Thursday, October 1st Opening Night of NHL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the NHL should PAY ESPN to broadcast the games.the deal with versus is what your grandad calls "pennywise and pound foolish"

I am confused on what CI games are shown with my subscription. Or more importantly and easier which games I won't get with Directv and CI?

Any time a US provider has national rights, they have exclusive rights for broadcasts (CI cannot show Canadian/other games). This can be particular annoying when in January/February NBC has national rights on an afternoon and the CBC is showing a game - they cannot be shown on CI

This is probably why the free preview of CI starts on Oct 2 (not the 1st) - they don't have the rights to show anything Thursday Night

Last edited:
Any time a US provider has national rights, they have exclusive rights for broadcasts (CI cannot show Canadian/other games). This can be particular annoying when in January/February NBC has national rights on an afternoon and the CBC is showing a game - they cannot be shown on CI

This is probably why the free preview of CI starts on Oct 2 (not the 1st) - they don't have the rights to show anything Thursday Night

Exactly my point. Directv subs, with or without CI, will see ZERO HOCKEY OPENING NIGHT!

Exactly my point. Directv subs, with or without CI, will see ZERO HOCKEY OPENING NIGHT!

Correct, but there are 81 more games to go. Missing one wont decide the Champion. I am frustrated with this mess but also don't want a rate increase because of it. VS has horrible announcers and if not for Hockey VS has NO value.

ESPN should get this back then the world could see a lot more hockey.

It is perplexing that they have comparable ticket sales, but aren't the Nielsen numbers in favor of the NBA by a lot?
The NHL is a business -- the overwhelming majority of league revenue comes from ticket sales. Under their agreement with Versus, they get the money up front and it's up to Versus to find a way to make back their investment. So in a way the ratings don't matter as long as the actual game ticket sales keep up and they maintain front-loaded broadcast contracts.

the NHL should PAY ESPN to broadcast the games.the deal with versus is what your grandad calls "pennywise and pound foolish"
My grandad also had sayings like "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." Since the departure of hockey from ESPN, the landscape has changed considerably. The team broadcast schedules have steadily improved to where the overwhelming majority of your home team's 82 game schedule is available via local broadcast and regional sports net coverage. The NHL also launched their own network which has "NHL On the Fly" that shows highlights from games around the league.

This is, of course, apart from the extensive collection of game clips that can be found online at NHL.com and a variety of other locations.

It's doubtful that a return to ESPN could increase the ratings much more, or would even be practical with the broadcast commitments the network has already made.

Noticed the Leafs Habs game and Canucks Flames games are listed only under CBC and RDS, the other games are on Versus at 7 and 10...what does this mean for US DTV subs? Are you really going to tell me we won't get the feed? Will NHL Network carry the CBC feeds perhaps?

NHL Hockey Schedule for October 2009 - NHL.com - Schedule

It means the 10 thousand hockey fans in the US will have to think of ice as something to put in a drink.

NHL On Line Steaming?

Hi Everyone,

On Zap 2 it TV Listings NHL on the fly on NHLNET is listed all evening Thursday 1 October.
TV Listings Guide and TV Schedule, Where to Watch TV Shows - Zap2it

However, on Saturday 3 October there is a whole slew of games on Saturday 3 October.

It looks like the Regional Sports Networks will have some games. (The Avalanche will be broadcasting all but 3 of their games on Altitude. Those 3 games are going
to be on Versus… and opening night is one of the games on VS.

Looking up NHL On Line Steaming on Google, I ended up with an article that Comcast is going to allow people to stream up to two NHL games a day on-line (in the U.S.) for free. This said something about needing IE (I think it was 6) or later or a similar generation browser. It said Mac users were out of luck. I do not know about Linux Users.
www.downloadsquad.com/.../watch-live-streaming-nhl-games-online-us-only/

Does anyone know anything more about the NHL and Comcast On Line Steaming?

Thanks,
Roland

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! I needed to hear that. :up Thanks.

We need to sent an open letter to the NHL and tell them how stupid it was to drop ESPN as a partner. They chose a one network with horrible announcers and no other advertising on the station instead of a two network plus alternate stations and carried more than VS.

We need to sent an open letter to the NHL and tell them how stupid it was to drop ESPN as a partner. They chose a one network with horrible announcers and no other advertising on the station instead of a two network plus alternate stations and carried more than VS.

I'd agree to getting ESPN back when the Vs contract expires. But for now, that is what we have and I'll be happy just to get it back for this season and worry about ESPN later.

Looks like the NHL is firmly backing Versus in this dispute:

Open letter to DirecTV fans - NHL.com - The National Hockey League

Bettman never ceases to amaze me. Instead of sitting them BOTH down and telling them not to come out until its solved, he's just going to go with his 'broadcast partner' and alienate what little support they have anyway by pissing off NHL fans that happen to have Directv, who is the only provider, like it or not, that has the capacity to provide decent HD coverage for the CI package.

Between this and the schoolyard games that they are playing with the NY market teams HD........

Christ Almighty I am almost sorry I bought CI this season. :(

More Television contract woes with the NHL, CBC, NHLNetwork

According to this latest article on puckdaddy, NHL Network will be showing LESS full-on coverage of Saturday nite's HNIC broadcasts that we became so used to watching last season.

This season, they are removing some instances of Coach's Corner, Hot Stove and a bunch of the 10pm games. They are replacing them which appear to be scattered weeknite games that we didn't get last year. I don't know which I'd rather have but for the love of God, can't the fans just be left alone? We had such a good thing last year and what do you know, it gets screwed with!

Frankly between Directv, Comcast, the NHL, ESPN, I am so sick and tired of the way our Sport is marketed and the way it's fans are treated. Like any other Sport, it's a business first but these days I kinda wish I hated this league. It would be soooooooo easy!!!

That said, I know I can watch just about any game via myp2p, justintv, atdhe, hockeystreams, etc. But really, I didn't pay thousands for my home entertainment setup with Directv and local cable so I can stream games at 700k on my laptop..

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...dule/#comments

From an article in TVPredictions.com:

DIRECTV has been so embarrassed by the dispute that it now says it would be willing to carry Versus' National Hockey League games while negotiations continue. (Well, how nice of them.):up

From an article in TVPredictions.com:

DIRECTV has been so embarrassed by the dispute that it now says it would be willing to carry Versus' National Hockey League games while negotiations continue. (Well, how nice of them.):up

What does this mean? They are willing? They will show them? How is that possible without a contract??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts