Time Warner Press Release

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TRSmudge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Rhinelander, Wi
News Release – September 7, 2007

Time Warner announces changes to its HD programming

Time Warner announced this morning that it is conceding defeat in the HD broadcast market.

“Given the rapid increase in HD programs offered by our competition, we have no choice but to suspend all HD programming at Time Warner.” said spokesman Bill Dimwit.

In a survey taken earlier today 96% of Time Warner’s clients said they wouldn't notice, since there was virtually no HD programming to begin with.

Sorry, just having fun.....:rolleyes:
My Father sent this to me.....
He has TW and I have Dish and it's obviously really starting to get to him....
TRSmudge

I left Dish 4 years ago for TWC because they could give me an HD-DVR for a few dollars per month while Dish wanted $1000 to buy one (the 921). When I started with them, they had (8) HD channels; today they have (8) (dropped InHD2, added Universal HD). They may have added ESPN2-HD recently.

Hmm...I get:

NBC-HD (local)
PBS-HD (local)
CBS-HD (local)
FOX-HD (local)
MyTV-HD (local)
TNT-HD
ESPN-HD
ESPN-2 HD
Discovery-HD
A&E-HD
MTV-HD
YES-HD

Plus HBO-HD because I subscribe to HBO.

They want an extra $5 for HDNet, HDNet Movies, MOJO, and Universal HD. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

In TWC San Antonio, we get...

100 HD Movies On Demand
104 WOAI-NBC HD
107 KMYS HD
108 KLRN-PBS HD
111 KABB-FOX HD
112 KSAT-ABC HD
124 ESPN HD
125 ESPN2 High Definition
127 TNT HD
128 A&E HD*
130 Discovery HD Theater
134 MHD*
150 Fox Sports Net HD/Special Events--Channel 150 is not a full-time channel. Programming will be televised as scheduled.
155 KENS-CBS HD
160 MOJO (NBA TV HD pre-empted on MOJO)
162 HDNet
163 HDNET Movies
164 NBC Universal High Definition
170 - 179 HD Movies On Demand
180 HBO HD
181 Showtime HD
182 Cinemax HD
183 Starz HDTV
184 TMC HD
185 HBO West HD
186 Showtime West HD
187 Cinemax West HD
188 Starz West HD

Abner, great, you live in an area where AT&T has its headquarters, so with U-Verse breathing down TWC-San Antonio's neck (so to speak), you get more HD channels than any other TWC location in the country.
Ask anyone in Ohio or the Carolinas (big TWC areas) how FEW HD channels they get as HD subscribers-or have been added like you have got this past year and hall and I will be happy for you and not for us.
While you have have lucky, as we have got (Wisconsin and Ohio) almost nothing in HD channel additions...period!

Good point...although I'm not considering moving to AT&T. From what I understand about U-Verse, the fiber doesn't run all the way to the house and there are bandwidth restrictions e.g. only one HD program at a time. I have two SA8300HD's and often am watching one while the wife watches another program.

I am watching D* and their recent HD announcements. I moved from satellite to cable and can easily move back.

Regards,

Here in the Binghamton New York TWC monoply we get the following in HD:
NBC
ABC
FOX
PBS (2)
Discovery
TNT
HBO
Showtime
MOJO
MHD
HDNET
HDMOV
ESPN
ESPN2
SNYHD(Mets baseball)
YESHD(Yankees Baseball)

Some of the above are an extra $5 a month but the fee is waived for the first year. The CBS affliate is in a pissing match with TWC for fees so their HD feed is not available.

TWC in Raleigh, NC

Just to add my 2cents, here in Raleigh, NC, we current get/have available...

Locals
================
WRAL-HD (CBS)
WRAZ-HD (FOX)
WTVD-HD (ABC)
WNCN-HD (NBC)
WLFL-HD (CW)
WRDC-HD (MyTV)
WUNC-HD (PBS)

Other
================
Discovery HD Theater
TNT-HD
ESPN-HD
ESPN2-HD
MOJO*
HDNet*
HDNet Movies*
Universal HD*
MHD*
HD On Demand*

*Part of HD Suite: $6.95/mo

Premium
================
HBO-HD
SHOWTIME-HD

And to tell the truth... I'VE HAD IT! :mad: They have not added a decent channel in over a year (I'm not a fan of sports, so ESPN2-HD didn't do anything for me). I know there is a world out there full of high definition content that is growing every month... but not here. That's why I signed up for DirecTV a few days ago. :eureka My install is Friday. I'm so excited to get rid of their ever increasing pricing , frequently crashing DVR, poor video quality, and mostly their lack of desire to add anything interesting or make it worth my $$$. I, personally, can't wait to kick TWC to the curb!

