Time Warner Cable Promises to Kill the Cable Box

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Promises-to-Kill-the-Cable-Box-135523

Speaking on the company's earnings call with the press and analysts, Time Warner Cable CEO Rob Marcus this week promised that the company is doing everything in its power to kill the traditional cable box. Marcus confirmed that the company is conducting a trial in New York City starting in a few weeks that will provide customers with the company's usual slate of channels, but all delivered via broadband.

The roku works amazingly well on TWC. we have 3 tivos and 3 rokus.

if they find a way to incorporate a dvr feature with the roku app, then there will be no need for a cable box.

The roku works amazingly well on TWC. we have 3 tivos and 3 rokus.

if they find a way to incorporate a dvr feature with the roku app, then there will be no need for a cable box.

Or if every channel had a app for a Roku ( or other device) like say FX Now for example we would have no need of a DVR.

I recorded something on my TIVO over the weekend. It was only broadcast once and the channel place copy lock on it. Not available on website or any plans for release. I seriously doubt that a Roku app would have helped in this case.

For the sports fans, I would say delayed broadcast of sports falls into this category.

As poor as their cable box offerings are, what have they got to lose?

TWC (and Cox) have rattled this sabre before. It may be a little more palatable now than it was last time but the cable box thing isn't over until the FCC says it's over (regardless of whether or not they've got a deal going with TiVo).

As poor as their cable box offerings are, what have they got to lose?

TWC (and Cox) have rattled this sabre before. It may be a little more palatable now than it was last time but the cable box thing isn't over until the FCC says it's over (regardless of whether or not they've got a deal going with TiVo).

it probably has more to do with the cable cards.

a tivo will not have any cable channel in HD without it. the roku, otoh, works just fine.

it probably has more to do with the cable cards.
It probably doesn't as the CableCard requirement for all cable boxes sunsets next month. At that point the end of CableCard is nigh.

We can't overlook that there were 53 million rented cablecard boxes but only 617,000 third party devices (and certainly not all of them TiVos) out there. The cable (or cable-like) providers couldn't give a tinker's damn if TiVos work or not as most TiVotees don't have provider options.

This article provides some insight into where things are and who is in favor of what alternatives to CableCard (or closing the door on third party access altogether):

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/parties-take-sides-dstac-report/394446

It probably doesn't as the CableCard requirement for all cable boxes sunsets next month. At that point the end of CableCard is nigh.

We can't overlook that there were 53 million rented cablecard boxes but only 617,000 third party devices (and certainly not all of them TiVos) out there. The cable (or cable-like) providers couldn't give a tinker's damn if TiVos work or not as most TiVotees don't have provider options.

This article provides some insight into where things are and who is in favor of what alternatives to CableCard (or closing the door on third party access altogether):

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/parties-take-sides-dstac-report/394446

Yes, STELAR put an end to the cablecard, but yet satellite providers still use cards for their security.

without a doubt, twc is pushing for an all out IP based security system. it is cheaper, easier, and more secure. you used to be able to take a cablebox from one location and use it at another. this is no longer possible with twc, but easily doable with satellite.

in the end, it works out well for the customers.

Yes, STELAR put an end to the cablecard, but yet satellite providers still use cards for their security.
My DISH Hopper doesn't have a security card in it. The functionality is built into the electronics. There's still a slot available if they need to deploy new security technology though. There's still some question as to whether or not the DBS providers will be required to employ whatever standard that replaces CableCard given that there doesn't seem to be a route to an economically feasible tuner that can do both DBS and whatever cable has in the works.

I expect that regardless of what the DSTAC comes up with, at least half of the players (content providers, hardware manufacturers and carriers) will be vehemently opposed.

My DISH Hopper doesn't have a security card in it. The functionality is built into the electronics. There's still a slot available if they need to deploy new security technology though. There's still some question as to whether or not the DBS providers will be required to employ whatever standard that replaces CableCard given that there doesn't seem to be a route to an economically feasible tuner that can do both DBS and whatever cable has in the works.

I expect that regardless of what the DSTAC comes up with, at least half of the players (content providers, hardware manufacturers and carriers) will be vehemently opposed.

they are still there, they are integrated into the IRD.

it will be interesting to see what takes place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts