Thought my problem was with the Joey 3, but

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
now I’m wondering if it’s not with the H3 instead?

For several days while watching tv in the mbr on our Joey 3, it was occasionally freezing up! The pic would just freeze and pushing buttons on the remote did nothing. Thought it was the Joey 3 So last night i rebooted the Joey 3 and that didn’t help at all. The menu showed everything was connected and we were getting a strong signal. But, it continued to occasionally freeze. Finally I decided to do a menu reboot of the H3. That seems to have solved the problem. No more freezes.

the H3 is still running H333 and is over three years old. Does this kind of problem indicate something is getting ready to go kaput or do I file it in the “s*** happens” folder. As always, thanks.

now I’m wondering if it’s not with the H3 instead?

For several days while watching tv in the mbr on our Joey 3, it was occasionally freezing up! The pic would just freeze and pushing buttons on the remote did nothing. Thought it was the Joey 3 So last night i rebooted the Joey 3 and that didn’t help at all. The menu showed everything was connected and we were getting a strong signal. But, it continued to occasionally freeze. Finally I decided to do a menu reboot of the H3. That seems to have solved the problem. No more freezes.

the H3 is still running H333 and is over three years old. Does this kind of problem indicate something is getting ready to go kaput or do I file it in the “s*** happens” folder. As always, thanks.
Definitely sounds like the hopper. In my experiences unless the Joey isn't turning on or displaying a picture then the problem is almost never the Joey itself. All freezing or black screen issues stem from the moca signal from. The hopper. I'd plan on getting the hopper replaced. If you care about your recordings I'd get an external drive and start backing them up prior to a tech showing up.

There is one thing you can try. Every once in awhile certain wifi routers can cause moca issues. To test this press home button twice, then go to settings, then internet, then go up the the advanced tab then select where it says bridging and it will change fron on to off and give a configuring network pop-up. What this will do is stop sending internet tk the Joey so you won't be able to use apos but if it makes the freezing stop then you'll know that's the issue. If it persists then hopper needs replaced.

In my experiences unless the Joey isn't turning on or displaying a picture then the problem is almost never the Joey itself.
That is my experience too, usually. What I do if seeing a Joey issue is to reboot the Joey first. If that fixes it, then it was a Joey problem. (The Joey reboots faster, too.) If not, then I reboot the Hopper and that generally clears the issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is my experience too, usually. What I do if seeing a Joey issue is to reboot the Joey first. If that fixes it, then it was a Joey problem. (The Joey reboots faster, too.) If not, then I reboot the Hopper and that generally clears the issue.
This is exactly what I did and it worked flawlessly last night. Will see how long it holds up but I’m backing everything up to my external drive just in case.