If you are looking for HD content, TWC has nothing to offer (outside of San Antonio, apparently). I'd advise you to make a beeline to another provider

So, they are just giving up?

That is really disappointing. I just setup a new HD Plasma for my dad this past weekend, and they live in a Time Warner service area. I swapped out their box for a HD DVD, and was really............really disappointed with the channel line up and PQ, not to mention that we went through 3 boxes until they finally gave me one that worked. That in itself was 2 days of messing around with it. They did not even have the local channels in HD. Maybe I am spoiled by the FIOS TV service where I live, but I really felt bad for my dad- because he is not going to have much HD programming to watch on his new Plasma. I set up an OTA antenna for him- but there is only 1 HD broadcaster (CBS) there right now, so it doesn't help much.

The current HD Channel line up there is:

501 HBO East HD
503 Cinemax HD
505 Showtime HD
551 MOJO
552 HD Net Movies
553 HD Net
556 Universal HD
706 ABC Affiliate from a different city. Box shows that it is 720p, but the format is 4:3, not widescreen
710 PBS HD from a different city
751 Discovery HD Theater
752 TNT HD
753 ESPN HD
754 ESPN2 HD
755 Music HD

Since he dosn't watch music videos, doesn't watch ESPN, and doesn't want to subscribe to HBO, Showtime or Cinemax- It leaves him with crap. I talked him into getting the "HD Pack for $7.00 something so he can have HD Net, MOJO and Universal HD. If he didn't subscribe to that pack, he would really have pretty much no HD content to watch.

Their service really disappointed me. My sisters and I were really excited about getting him that new TV hoping it would be something for him to really enjoy- but TW just dropped the ball, and doesn't seem to care much about trying to provide quality service.

I'm actually not surprised that they just decided to give up on HD- by the looks of it, they had already made that decision a long time ago.

I think I'm going to get him a satellite service setup as a gift this winter, because the poor quality of time warner's product is insulting to paying subscribers.

Just to add my 2cents, here in Raleigh, NC, we current get/have available...

Locals
================
WRAL-HD (CBS)
WRAZ-HD (FOX)
WTVD-HD (ABC)
WNCN-HD (NBC)
WLFL-HD (CW)
WRDC-HD (MyTV)
WUNC-HD (PBS)

Other
================
Discovery HD Theater
TNT-HD
ESPN-HD
ESPN2-HD
MOJO*
HDNet*
HDNet Movies*
Universal HD*
MHD*
HD On Demand*

*Part of HD Suite: $6.95/mo

Premium
================
HBO-HD
SHOWTIME-HD

And to tell the truth... I'VE HAD IT! :mad: They have not added a decent channel in over a year (I'm not a fan of sports, so ESPN2-HD didn't do anything for me). I know there is a world out there full of high definition content that is growing every month... but not here. That's why I signed up for DirecTV a few days ago. :eureka My install is Friday. I'm so excited to get rid of their ever increasing pricing , frequently crashing DVR, poor video quality, and mostly their lack of desire to add anything interesting or make it worth my $$$. I, personally, can't wait to kick TWC to the curb!

If you are looking for HD content, TWC has nothing to offer (outside of San Antonio, apparently). I'd advise you to make a beeline to another provider

I'm with you, bro. I signed up for Dish Network, which will be installed in 9 days. I can't wait to get rid of TWC.

Just to be clear...

I subscribed to TWC's HD service 2.5 years ago. The whole time, I've had an HD DVR and the HD Suite. When I first subscribed to HD, I got the following...

