thoughts on avoiding the 2 year contract

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
i don't own a house nor do i want one. i live on my boat year round. to be honest i don't even think that direct would even install on a boat your thought???
My brother who is an over the road owner/operator has this antenna for his truck. And yes he is a directv customer
https://jet.com/product/detail/fc04...=CKaylb7YqMwCFcskhgodECMNAA&gclsrc=aw.ds..yes KVH is pretty pricey equipment, but if you want a quality in motion antenna for satellite, you'll have to spend a few bucks

Reactions: grim_reaper
Really ?
Didn't know that.
it's called there flex pay program!!! but you'll be paying full retail for the hardware and a 199 install if you can't do it yourself and one months of service up front no discounts!!! rvr's and truckers use it mostly

If you buy the equipment outright and do the install yourself (or have someone do it) you can do a pay as you go. I did that with Dish the last time I had them. Bought a 211k (single tuner HD receiver with option to make it a DVR) and already had dishes to use (when I had FTA).

Used it for maybe 6 months then decided I didnt need it anymore (had it for a specific purpose)

And unlike Directv Dish will start an account with "used" equipment
but like directv the box has to be clean not stolen not leased or money owed on it

Yes you can buy and install your own dish network equipment for no contract. The last one I did for my parents I think we just had to pay $50 to activate the account. It was not a pay as you go account, just a normal one with no contract. You can get clean new receivers off eBay for cheap or dish depot for a bit more. Solid signal also.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Mine had no activation fee. I just paid for the month up front. When the end of the month came around I paid for the next month

But yeah new receivers can be had pretty inexpensive

Even hopper with sling are pretty cheap since the 3 came out...
i seen a hopper 3 for 229.99 and a 4k joey for 150.00 though you might be able to get the 4k joey cheaper. there's no way in hell that i would pay alot for a genie or a hopper reason being it's proprietary to a specific service!!! though i would pay more for the hopper 3 than the genie why dish equipment is mostly better built that directs crap and the hopper 3 does so much more than the genie!!!

Mine had no activation fee. I just paid for the month up front. When the end of the month came around I paid for the next month

But yeah new receivers can be had pretty inexpensive
yep dish told me there's no activation fee i can stop and start when i want!!! i heard that you can even pause your acct to and restarting it back up where you left off how true that is i don't know.. i also don't know what receiver you had but i heard that you'll get idiot warnings on your receiver to pay your bill before it's disconnected thoughts on that??

yep dish told me there's no activation fee i can stop and start when i want!!!
correct

i heard that you can even pause your acct to and restarting it back up where you left off how true that is i don't know..
you can...its $5 a month and it just "pauses" the account. But you can still watch stuff on the DVR

i also don't know what receiver you had but i heard that you'll get idiot warnings on your receiver to pay your bill before it's disconnected thoughts on that??
I never had a warning on my receiver about paying

This was a few years (5 or so) ago but the receiver I got was a 211k. It is a single tuner receiver that has a over the air tuner in it. I paid a one time $40 fee to make it a DVR (added my own hard drive) and could record 1 satellite and 1 OTA channel at the same time. Obviously if you watch/record a lot of TV you'll want something more robust (more tuners and a DVR built in) but at the time it was more for the locals. Where I was living we didnt have the full set of locals over the air so that was the reason I went as a pay as you go because I knew I woudl be moving to an area with better OTA reception

correct

you can...its $5 a month and it just "pauses" the account. But you can still watch stuff on the DVR

I never had a warning on my receiver about paying

This was a few years (5 or so) ago but the receiver I got was a 211k. It is a single tuner receiver that has a over the air tuner in it. I paid a one time $40 fee to make it a DVR (added my own hard drive) and could record 1 satellite and 1 OTA channel at the same time. Obviously if you watch/record a lot of TV you'll want something more robust (more tuners and a DVR built in) but at the time it was more for the locals. Where I was living we didnt have the full set of locals over the air so that was the reason I went as a pay as you go because I knew I woudl be moving to an area with better OTA reception
5.00 a month is not bad to pause the acct and be able to watch stuff on the DVR!! i was looking at the 211z receiver but now they have the wally box out wich is 4k capable from my understanding. and yes dish did tell me that there would be a one time charge of 40 dollars to ad a hard drive to use it as a dvr. i'm not sure if you can do that with the wally receiver though since its so new!! yea i record alot of stuff so i am really thinking of the hopper 3 since it's so cheap!! and it can record 16 things at once:coco and you can watch 4 shows at once on the t.v.:rolleyes and it's 4k ready great job on that dish. now it will also be interesting to see with what directv comes out with:imshocked. i'm in los angeles so locals for me is no problems i think i get 60 locals though most of em are in a foreign:eek::rolleyes one more reason to pay for t.v.!!! there was something going around on another forum with the older hoppers restarting everynight and people were thinking that it was to make sure that the acct was paid but i dunno

My brother who is an over the road owner/operator has this antenna for his truck. And yes he is a directv customer
https://jet.com/product/detail/fc04...=CKaylb7YqMwCFcskhgodECMNAA&gclsrc=aw.ds..yes KVH is pretty pricey equipment, but if you want a quality in motion antenna for satellite, you'll have to spend a few bucks
you know what KVH is pretty pricey but like you said if you want a good quality antenna then you got to spend a few bucks.. i talked to some rvr's and there saying the king controls is garbage!!! they said they have better luck with the winegaurd units with rain fade.. i also hear that the KVH units will detect the local channels in the area that your in i like that no more calling in and having to change your locals a big plus there!!! i also hear if they break down there not cheap to fix also but hey you get what you pay for!!! i wouldn't buy junk i found that out the hard way hears ago after buying so much junk i could have had the good one to begin with!! i'm really gonna research the KVH units i hear nothing but rave reveiws... i know on my boat there's KVH equipment for satellite phone and internet i don't use them though since i see no use for them. though i heard the satellite phone runs around twenty grand installed i almost had a stroke after i heard that :coco. i would hate to see the per minute rates and the rates they charge per megabyte i might have another stroke:biggrin:coco

you know what KVH is pretty pricey but like you said if you want a good quality antenna then you got to spend a few bucks.. i talked to some rvr's and there saying the king controls is garbage!!! they said they have better luck with the winegaurd units with rain fade.. i also hear that the KVH units will detect the local channels in the area that your in i like that no more calling in and having to change your locals a big plus there!!! i also hear if they break down there not cheap to fix also but hey you get what you pay for!!! i wouldn't buy junk i found that out the hard way hears ago after buying so much junk i could have had the good one to begin with!! i'm really gonna research the KVH units i hear nothing but rave reveiws... i know on my boat there's KVH equipment for satellite phone and internet i don't use them though since i see no use for them. though i heard the satellite phone runs around twenty grand installed i almost had a stroke after i heard that :coco. i would hate to see the per minute rates and the rates they charge per megabyte i might have another stroke:biggrin:coco
I never knew they had Sat Phone set ups, but it does sound pricey.
I also didn't know that they have OTA antenna built in, I see no way that it would change your D* Locals on your account, the OTA deal is a nice idea though although RV's already have them on them, I know a boat wouldn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)