Tip The Installers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I say, if they did a good job, atleast give em enough to get a decent lunch! (Like subs or something, not a huge meal at a fancy restraunt)

Tip nothing, it's their job to install your system, plus they make more than minimum wage.

Give them some water if they are thirsty, nothing else.

Jeez.. Some of you guys sound harsh.. I never expect to get a tip, but after I work my butt off to hook up every DVD and VCR and their surround sound system, I am sure not going to argue when the customer chips in an extra Franklyn or two.

Here is a completely biased opinion. If they do a good job, tip them, like the other guy said not a lot maybe ten bucks. If you don't feel comfortable with that you can always call direct and tell them they did a good job. Just tell them you want to leave a positive escalation. It usually gets them a bonus from their hsp. Yes they do make more than minimum wage, but everyone likes to feel like they are appreciated once in a while.

My installer ran into problems activating the receivers, and he ended up being here for 4-5 hours. I went to hand him a 20 as he was finishing up, and he told me he couldn't accept it because it was against policy. I urged him to take it and he refused.

I also will not tip money unless they really go above what I expected, but I do offer water or whatever along with a call to DirecTV with the person's name and a job well done and to recommend them to others.

I Always tip the Directv tech $20. This is why : Because they are subcontractors so they get paid by the job not by the hour. They always gave me step by step lessons on how any equipment they installed worked.And I've never in the 4 times they come to my house did I feel he couldn't be trusted. Now as far as Dishnetwork goes I don't tip them because they are paid by the hour,and they milk that for all its worth.4 hours on July 4 th to do an install (same install D* had) that only took D* 1 1/2 to do .D* had to run 1 wire Dish, had to run a 10 foot wire outside only. E* also charges for every little thing ,so No tips for E* TECHs Sorry . Plus I like Directvs equipment better that the Tech brings,,BRAND NEW. I can't say that about E*.I don't think they are supposed to wrap $500 receivers in bubble paper in an old box that looks like it came out of the garbage.

Last edited:
For a simple install, I have done nothing. But this last one in which he required patience and ingenuity to install my slimline dish and spent 2 hours doing so, I gave him $20. I would have given him $50 if I had it at the time just because I was so satisfied I finally got one installed!

For a simple install, I have done nothing. But this last one in which he required patience and ingenuity to install my slimline dish and spent 2 hours doing so, I gave him $20. I would have given him $50 if I had it at the time just because I was so satisfied I finally got one installed!
I would agree with that .For a dish alinment I wouldn't tip.

I tipped my installer $20 because he did a good job running the cables. My neighbor install looks horrible.

:D That would explain all of the broken stuff.

Forgot to mention, here's The funny part about my installer declining my tip due to it being against policy... he offered to run more cable (dropping a 2nd line to a location) for $50 under the table. He's supposed to charge $75 and report the extra work. Guess that's not against policy. :)

Here is a completely biased opinion. If they do a good job, tip them, like the other guy said not a lot maybe ten bucks. If you don't feel comfortable with that you can always call direct and tell them they did a good job. Just tell them you want to leave a positive escalation. It usually gets them a bonus from their hsp. Yes they do make more than minimum wage, but everyone likes to feel like they are appreciated once in a while.

I do a good job at my place of employment, I don't get tips, I don't expect tips. They are doing their jobs, that's what they get paid to do, they aren't waiters or waitresses who depend on their tips in order to survive.

I tip (and did) for a good job. After reading many horror stories I was very pleased with my install (it was last October). Mainly because he let me do a lot of the work. I had him put together and install the dish (cables already run, was replacing a 3 LNB) while I installed the new multiswitch, HR20 was already installed and running.

Now he should *not* have installed my dish cause my pole was to small. But I insisted and said I'd fix it if it wasn't right. He could tell I knew what I was doing when I showed him my setup so he agreed. I shimmed the pole with wood and he installed it (I have done it right with an adapter a few months ago). But it was a Saturday afternoon, late, Tigers playoff game and he wasn't in a hurry, he wanted to do the job right. I kept him informed of the score and he was happy. The big thing for me is that he made me a lot of cables he didn't have to, a bunch of 5 foot patch cables and some 10 footers and put the dish up when he normally wouldn't have.

And he actually knew what he was doing, which as I've read is pretty rare these days.

I tipped the guy 10 bucks to go get some beer. He was happy.

I do a good job at my place of employment, I don't get tips, I don't expect tips. They are doing their jobs, that's what they get paid to do, they aren't waiters or waitresses who depend on their tips in order to survive.
I was curious about this with my last installer. He had just spent all day at this one customer who happened to be blind and he wanted all kinds of things done. My appointment was supposed to be in the morning and he finally was able to show up at my place at 4pm. He kept getting calls from the office as to where he was and that he had more jobs to do, so I asked if he got paid by the hour and he said no. Now that's bad. You get stuck with one bad job and there goes any chance of more income for that day.

I don't normally tip unless they do something extra. I will give them water or a pepsi.

Status
Please reply by conversation.