Locals
================
WRAL-HD (CBS)
WRAZ-HD (FOX)
WTVD-HD (ABC)
WNCN-HD (NBC)
WUNC-HD (PBS)

Other
================
Discovery HD Theater
TNT-HD
ESPN-HD*
INHD*
INHD2*
HDNet*
HDNet Movies*
HD On Demand*

*Part of HD Suite: $5.95/mo

Premium
================
HBO-HD
SHOWTIME-HD

In the years since, they've added two locals (WLFL-HD (CW) & WRDC-HD (MyTV)). In the HD Suite they removed one (INHD2), converted one (INHD -> MOJO), added two (MHD & Universal HD) and a started charging an extra $1/month. They also added ESPN2-HD and took both HD ESPN's out of the HD Suite. Now, for my $$$, I could care less about the ESPNs, MHD, CW & MyTV. But that is just me. In any event, they've not added anything to write home about in a long, long time. :confused:

Last edited:
In my earlier post about my local TW's HD offerings, I left off the local networks since they don't apply to other areas. FWIW, they carry CBS, ABC, and FOX. They do not carry NBC or what used to be the WB (CW now ?).

They do offer Showtime HD and HBO HD (and possibly Starz HD now). Again, those require a subscription to the main movie channel package.

I subscribed to TWC's HD service 2.5 years ago. The whole time, I've had an HD DVR and the HD Suite. When I first subscribed to HD, I got the following...

Locals
================
WRAL-HD (CBS)
WRAZ-HD (FOX)
WTVD-HD (ABC)
WNCN-HD (NBC)
WUNC-HD (PBS)

Other
================
Discovery HD Theater
TNT-HD
ESPN-HD*
INHD*
INHD2*
HDNet*
HDNet Movies*
HD On Demand*

*Part of HD Suite: $5.95/mo

Premium
================
HBO-HD
SHOWTIME-HD

In the years since, they've added two locals (WLFL-HD (CW) & WRDC-HD (MyTV)). In the HD Suite they removed one (INHD2), converted one (INHD -> MOJO), added two (MHD & Universal HD) and a started charging an extra $1/month. They also added ESPN2-HD and took both HD ESPN's out of the HD Suite. Now, for my $$$, I could care less about the ESPNs, MHD, CW & MyTV. But that is just me. In any event, they've not added anything to write home about in a long, long time. :confused:

Your area's TWC parallels our Wisconsin region-nothing added exception being the CW and MyNtwkTV HD locals as yours did.
You are one better than us, however, YOUR TWC location added MHD and we never got anything at all to replace our INHD2 loss, ever.
As for me, I like some CW HD shows as the analogue channel is horrific.
MHD is probably boring for some folks, but for me, an interesting diversion between channel changes and something our current "warlord" manager in Wisconsin, Bev Greenburg probably didn't like - so we never got it, IMHO.
So we have one pitiful HD channel between us...sad, after all this time.
More HDTVs are being sold than ever before and more HD channels are up or about to be running, so what is it with TWC?

Once the new Directv HD channels start appearing, TWC will wonder (it it wonders at all) where all its best cable customers are going to (its HD subscribers) and it will probably be too late.
In our area, we cannot get any HD locals from Dish at all, only three HD locals (no CBS HD due to a "pissing match") with Directv and OTA is not always ideal for everybody to get HD locals, so we are pretty much screwed.

Can you others reporting in get your basic four HD network locals from Dish or Directv without antenna use?

More HDTVs are being sold than ever before and more HD channels are up or about to be running, so what is it with TWC?

Once the new Directv HD channels start appearing, TWC will wonder (it it wonders at all) where all its best cable customers are going to (its HD subscribers) and it will probably be too late.

I got sick of waiting for TWC. I signed up with Dish last week. Will be installed next Wed.

Good move, toadfannc. I left TWC 15 months ago and I have never looked back. Since then I've had 5 friends drop TWC and move to Dish. TWC is a terrible company to begin with, and if they aren't going to compete in both price and product then there is no need for me to be their customer. I cut the cable and my $150 a month... now it goes to both Dish and AT&T (Internet).

My installation for DirecTV is Friday!!! As you may have noted above, I'm so excited to kick TWC to the curb! After this post, I'll be over on the DirecTV boards!!! :) Talk to you all later!!!

In the years since, they've added two locals (WLFL-HD (CW) & WRDC-HD (MyTV)). In the HD Suite they removed one (INHD2), converted one (INHD -> MOJO), added two (MHD & Universal HD) and a started charging an extra $1/month.
At least you get Universal HD now. I'm just down the road in the Triad and we don't get MHD or Universal HD, nor do we get the MyTV in HD. We do get ABC local (WXLV) in HD now, thanks to either TWC or Sinclair Broadcasting. Of course, we didn't have it for a while thanks to both TWC and Sinclair...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts