Thoughts on coming from the HR-20 to the HR-23

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
That is possible for sure.
I do know that I can generally tell the difference between higher a lower quality BR players, even on the 42 incher. Just when it comes to the HRs, I can tell no difference. That leads me to believe that even IF there is a difference, it is so small that 99.9% of people will not notice it.
I may take the 23 up to my uncles and hook it up to that 120" (I think thats what it is) projection screen. He has a 20 I know, so I should be able to do a side by side quite easily.

that's a great idea. curious to know what you'll see.

I think the PQ issues between the 20/21/22 and 23 are all just owners remorse, after a few reported something that may or may not be there. I dont buy it.

I have a 110" projector, a 65", a 60", a 47" and a 32".

So I gots all y'all on size and volume!

The 23 does have better video output hardware. It was confirmed and demonstrated side by side in a review which was hastily withdrawn and replaced with "we never said that!" after directv complained about the review bringing this feature forward because they were afraid they'd get a steady rain of customers who wanted the wideband tuners (no bbc's) and better quality video output.

I'm thinking you might not notice this difference unless you were watching really, really good 1080i content with minimal compression, some of the 1080p programming that has little compression, and perhaps with some overcompressed 720p programming where it might improve the quality a smidge.

I do plan on doing the a/b this weekend with the use of my Uncles theater room. I am curious to see the results. Might even hook both the new 20 and the new 23 up to my living room tv to see if I can see the difference that way.

When I commented before, I went from a dead 20 after a few days to a new 23. If there is a difference, I would say it is minimal, since I couldnt tell. Of course like some have said, larger set size may make a difference, and a back to back comparison as well. Neither of which I really did.

You aren't going to see much of a picture difference on a 26 inch TV.

funny, when i switched to tivo for my cable, i could notice a significant difference in pq between that and my hr21 pro. and this is on a 24 inch 1080p lcd set.

You mixed up a couple of changes there. If your tivo was a series 1 or 2, then the tivo was compressing the cable signal and decompressing it at playback. The HR21pro just records the directv signal verbatim and plays it back.

You also probably went from more compressed signals on cable in the first place vs the directv channel compression.

If your tivo was a tivo HD, at least the cable compression rate was an issue vs the directv one.

This isnt going to be a 10-20% difference going from a 20/21/22 to a 23, its going to be a low to mid single digit improvement. Hard to see on a smaller set.

You also have a 1080p set. Its not common for a 24-26" set to be 1080p.

funny, when i switched to tivo for my cable, i could notice a significant difference in pq between that and my hr21 pro. and this is on a 24 inch 1080p lcd set.
that's because there is a significant difference there. what we're talking about is a difference but it's not a very huge difference so to notice it you must have a larger screen ;)

I keep having to reset my HR-20 every time I forget to turn it on last when I power everything up in HT system. I have an Emotiva UMC-1 prepro and I think it is a handshaking issue with the hdmi connection. If I turn on the prepro first then I do not have a problem but if I forget and turn on the tv and sat rec first then there is no way I can get a video signal to come up unless I reset the sat receiver which takes a bit of time for it to reset. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)