Thoughts on the Acquiring signal bug.

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
I have been both a 6000 user and a 811 user and I have had personal experience with this bug over the last couple of years. I have also read most of the different opinions as to what might be the cause and the different work arounds that people have suggested that work for them. I have also read the replies that some of the work arounds do work for everyone.

Most people feel that the problem appears when the 811 has sat on a OTA channel for an exteneded period of time. Though this maybe the case for a lot of folks, I have seen this issue appear when trying to change from a non OTA channel and have seen it appear without sitting on a channel for a long time. I also have seen it happen when switching between two Dish based SD channels. I watched the transponder numbers and there is no pattern there.

Here is my take given everything I have read and witnessed myself

1) The issue is not caused by sitting on an OTA for a period of time. This may be a symptom, but I have seen other scenarious result in the same symptoms.
2) The work arounds may or may not work for you.
3) Based on the different symptoms I have seen, this bug is more random in my opinion.

Thoughts? Can anyone reproduce this problem in 100% of the time with a given procedure. If you can post here and hopefully Dish will try and possible get to the root cause. Then again, Maybe the root cause is one that cannot be fixed in software. :(

For me, the problem would only happen when going to the guide from an OTA channel. I believe I'd have to have been tuned the OTA channel for more than a few minutes.

However, for the first time, just the other day, it happened when going to the guide from a sat channel.

GaryPen said:
For me, the problem would only happen when going to the guide from an OTA channel. I believe I'd have to have been tuned the OTA channel for more than a few minutes.

This is what happens on my 811. I duplicated it about three times in a row. (it was a slow day :no )

BTW, I just ordered an LG 4200 STB. I'll let everyone know how it stacks up vs the 811 when I get it.

Harry said:
This is what happens on my 811. I duplicated it about three times in a row. (it was a slow day :no )

BTW, I just ordered an LG 4200 STB. I'll let everyone know how it stacks up vs the 811 when I get it.

But can you reliable reproduce it at will with a nice set of steps.

As to the LG 4200 STB, I would be interested. I am looking for a small form factore OTA HD Tuner that is inexpensive. I have an upstairs HD 4x3 Sony that I would not mind having the option to view some HD material with. If you can please posts your thoughts on the 4200, but in a different thread. ;) I hoping this one deals with the acquiring signal issue.

GaryPen said:

However, for the first time, just the other day, it happened when going to the guide from a sat channel.

Yes that is how most people describe it, but for me I have seen it appear in other ways. Glad to see I am not the only one that has seen this.

Lg 4200a

WeeJavaDude said:
But can you reliable reproduce it at will with a nice set of steps.

Yes, I did. Set on OTA, acccessed the guide a couple times, changed to Sat and ..... blank screen.

WeeJavaDude said:
As to the LG 4200 STB, I would be interested. I am looking for a small form factore OTA HD Tuner that is inexpensive. I have an upstairs HD 4x3 Sony that I would not mind having the option to view some HD material with. If you can please posts your thoughts on the 4200, but in a different thread. ;) I hoping this one deals with the acquiring signal issue.

From what I have read, the 4200 seems to be the best out there right now. Has very good tuners. The only knock I've seen is it has only one input that you either hook an antenna or cable to it. I don't have cable so that is not a problem for me. Some argument as to wether it has the 4th or 5th generation chip in it. I'll post my finding when I get it and play with it for awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)