Tip: For those with new HD channels today

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
When you go to the program guide, you may notice that the program guide data is not filled in for the new HD channels. That makes it hard to set up new timers for these channels.

Do a check switch test; it will also download a whole new program guide. This has been posted before, but I thought I would mention it for people that might not know.

I was just going to post numerous threads complaining about the HD channels that I didn't get today. But OK, I'll try out your EPG trick instead.

Thanks.

You mean that all of this time all I had to do check switch test and I will have over 100 hd national channels??:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:)

I've had a problem on my 622 one morning all my channels were locked. i had to go to locks and uncheck all my channels, because they were locked. Also when USA And SCIFI came up they were locked out from being displayed. had go in locked channels and uncheck them to see them on the guide. Don't know if is a minor glitch or a software problem. I did report it to tech support. So if anyone have all your channels locked out or don't have new HD check you lock out channels. Thats if you receiver is locked

When you go to the program guide, you may notice that the program guide data is not filled in for the new HD channels. That makes it hard to set up new timers for these channels.

Do a check switch test; it will also download a whole new program guide. This has been posted before, but I thought I would mention it for people that might not know.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you perform a check switch test?????

Press and hold Power button on front panel for 5 seconds :).

When the receivers do the daily downloads, does this completely update the guide? So the way I think I understand it, the guide updates when the receivers do the daily download thing, the power button method described by Smith, P., or the test switch procedure. Is that correct? Any other ways it can be done? What about when the Dish folks do the hits to receivers? Are there different kinds of hits?

Yes, when the receivers do the daily downloads, it does update the guide. Also, when you do a check switch it updates the guide. However, I have found that doing a front panel reset does not always update the guide, (and does not update the guide for the new channels).

The reason that I posted this tip yesterday was that when the new HD channels are added, the program guide only lists the current and next show for the new channels. The rest of the guide is listed as "Data not available". You can either wait a day for the guide to update, or do a check switch test to update the guide info immediately.

Check switch does not always update the guide either. Sometimes you have to have a hit sent. I heard that DirectTV allows you do this online. Wonder when Dish is going to catch up!

Check switch does not always update the guide either. Sometimes you have to have a hit sent. I heard that DirectTV allows you do this online. Wonder when Dish is going to catch up!

The suggestions on guide up-dating that are posted above, will work 99% of the time......If the guide in your receiver needs to be brought up to speed. No need to contact E* for this to happen. The call centers are for more important problems or questions.

Upon returning home after a vacation, I found hundreds of missing channels on my 622. Did the reboots, check switch, etc. No help. Called dish tech support and they had no clue. After speaking to 4 (yes four!) people at dish tech support they told me they'd send me a new 622. Today I logged in here and saw this tread about the channel locks. Sure enough all my "missing" channels had pink squares in front of them. I clicked on "clear list" and now all is well.

Thanks for the postings. I wish the dish techs would read this site too.

Last edited:

I've never seen this method fail (unless the guide data was not actually in the stream such as local subchannels).

I've had a problem on my 622 one morning all my channels were locked. i had to go to locks and uncheck all my channels, because they were locked. Also when USA And SCIFI came up they were locked out from being displayed. had go in locked channels and uncheck them to see them on the guide. Don't know if is a minor glitch or a software problem. I did report it to tech support. So if anyone have all your channels locked out or don't have new HD check you lock out channels. Thats if you receiver is locked

I reported this problem and started a discussion here about it. Seems to affect the 622s that have an active parental control in place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts