Those were the days...

Things have come a long ways. First Color Tv I saw was either my grandparents or the one my dad got when we moved to Tulsa. It was about the same time, probably my grandparents got theirs first and my dad got ours when our house was finished.

My grandparents got a 25in. Curtis Mathis console. It only had 12 channels and you had to manually adjust a dial on the back of the slide out tuning module to set each channel to a specific UHF or VHF channel. Used that tv in the ranch living room until my grandmothers death in the late 80’s.

When we moved to Tulsa in late 1974. I was 5 and my dad got a 19in RCA tabletop color tv for our new house that had just been built. A long ways indeed, from the 75in flat panels we have on the walls now.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ah, Curtis Mathis! “America’s most reliable TV.” And “America’s most expensive TV- and worth it.”

Until Consumer’s Report (& others?) revealed they were more like the least reliable. That company crashed QUICK after that.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

We had a RCA black and white TV. Dad installed a plastic sheet on the TV screen. The plastic sheet had 3 colors. The top third was blue, the middle was yellow, and the bottom third was green. Dad announced that we now had a color TV. It was funny because for some outdoor scenes, the sky was now blue, the actors were yellow (skin tone), and the ground was green (grass). Of course this was in the 1950's. We eventually got an actual color TV.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don't go back quite as far as some of you. My family was already well into color TV when I came along, but I laugh thinking back at how long we had the first TV I remember. I also laugh at the fact that my computer monitor at home has a larger screen than that old TV had as our main TV in those days.

Some of us have been a member of this great group for many years.
When I first started here is when HD was just starting to come around. Couldn't wait for the next Dish uplink report anticipating new channels that had been added and especially which channels were lighting up in HD! I hurried home to check out my new HD channels.
I also remember the time when our local channels were added and when they converted to HD.
Those were the days...
Here ya go..........Today NEWSY was turned on on channel 283 in glorious sd. :biggrin

And Great American Country was uplinked in HD, but not available yet!! First HD national cable channel uplinked in a while

Here ya go..........Today NEWSY was turned on on channel 283 in glorious sd. :biggrin
And Great American Country was uplinked in HD, but not available yet!! First HD national cable channel uplinked in a while
It is nice to see the bandwidth freed up by dropping the Univision channels is being put to good use. :)
I am guessing there was a contract renewal for the Scripps channels recently. :thumbup

My dad managed the appliance department of a local store. We did field testing.:) When he came home with this I almost passed out.
c7173084928483ca42893e7c6008deaa--princesses.jpg

Crosley. Wood enclosure, not metal. Probably why I’m still here today.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

We didn't have a TV until the early '60s. My father bought a maybe 19" "Metal Cabinet" portable B/W TV from a guy that was remodeling a motel. It was well used, but still worked. He put up an antenna outside (after the next paycheck or so) and we picked up 1 channel, until the weather got bad and we could pick up stations from over 100 miles away. Didn't last long and back to one channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)