time for deregulation?

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
is it time to hit the cable industry with the same type of deregulation the phone industry recieved?

im sure there are some older people here who remember ma bell, and when you wanteed to buy a phone you went to thier outlet to get it. 1 provider 1 choice. thats it.

so should we allow any cable company to provide cable on the wires of another company? i think access fees are charged for a phone line, i cant remember it all.

just a random thought on my part

Yeah, but I also remember that my phone bill was $7/mo back in regulated days. Yep, long distance cost extra, colored phones cost extra, caller id cost extra, etc, but basic service was under $10/mo. And when something broke, Ma Bell sent someone out to fix it. For free.

Current phone situation is not really parallel. Phones can be based on AT&T wires, cable modem or cell technology. Similar connectivity options for internet with DSL, cable modem, dial up, 802.11a wireless and 3G/4G cell technologies.

Back in the 80s, before the break up, companies were doing cheap long distance by bulk leasing AT&T lines or by building their own. Nobody was terribly interested in providing alternate LOCAL service although there were a few experiments made. I'd have to say that internet can't get much more open than it already is.

Cable also has multiple choices with traditional cable, DISH, DTV, FIOS and the newly expanded OTA in metro areas. There is also the emerging TV over IP we are seeing, which is exactly what you are describing. That's what is being protected by the net neutrality regulations.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly you are proposing to open. Cable TV requires bandwidth. Lots of bandwidth. TWC in my area broadcasts a station, say ESPN on a certain channel. How could I receive ESPN from another carrier. Are you suggesting that TWC handle the cable maintenance, as well as content management and then let Comcast come in, hook up to their feed, add their own custom interface (which is maintained at the central office) and pay a discount fee back to TWC? I guess I don't see how that is going to be cheaper, especially since most of these big increases have gone into program acquision costs.

no clue how they can do it, thats up to the techs, but they did do it with phones, was just wondering if its possible/feasible/time for cable to do it.

currently the way it works iirc is that a cabel company comes into an area, gets an exclusive distribution contract, builds the lines then provides service.
the same way phone, electric, ect did it for years, until deregulation allowed other options

is it perfect? no. but there is always the option of switching if you dont have the service you want from the company your using.

currently your choices are more limited. cable/sat/maybe fios

Uh, you mention power and separating the wires from the generators and the service. Ever hear of Enron? The California energy crisis that took down Gray Davis?

Basically, the decoupling has NEVER led to lower prices for the consumer. You can look at the competition and decide whether you want to pay 10% or 12% more than you were before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts