look it up on TVfool.com for recommended antenna/coverage, etc)

My living room 42" LCD is on a proper outdoor antenna, and works fine.

renovating the 10' BUD:

I'd start a new thread, and get clear of this one.
Name it something like: 10' BUD refurb ... ;)
Post some pictures of the dish, and we'll tackle what you are missing.

First we need to identify the dish, so we can figure out the focal length.
Get some pictures and measurements, and I'm sure someone will hook you up.

For example, here's help for a similar 10' dish:
- Unimesh Ten Foot Support Arm measurements
If you have a Unimesh, that's one notch in your belt.

All these big unmanageable problems break down into a series of little easily-solvable problems.
We can list the break down in your new thread, if you accept the mission.!. - :up

Sounds like a good idea. I'll likely do that tomorrow once I get my pc fixed. It's hard to do forums on my iPhone. It's like talking to the world through a pinhole.

Status
Please reply by conversation.