KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Ok here is the back story. I really like and use the October 11th 2011 firmware for the S10. I installed it the day that it appeared on wydvb.com.
The only prob I have with it is it locks up on Qubo on 103 and Smile of a child on 97. I have tried the 7-17-11 firmware a few times that people swear by. What I run into with this version is instead of a lock up where the picture freezes, is that it goes to a no signal. If I go to menu and then transponder list then see the signal and then exit all the way back out it works again for awhile. On the 10-11-11 version when it freezes all I have to do is hit the menu button and exit real quick and it fixes it for awhile. This is easier than having to go all the way to the transponder list and back out or just turning box off and back on. Plus I hate the video and audio stutter on the 7-17-11 version. However today I decided to try the 7-17 version again. So what I did was load it via the usb memory stick I use for that box. All was fine. I went and loaded my channel list and when I did a reboot it was dead. I mean nothing on the display of box or the TV:eek: It has been awhile since I tried the 7-17 so i don't know what happened with that. after having trouble all day trying to download the serial port software, I finally got a hold of Scott and he emailed it to me, and just in a few minutes the box came back to life doing that. WHEW!! Thanks again to Scott for making my night.

Ok part 2
Now I knew I could fix it I tried something....yeah I know I am crazy, but I just had to know....I did exactly what I did this morning again and bam it killed it. Drug it back to the computer and fixed it again....then this time I loaded again the 7-17 firmware but instead of my current channel list I loaded an old one and it worked just fine. So don't know what is up with that, but thought somebody on here might find it interesting. Anyway back with the 10-11-11 firmware for now.;)

Oh and BTW yes it is a legit openbox not a clone.:)

I read a thread somewhere/sometime that different versions of firmware may not "like" your Sat/Channel list.
I have also had the problem of the "loader" program just not working. Try again and again and then it works??????

RT.

I've been using the S9S10_americasver.abs from wydvb.com. It is the 16 Nov 2010 version and I have been using it for quite some time. I have had no problems with audio or video and it records fine. I haven't done any time recording but it works good if you just hit record and walk away. I use it on a s9 and a s10.

how do you convert the rar files to abs files for the openbox? you need a laptop for installing the serial port software? hopefully those instructions are plain. haven't used the serial port on anything since serial printers went away. charlie

how do you convert the rar files to abs files for the openbox? you need a laptop for installing the serial port software? hopefully those instructions are plain. haven't used the serial port on anything since serial printers went away. charlie

You need a file compression/decompression program like 7zip to decompress .rar files.

A real hardware serial port is more reliable than a USB serial port adapter for uploading firmware to receivers.

I keep an old Pentium 3 laptop around mainly for its hardware serial port.

A "rar" file is a compressed file, like a "zip" file. I use WinRar to handle these files ( zip files, too), and love it, but there are other utilities, too. Even though my desktop has a new, high end motherboard, there is still a serial port header on the motherboard. All I needed to add was a $2.00 cable to it. I wouldn't be caught dead without an rs-232 port . :)

I almost wasted my s10 the first day I got it.
It had euro firmware on it and when I tried to upgrade the tp_prog.dbs to american it died on me.
The so called kits to recover I found on the net were often missing .ini files or the .ini files were for other types of ali receivers and the settings didn't match the s10.I finally used an old s9 loader and euro firmware to get the receiver going.I ordered some blank flash chips for future use just in case,since the s10 has no jtag port. BTW the ebay seller said the warranty is void if I put 3rd party firmware in it,which naturally you have to do because it has euro firmware installed when you receive it.

one of the rs232 loaders had different .ini files,depending on the ali processor and amount of ram,you had to edit to match your receiver.Other loaders were just an .exe file with no choice of .ini.One that works for sure is called s9s10 reanimator.

neither my desktop or laptop have serial ports. there is a way to use the usb as a serial port? i have a soldering iron and serial connectors in the bin. charlie

Same here I keep two older computers because I want to keep serial ports if needed for FTA use mainly these days, I used to use them a lot for Packet Radio but that kinda died around here.

Also same here Brent with this computer it is rs-232 capable if needed. Also I suppose another way would be PCI card.

Great link ke4est. That person is not a dummy by any chance. Interesting device. Happy I found a good Dell in a dumpster two years ago that has the RS on it. A little clean up(dust)and it was a good desk top unit. Why people pitch out good stuff is a wonder.

Happy I found a good Dell in a dumpster two years ago that has the RS on it. A little clean up(dust)and it was a good desk top unit. Why people pitch out good stuff is a wonder.
Thank goodness for people like that.
My pc came from the city dump;the dvd drive door wouldn't open-the only thing wrong with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)