Time for a new thread for you radio guys.

Comptech

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
Getting back into Ham and CB, I bought a uniden 980 to play with, decent, but not to good, So I ordered a New President Lincoln II+ and am having it tuned and peaked, looking forward to the 10 meter band. I have been gone for too long. I am having it modded to 11 meters also just to check in on the idiots, I know the 980 is CB only, but tweaked my interest again. When alinged and tweaked 12 meter should be fun. Yes I have a general license.

Reactions: N6BY
A

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
I 2nd the vote. I think it's cool that FM has been implemented in the CB band. Heck, I don't even have an operational CB radio. My dad and me got our tickets when I was something like 10. Unfortunately once I started working, somewhere in the flurry of life I let it expire. I had attained a general class license. But always had a receiver waiting for me at my current place of residence. Even if it required hiding a wire antenna in bushes and trees and digging a shallow trench to bury the feedline evidence at my condo, HOA sucks.
Not exactly a "gasping" hobby. We need to keep it alive. I somehow just always though of the CB guys throwing on a Superman shirt while looking like the little kid on the original Star Trek "The Corbomite Maneuver" episode before keying down. RTTY and wefax used to captivate me when it was all over the bands. Needing expensive and perhaps difficult to find equipment to spit out a paper copy. Now those modes and much more can all be done with computer software. The classic modes are sparse these days. It's still the thrill of the chase. Digital modes abound.
Apocalypse2

Corrado

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
It's already been 5 years since I've been licensed and my son just got his in April. The ham radio has certainly cut into my satellite hobby time. I have dual band 2M, 70CM radios and CBs in every vehicle I own. I love the small President Bill CB unit for the cars.

Phil T

Phil T

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Littleton, Colorado
I was big into CB in the mid 60's to early 70's. I had QSL cards from all over the country via skip. Then a little bit after I got my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. I still have a Cobra Roadtrip portable set up I used in the Jeep and a pair of Motorola 49mhz walky-talkies I use sometimes when hiking.

I also have a RadioShack Pro-106 scanner I bought in 2013 when my daughter was a dispatcher. It is pretty useless now that most police/sheriff systems are scrambled.

I also have a Sony ICF 2010 and ICF SW 7600 short wave receivers. I wish I would have kept my late 50's early 60's Zenith Transoceanic that I sold in a garage sale in the 80's for $20.00.

Titanium

Titanium

AI6US
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
FM on CB :eeek.... Thank the gods for FM capture effect, but can you imagine the heterodyne mess when the band opens???!!!

Working 6m / 10m FM and the repeaters is a challenge, even with semi-disciplined ops! CB Ops? :facepalm

AI6US aka " Super Beagle - Sidewinder 4405

Reactions: N6BY and KE4EST
N6BY

N6BY

Geek
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I have been inactive on the ham bands, but I wrote an SDR program about 5 years ago named "DR Processor". I haven't used the program in a few years. It worked OK most of the time, but it still has some bugs that I never was able to figure out. The program is complex and multi-threaded, and I think the problem is in the inter-process communication.

I used to really enjoy exploring the spectrum with it -- police, fire, businesses (whatever was in the clear). I even added a crude scanner function to it. But now most of the radio traffic I'm interested in is digital, and I have not attempted to write code to convert digital to voice.

My house is ideally situated for VHF/UHF and above communication to everything in the southwest direction. And on many summer nights there is enough tropospheric ducting for me to receive the SF Bay Area stations.

Besides radio, I am still heavily into weather satellite image reception. I wrote a program named "GRB Imager" to decode the NOAA weather satellite signal into imagery and animations. Unlike my SDR Program, "GRB Imager" is rock solid. No bugs and no crashes at all. :)

Reactions: Corrado and Foxbat
Corrado

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I can't help but think about why would someone with any understanding of radio propagation would have decided to assign CBRS into the upper HF band.

We use our CBs on the road between family vehicles but have seen times when the band was open that a vehicle within sight had to get through S10+ noise.

I can't understand the reasoning for the adding FM other than pressure from radio manufacturers. Many of those non type accepted "export" or easily converted 10m radios were AM-FM already.

It should have been elsewhere in the VHF, UHF bands and FM all along. Even the use of smaller antennas for mobile use would have been more beneficial.

More in line with what GMRS is today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 29)

• thomasjk
  • brice52
  • mljoness
  • lost_mesa
  • Radioguy41
  • WI Dark
  • Jim S.
  • Corrado
  • waylew
  • arlo
  • Titanium
  • Foxbat