TimeTrax for a while, but wanting to add XM PCR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cavie

Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a XM PCR for a decent price of Ebay, seeing as how XMLM is on satellite again (really the only station I was interested in time shifting). I really never cared for the quality of the 64k streams even on my car stereo.

But, now I'm worried about being able to get it to work with unsupported TimeTrax.

#1) Do I risk "breaking" my working copy of TimeTrax by trying to enable XM PCR recording?

#2) Will my existing codes work since I was only using TT to record XM Online before?

#3) It looks like back in May lots of XM PCR users had an issue with XM PCR and TT, and the only responses here pointed them towards the support forum to open a trouble ticket.

In hindsight I never liked the way this was setup (even the help is online HTML no longer available), and I didn't like how they always pointed people to support channels instead of giving more support here (which could have been archived). Now that is biting people in the butt and nobody from TT is in a hurry to do much of anything here is seems. I cannot believe that of all the posters here from TT that still visited not one of them has come in to offer help with technical issues or with the numerous order problems.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I've seen this type of thing before and usually people just get dragged along until there is absolutely no communication.

Last edited:
Cavie, not sure if you get it or not but TimeTrax the company is no more. This is why they are not giving support.

Yeah, of course I get it. I also see posts from Elliot 5 days ago saying all this stuff he is going to do and I don't see any of it, and I see posts from other TimeTrax people that have not been around since the company folded. Usually somebody tries to pick up the pieces in situations like this.

I've seen a lot of promises so far but no action.

TimeTrax's registration is tied to a specific radio ID. If you didn't have the radio when you activated TimeTrax, then you can't use it with TimeTrax.

But I had NO radio, so the only thing I actually registered was for use of XM Online. Is there a chance when I hook up the radio the existing registration servers will let me register that functionality, since from the e-mail receipts I have it looks like I paid for that capability?

If not, any future "unlocking" that may or may not happen needs to loosen this up, IMO.

As said above, that license you bought was tied to a particular radio ID. Obviously you never assigned it one. You didn't buy a radio when you got the software and you won't find a single person at TimeTrax interested in configuring your account since there doesn't appear to be any TimeTrax employees left. So, as a result, you have nothing when it comes to a real radio. TimeTrax is gone. Timetrax, as an operating company, is the one who issued those associations and entered them in their database. Hooking up any old radio isn't going to do you a bit of good or none of us would be worried about anything because we could change equipment at will. Employees of Timetrax had to generate your equipment registration for the software. You won't be seeing anyone making any heroic efforts there on your behalf. We're working toward keeping existing authorizations running.

If, somewhere down the road, the software goes to open source then that's a different story because there will be improvements in the software and there won't be any more software/radio ID bindings but I wouldn't hold my breath for a hope for open source considering what we've seen in the way of openness, cooperation and truthfulness up to the end.

Last edited:
I think I've got it now. Even if they open it up so it doesn't phone home, it still isn't going to work without being tied to a radio ID, and even though it looks like I should have had one open to authorize, that part of the system isn't automated enough to do it with the existing servers that are operating.

cavie said:
...that part of the system isn't automated enough to do it with the existing servers that are operating.

It isn't automated at all. The only thing that was ever automated was the retrieval of a lost registration number (in case you had to reinstall on another computer) and that was from a page on the support section of their board. That doesn't even exist anymore. That system would send you back an email for Recast online and Recast with your registration and Radio ID. You didn't have the Radio ID part so even that was useless.

The actual registration part was people-operated.

What you see being discussed is the validation servers. If you had a Radio ID and registration, the server still exists (for now) that will associate the two and authorize the software from the fill-in blanks on the software. You never had the Radio ID part to utilize that. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hopefully they will have the grace (and brains) to open it up not just to not need the servers, but also not to need the radio ID.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts