Thoughts on coming from the HR-20 to the HR-23

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
msmith, do you see any PQ differences? When I got an HR22 to replace a H20-60 (best dog gone OTA tuner ever put into anything with a D* logo on it) I noticed softer PQ than what my HR20-700 has. I initially put the HR22 on the living room TV (at the time a 60" Sony) where my HR20 currently is and moved the HR20 upstairs (42" Magnavox). But to me the PQ wasn't as good on the HR22 as the HR20. So I put the HR20 back downstairs and moved the HR22 upstairs. I was disappointed because I wanted the doubled recording space that the HR22 provides on my downstairs TV. Now with MRV that need is less so but back then I mattered because at times I was having space issues on my HR20.

Ill bribe em if it would help!!!!!!!:D

smilemoney.gif

I had actually heard a while ago that the 23 had better PQ than the previous boxes. Not that I have noticed though. I would say it is equal between the two.

The 20 uses a different broadcom chip set than the 21/22/23. The 20's chipset has a faster memory interface and should in general be snappier than the others.

The 23 has slightly better picture quality, which has been confirmed a few times but rapidly stomped out by directv, since if that got out they'd have 2 million customers asking for their old ones to be replaced by newer ones with better pq.

Of course, you need a really good tv to see the PQ improvements. I didnt notice the difference between my two blu-ray players until I bought a better tv. Then the PS3's PQ was obviously better than the blu-ray playback from my htpc.

I still dispute the PQ difference. I have two 1080p panny plasmas. Pioneer aside, not much better, and even then. I just do not see it. Some might I guess. Then again, some might just want to see it.

You bring up an interesting point though. A better tv might very well give better PQ in native mode. The TV is doing any scaling then. Perhaps that is what some saw.

When the BOX is set to a particular rez though, I see no difference.

msmith, you might not see a difference between a HR20 and HR23. I think the PQ dipped going from the HR20 to HR22 but went back up with the HR23. So it's reasonable to say that the HR20 and HR23 have similar PQ. I saw a dip from the HR20 to the HR22. I recently got a 3rd HD DVR and when I ordered it from D* I was hoping to get a HR23 that I could put in my living room. But alas it was another HR22 so I put it in the den with the new 40" Sony Bravia I just got.

That is possible. I will get my other replacement DVR this week. If I get a 21 or 22 I will report back on that.

I still dispute the PQ difference. I have two 1080p panny plasmas. Pioneer aside, not much better, and even then. I just do not see it. Some might I guess. Then again, some might just want to see it.
what size are those pannys????

One is a 46, the other is a 42.
That may be one reason why you don't notice much or any difference. on a 52" or larger is more noticeable. my hr20 and 21 do appear to be the same but the reviews on the 23 do say there's improvement on pic quality due to some hardware changes on the video output. sound quality improvement was also reported. personally couldn't tell you since i don't have a HR23. :)

That may be one reason why you don't notice much or any difference. on a 52" or larger is more noticeable. my hr20 and 21 do appear to be the same but the reviews on the 23 do say there's improvement on pic quality due to some hardware changes on the video output. sound quality improvement was also reported. personally couldn't tell you since i don't have a HR23. :)

I have a 62" TV. Mine is bigger. :D

That is possible for sure.
I do know that I can generally tell the difference between higher a lower quality BR players, even on the 42 incher. Just when it comes to the HRs, I can tell no difference. That leads me to believe that even IF there is a difference, it is so small that 99.9% of people will not notice it.
I may take the 23 up to my uncles and hook it up to that 120" (I think thats what it is) projection screen. He has a 20 I know, so I should be able to do a side by side quite easily.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)