Thoughts on new setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Looking for input on new install for the home.
I've got an 8' and 10' BUDs waiting to be assembled.
As far as LNBs, I'm eyeballing the GEOSAT C/Ku LNBF that sattelliteav has for $45.
Also will be getting a 4DTV receiver in the near future once I have everything else settled.
It appears the GBOX V3000 is the way to go as far as positioners.
What about FTA receivers? What is the general consensus on the best bang for the buck? Currently do not have HD upgrades in place, but that will be looming soon.
Also thinking about PC SAT card as well...
Whatever info will be appreciated.

Sounds great you have two c-band dishes. I have a 7.5' and a 10' sami mesh. I am using the BSC-621 (dms international). The 10 footer will really shine in performance. I have never used the G-box but I have two V-box 4's.

As far as FTA receivers go it all personal choice. The ones I like you may not. HD is becoming more plentiful so I would consider some source of HD reception.

For standard def digital I like the Fortec Ultra Lifetime with blindscan. This receiver is cheap and does a great job finding feeds and channels. Has great channel editing features.

For HD , I am using a pansat 9200 HD which also has blind search. I think at the time it is the only one that has blind scan in the HD line of receivers. It does not do 8psk (at least yet-Pansat claims it is capable but needs a tuner module they have not released yet).

Your PC card (if you purchase the right ones) will do all except you will have a hard time finding one that will blind search tp frequencies and symbol rates. For HD content you need a fast computer. Ask some of the guys in the "pc card forum" and they will lead you in the right direction. You can also use your computer as a PVR. Put in a big hard drive so you can record hours and hours of tv. Some video cards have HDMI/DVI and componet video outputs to connect to your HD tv. Be sure to ask them about video cards.

I am seriously thinking of getting a new computer and dvb card.

Good luck and have fun

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)