Tips to improve OTA reception with indoor antenna?

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
Our local NBC and associated CW channels are blacked out (and have been for at least a couple of weeks now.) As a result, I finally hooked up the dual channel OTA adapter I've had since about when it first came out.

The good news is that, if I put the antenna in the right spot (I have limited locations due to the room where my Hopper 3 is sitting) I can pick up the local NBC and CW channels. And, as most know, OTA networks have a VERY good picture quality (no compression.)

The bad news: first, even though the channel has high (85-95) strength as measured by the H3, once in a while when I tune to it, I get the seeking channel box and it never comes on. Even though the signal strength it is showing is good. Usually if I change channels and come back, it comes on fine. (Not always on fist attempt but often.) This is problematic because I fear if I have the DVR set to record a show on that channel, it may not record because for some undefined reason it's not coming in. Anyone else see this, and any tips to eliminate this problem?

The less bad news but something I'd like to fix if possible: The room where the H3 sits is downstairs. One window. I'm using a good amplified indoor antenna.The windows faces north, all of our network stations are located south. After experimenting, I can orient the antenna to get the NBC and CW and Fox channels, but not the CBS and ABC channels (even though they are located south of here, about 45 minutes.) I can orient the antenna a different way and get the ABC and CBS stations, but not the NBC and Fox. Puzzles me, since they're all directly south. I can sometimes GET all the stations, but two of them will be too weak to view.

Are there any tricks or tips for increasing the strength of reception on indoor antennas other than put it in a window (not really possible for this setup?) Will adding another pre-amp like this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00DQN3R9O
to my amplified antenna just mess it up vs. further strengthening the signals?

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Because of the take down, we've been installing more OTA's than doing Dish jobs. (5 out of 6 jobs Saturday were OTA installs). I'm not real enamored with the Indoor OTA's, tbh, but in the Basement is a challenge. You can try the Amp or try to extend the antenna up to a higher point in your house - which is what I ended up doing on one that was getting no channels - by using a pre-run, wall fished cable from the basement up to a 1st floor bedroom

I don't have an answer for a channel needing you to switch between channels sometimes for it to be received. I don't have a Hopper nor dual tuner.

If you are already using a pre-amp then no, another won't help. Adding Pre-amps is not multiplied reception. When it can make a difference is for long runs of cable, having a pre-amp at the antenna then having one right before it connects to the receiver can is some cases help. But that still is not multiplying it's "refreshing" for lack of a better term the original amps signal to gain back some of what is lost in the long cable.

There are so many variables it just isn't possible to figure out why you are getting the results you are. Channels that are higher/UHF are easier to receiver than lower/VHF channels that may require a better VHF antenna.

It could be though all are South, the ones harder to get from the location you are trying are having something blocking the signal, but if you went directly out the window to the south they would come in.

There is also the unknown element - sometimes a channel just has a high signal at your house while another does not, go a couple streets over and that isn't the case.

It sounds to me as best I can determine with not actually being there, if you put up an outside antenna you will get all the channels. Though not quite as up to date as it once was this site can tell you what to expect.

TV Fool

Tell us more about the residence please. Single story/multistory? Type of construction frame/concrete? TVfool or what channels are you trying to receive VHF/UHF? Floor plan of house? Zoning/HOA restrictions?

Just one thing I discovered too late. If you have a Google Chromecast plugged into your TV, and you are getting poor reception from your indoor OTA antenna, try unpowering the Chromecast.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The bad news: first, even though the channel has high (85-95) strength as measured by the H3, once in a while when I tune to it, I get the seeking channel box and it never comes on. Even though the signal strength it is showing is good. Usually if I change channels and come back, it comes on fine. (Not always on fist attempt but often.) This is problematic because I fear if I have the DVR set to record a show on that channel, it may not record because for some undefined reason it's not coming in. Anyone else see this, and any tips to eliminate this problem?
I see the same thing when channel surfing through the local channels on my Wally. This is a known bug. The good news is that I do not have any problem recording the channel with that high of a signal strength, using the exact same type of dual-tuner OTA adapter. So, you should be fine, unless the H3 has some bug that the Wally doesn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)