Tips on changing button battery in dsr-905

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Any tips appreciated- should I mod it to a larger CMOS battery like a lithium type? Anybody who has done a 905 pls chime in?

i second the request. i think mine was manufactured in '01 if the 7th digit means anything on the 905. from a quick glance it does look like there is a capacitor close by. im thinking it is their to facilitate the swap but i dont want to brick the reciever.

crackt out,.

Did my 905 a year ago. Put it on UPS in case power dipped or failed. Bought a CR2450 button battery and holder from Radio Shack.
Carefully cut the metal scraps with curved toenail scissors. I mean careful. You solder to the straps or there are holes in the
board for plus and minus. Tin the wire heat it and stick in the hole.I just wrapped my holder and battery in tape. I just removed the top cover to do it. It is to me the harder battery to replace. No gurantee you wont short it. I bought my 905 from Skyvision in 1998. It was converted on 1/5/2011 4 step method and lives on on X4 with all tiles. My hands shook like a leave the whole time. Good luck to ya

That's a better choice of battery. It has leads. Much better than holder and a CR2450. The strip of metal underneath the
battery (- lead) is kind of tricky to cut. Good Luck to ya, also.

That's a better choice of battery. It has leads. Much better than holder and a CR2450. The strip of metal underneath the
battery (- lead) is kind of tricky to cut. Good Luck to ya, also.

the button battery is attached by metal straps ?

crackt out,.

They are spot welded little flat leads. They look like a button holder, but they are heat welded to the button. Very hard to
get loose, some use a dremel, but metal filings and live circuits kinda make me nervous..

They are spot welded little flat leads. They look like a button holder, but they are heat welded to the button. Very hard to
get loose, some use a dremel, but metal filings and live circuits kinda make me nervous..

I would remove from the bottom with a sucker after you put the new bat in.

I would pull the board and solider wires to the bottom and bring them out to the front and attach to the new battery. Then clip the button cell legs on the old batt. Reinstall the PCB. Secure the new batt, and fire up.

i just peeked thru the vents in the cover and it looked like a cmos battery. good to know its actually attached. i could see 2 thru holes where a person could attach the new battery. i might still have a battery kicking around that i bought for the 922. ill probe around in a couple days and take pics if i get to it.

crackt out,.

I replaced a few batteries in DSR-410 units on Sunday.All ten batteries were leaking so I would get on it soon:)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Its crazy how the battery's have green and white stuff coming out but yet still work.

I wonder how low we can go in volts i saw one at 2.92 volts and still had unit ID?

Quick question. How long can the battery be disconnected before the memory risks being wiped out when replacing it? If it's only safe for a few seconds then it's probably best to solder in a battery holder first in order to quickly put in a new battery 1 second after cutting off the old battery's positive leg.

Also, is it better to leave the unit plugged in to the wall or can it be unplugged?

Quick question. How long can the battery be disconnected before the memory risks being wiped out when replacing it? If it's only safe for a few seconds then it's probably best to solder in a battery holder first in order to quickly put in a new battery 1 second after cutting off the old battery's positive leg.

Also, is it better to leave the unit plugged in to the wall or can it be unplugged?

Um, I would not disconnect the old battery until the new one is in place. I unplug the unit and remove the board from the case to perform work.

I use digi-key part # 439-1008-ND

Ok, so it's safe to connect the new battery in parallel? As you know, doing this will double the amperage on the board but the voltage will remain the same. Can we take our time to ensure the connection is good or should we cut off the old battery immediately after connecting the new one?

Ok, so it's safe to connect the new battery in parallel? As you know, doing this will double the amperage on the board but the voltage will remain the same. Can we take our time to ensure the connection is good or should we cut off the old battery immediately after connecting the new one?

There is no choice if you want to keep from losing your unit ID. I've replaced batteries in a VCRS and DSR922 by paralleling the existing battery. There is always the chance of a battery exploding (especially if you put it in backwards - or short circuiting it). Make sure that your leads are adequately/properly soldered before removing the old battery. It's better to take your time doing this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What Cband dealers are left.

Any known tricks to get 920 to boot up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)