Time again - Weekend Satellite Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg said:
Tron...you want the 25F and the 30mph winds too that we have along with the snow? :D
25F is a bit cool for me, but I love weather in the 50s :)

I guess snow seems nice because we don't see too much of it down here. Last snow we had was Christmas Day 2004, about 1" accumulation. That was VERY unusual!

But I know how much trouble it can cause, having been in Virginia visiting during January :) Got snowed in for 10 days, cabin fever is not nice (neither is shoveling snow)...

Last edited:
Null Modem Cable?

iafirebuff said:
No go on Channel Master! Nobody has a DB-9 F/F Null Modem Cable! ARRGH!

Are you sure that it is a DB9-9 FF Null Modem cable that you are looking for, and not a DB-9 FF Straight-Thru Cable? I had to reload the latest factory-approved software to my Fortec Lifetime Ultra, because the unit that I had bought from Ebay had non-approved software on it. All I had to use was the DB-9 F/F Straight-Thru cable that cost me a total of $4.95 at the local surplus store.

Well, on the Fortec site they say a null modem cable, and I was told be someone with the same receiver to use a straight through with a null modem adapter. I can't get anything close to either of those here in town. I can get a DB9 on one end and a db25 on the other, but no adapters were in stock. So, I will just order the usb/DB9 this weekend. It is too bad, but everytime I try to buy local I end up wasting time :(

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Radio Shack. Friends of mine have worked at various stores in my area and its always fun to go in and mess with them :)

As far as prices go, Radio Shack is WAY overpriced. However, their clearance deals can be outrageously good, so it always pays to stop by and check.

"No, I do not want the extended warranty with my F-fittings, thanks." :)

yesterday, I ended up going to the the rat shack to buy some more audio cords. The all-in-wonder can export tv signals from pc fine, but I was having lots of troubles converting the audio in such a way that it could get in to the vcr to export to the other vcr to get to the living room... so I went and just bought a bunch of audio extension cords from the rat shack, and stuck them in the soundblaster audigy's line in... so now the pc can export to the tv in living room as a second monitor with pics via coax and the soundblaster brings in the sound... so not only can we get all the fta stuff, we also can get internet radio and tv sent through the whole house since the pcs are upstairs, the living room is on main floor, and there's another tv and speakers I got run from there to the basement.

I used lots of electric tape to waterproof where the speaker extension cords connect - only two places of which are outside (using 20 foot long cords), so hopefully it'll be ok. The audio cords are following the same path the coax is, which goes outside a vent in the attic, along the underside of an overhanging gutter, and then along the roof til it gets near the chimney and down, so it doesn't look too shaby.

Now, I just gotta wait on those darn channel 4 combiners to get it so that the signal going in to the antenna in on the fta receiver pulls in both the signal coming from the antenna and the pc.
------------
edit: Just had to come back and say, after experiencing this for a while - I absolutlely love being able to send internet tv, internet radio, and basically anything that the computer sees throughout the house! It's totally freaking awesome. No reception for radio in the tv - who freakin cares! Ya still got thousands of online tv and radio stations! I wouldn't have had the power to do this all before I got in to fta... it's you guys here at satelliteguys.us that got me to get that creative audigy soundblaster external usb thing. That thing is amazin and anyone and everyone ought to get one! Total coolness.... Also totally cool being able to see tv on the pc and control a tv channel from here more or less! :) Got to think ati all-in-wonder for that. Ati's quality is better than nvidia, but still a bit of a pain to get the drivers fixed up. Spent a good half a day trying to get it up and going since there were some problems with conflicts in old drivers, but now all is swell, and awesome. Want to see a weird pic - see attachment. Pretty weird how you see so many screens inside of screens, but it's all pretty cool once you see what actually is going on:

The pc is looking at the vcr, which is looking at another vcr, which is looking at the pc... so it's sort of like when you look in a mirror and there's a mirror behind you. You almost see in to infinity, but not quite... sort of a really bizzare infinity loop that I've created, but one that's needed to get the tv out from the computer's ati all-in-wonder to go to the fta receiver, and then loop back to the computer through some ingenious loopbacks. Only thing that'll suck, is there might be a delay due to the way it's wired, so I'm afraid the sound coming through audio cords may be faster than the video if I send movies to the tv in living room from pc, but it'll be a small gap, so hopefully won't be noticible... and it'll be constant, so sort of like watching a dubbed foriegn movies where lips are out of sync, but not by much...

