Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well, as I posted in my pub thread, severe weather took out my sat system (among other things) friday evening.

Called D*, and they sent out a tech today to get me fixed up. The guy, who was very knowledgeable, fixed everything, and replaced one of my HD-DVRs. He only had one box on the truck, so D* is going to ship me a replacement for the other one.

Having been in the threads here for a while, I constantly heard E* fans, and some D* people complain about the speed issues with the HR series, the later models moreso than the 20s (and some even on them). Having had two 20s, which most D* subs will tell you are the faster of the line, I really had not had any speed issues. Sure, it was not as fast as the ViP series, but it was not bad either.

Having gotten a brand spanking new HR-23 to play with now, I have to say, WOW....these things are SLOW!!! It, as of now, is roughly half the speed of the 20 that it replaced. Lag on button presses, slow to move through the guide, ect. I have to say, I was very disappointed. I can live with it, but at least now I understand the complaints.
Now, I am hopeful that the software on the box, since it is new, is simply not up to date, and the speed will approach what I had with the 20 once it updates. I will check the software version when I get home this evening.

Any ideas? I have done the normal advice we give subs, turn off native, turn off scrolling, ect.

todd, i just got an hr23 last week to replace a defective hr20. it did load new software when he was activating the box. i can't say i have any complaints. i appreciate i don't need the b-bands anymore and the larger hard drive!

I am going to check this evening, and force the latest software if it did not already. I am hoping that is the problem. I will enjoy the larger HD, the bbands never gave me any problems. In fact, they saved one of my 20s when the last lightning strike happened. It blew them out, and left the box intact.

I have a 20-100, a 20-700, and two 21-700s and frankly I have never known that there was a difference between them except for cosmetic, they all just seem to work fine...no complaints...what is the deal with these newer models anyway...more space, dont need that so what else...while we are on the subject...

most do notice a difference between the HR20 and the models that followed it. i have an HR20-700 and a HR21-100. the HR20 is faster but they are all slow imo. hopefully the HR24 will put an end to some of these issues. they are more noticeable when you come from using a better dvr like the vip series. of course there are much worse out there than the HR series.

Thanks for the info....are faster and better synonymous? How fast does the damn thing need to change a channel or bring up a guide or......I don't know...the DVRs record what I want, they are reliable...I can't help but wonder what what all the praise for the VIP's or whatever the other company has is all about, I have to assume that they are fantastic

Add an AM21 and see how slow it gets ;)

I am getting little faster response from my new Harmony 650, so i wonder if some of the issue is not the remotes fault.

I have an HR20 and an HR21...the 21 is soooooo slow compared to the HR20. It's very annoying. I am running CE on both, the speed doesn't change.

Sorry to hear about your lighting strike. Where did it hit? Did it actually strike your house or dish, or did it come in through the power or phone lines?

Thanks for the info....are faster and better synonymous? How fast does the damn thing need to change a channel or bring up a guide or......I don't know...the DVRs record what I want, they are reliable...I can't help but wonder what what all the praise for the VIP's or whatever the other company has is all about, I have to assume that they are fantastic

No, faster and better are not always the same thing. However, faster and the same in every other way does make a difference. For my situation, I am getting the same thing at a far less speed. Based on that, and other peoples posts, I can see the complaints by some.

That said, I have never had an issue with the reliability of any HR I have had. They have been rock solid, and have many features, that other DVRs do not offer. I am pleased with them for the most part.

most do notice a difference between the HR20 and the models that followed it. i have an HR20-700 and a HR21-100. the HR20 is faster but they are all slow imo. hopefully the HR24 will put an end to some of these issues. they are more noticeable when you come from using a better dvr like the vip series. of course there are much worse out there than the HR series.

There is another thing that bothers me. These things are all over the place as far as speed. My 20s, both I had are far faster than the 23s. Still not as fast as the ViPs, but there is not a "huge" difference between what I had. There is between what I have.

I too hope the 24 will be much faster.

I have an HR20 and an HR21...the 21 is soooooo slow compared to the HR20. It's very annoying. I am running CE on both, the speed doesn't change.

Sorry to hear about your lighting strike. Where did it hit? Did it actually strike your house or dish, or did it come in through the power or phone lines?

I am thinking just close by and ran the ground. It knocked out several other items as well.

I am thinking just close by and ran the ground. It knocked out several other items as well.

Happened to me with a couple of original Tivos years back. Took out the receivers, stereo equipment a two TVs. Hope you get everything back together shortly. Its just past midnight here in Ohio, watching my Phillies and Giants...damn we love our dishes and our TVs!

I have 3 HR20-100's so if any of them go bad I hope I will get the new HR24. Is it out yet?

A little bribery will go a long way. ;):D

Actually I wonder if Phil T lives in a DECA test market. I would think that's the only way you would get an HR24.

Ill bribe em if it would help!!!!!!!:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)