THX say Calibration reduces HDTV power consumption by 50 percent

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
THX STUDY REVEALS VIDEO CALIBRATION IMPROVES ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF HDTVS
A research study conducted by THX Ltd. suggests that a secondary benefit to video calibration, beyond improving picture quality, is reducing an HDTV’s on-mode energy consumption. The THX study, which evaluated plasma and LCD HDTV performance, revealed video calibration improves energy efficiency by up to 50 percent, depending on the display’s technology platform, screen size and model year.
Source & More: aventhusiast.com.uk

Up to 50%? That's probably if the contrast and brightness was cranked up to begin with.

I bought a Kill A Watt meter which is handy to see what wattage you are using. After I had my Samsung Plasma calibrated, I saw about a 5% lower use in wattage.

My Samsung UN55B6000 has an "Energy Meter" when you press the "Info" button that compares the current energy usage compared to a "normal" LCD. It isn't a calibrated meter, so it's strictly marketing.

"Honey, I just saved us 50% on our electric bill! Aren't I smart?"
"That's nice, dear, but what's this $800 charge on our credit card for THX Calibration?"

Up to 50%? That's probably if the contrast and brightness was cranked up to begin with.

Sadly. This is how most people view their tv. In "torch" mode.

Most will get it out of the box and turn it on. Not even realizing the picture controls. They like that bright inaccurate picture. I am in the minority.;)

Right. The 50% is going from "torch" mode to what it really should be. Hopefully even if you aren't having your set calibrated you are not watching in that mode. I was personally amazed at the difference when my set was calibrated.

With just one setting of 'off mode after 4 hours' you can save 50% from having it on for 8 hours and forgetting about it. That's probably the best case scenario.

A lot of sets have two "Off" (stand-by, really) modes, too. A little bit of patience turning on the TV pays off with lower power consumption when not watching TV.

Of course, as you can see, I'm Folding@Home with my computers, so I'm hardly the poster child for Green Power. :)

hi guys
These numbers show an "up to 50%".
This is while the set is on.
This is comparing a calibrated display vs "out of the box and turned on" display.

Where can you learn how to do this yourself,I know the tools are expensive,but I would like to know how to do it,I have repaired alot of tvs in the past year but I dont know how to calibrate one.Is there a site that explains this.

Right. The 50% is going from "torch" mode to what it really should be. Hopefully even if you aren't having your set calibrated you are not watching in that mode. I was personally amazed at the difference when my set was calibrated.

The problem is that there are two messages that are getting mixed here.

The ISF message implies that you need to get an expensive calibration done to save the energy. The fact is that at least 80% of the savings could be accomplished by simply changing the picture mode to movie.

There is good reason to get a real calibration, but it is hard to use energy savings as one of them since the savings is mostly in customer education in setting up the set with the available settings.

Still, it is difficult to get people to go away from torch mode because the picture will look dark until you get used to it. Most folks aren't willing to wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)