When I first turn to that channel, which is coming outta the vcr to the pc, you see one screen, then another comes in behind/inside of it, and on and on... pretty weird, yet cool. I only see that weirdness when I turn on the tv viewer in the ati media interface thingy, and tune in to the tv on that one channel that's got the pc on which is looking at the ati tv on that channel which which is looking at the ati tv on that channel which which is looking at the ati tv on that channel which which is looking at the ati tv on that channel which...etc.

Most other times, you only see the one pc monitor screen on the tv... so going in to windows media or whatever player I choose for whatever, and entering full screen is like watching normal tv only, it's coming over the internet. Lots more channels doing iptv... and more are coming every day... so I'm loving this way of doing things...

Attachments

• infinity.JPG
    infinity.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
brought the pontoon in...god what a b**ch that was.

The lake has dropped so much because of no rain the pontoon was out 90 feet or so from shore and it STILL was on sand (wasn't a few weeks ago). So my dad thought we were going to dig trenches (about 6 feet long behind the pontoon along with trenches around it) to get water underneath and push it out into the water and down 5 cabins to where the boat ramp is and load it on a trailer.

Well we got the trenches dug and we moved it....a whole inch and a half. I told my dad wouldnt it be easier to pull it in with the truck?
He said nope because of the sand on shore.

Well Saturday after my dad's buddies came up the neighbor guy brought his "dock jack" over and we all agreed that the best way was to yank it on shore (or as my dad said "let the ice heaves this winter do it") :)

jacked the front up, put a couple round timbers underneath, hooked up a few barge ropes and chains to the dually and yanked that bugger in :) Quite an interesting sight seeing this done and having to work around the soft sand and the rocks we have on the shoreline...but its in :D

Also I found a DirecPC dish (36x20) on the end of someone's driveway up by the lake. Said "FREE" on it :)

oh, and I did get some stuff done today at home :D
-moved the table for the T90 about 2 feet closer to the corner of the deck
-repeaked all LNB's
-added a LNB
-had to swap the lNB ont he motorized because one of the ports blew out :(
-moved the C-Band dish over about a foot...signal on the nets from 45 to 75 now (the motorized on the roof was partically blocking the C-Band dish)
-added 111.1 back to my SC setup (now that I got the 22k switches)

Sounds like WORK Ice! All I did was some blind scanning, and started a fire outside. Watching the fire now from inside :) Real windy out! We should have a Sat Guys Midwest get together some time. It would be nice to meet all that I talk to on here :) I am anti social though, but I would make an exception for fellow sat guys :)

Last edited:
We should have a Sat Guys Midwest get together some time. It would be nice to meet all that I talk to one here :) I am anti social though, but I would make an exception for fellow sat guys :)

Neat idea. I know there are a few of us from the Twin Cities or near by :)

The Mall Of America exit is right around 3 hours from my house. I know there are a few of you up there, me in Iowa (anyone else in Iowa?), KC, Wisconsin.......could be fun :)

thats a long drive, where's this mall at____ your scaring me ... if the wife finds out theres a mall involved and this is the one that supposed to the the worlds largest geeess......

it's about 6 hours for me to drive there...........all the way from Canada! I was down that way a few weeks ago for a wedding........damn near in Iowa actually.

We like the aquarium at the mall. Got to touch a shark and a sting ray! Amana is kinda out of the way to the twin Cities from KC, but if you like real food..... did you check out their web site? YUMMY!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)