titanium ASC1 dish positioner

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I been trying to get an USB to Serial adaptor (FTDI chipset) to work. It's not happening either. I can see the port in the device manager and play with the port settings and assign any com port I want. But the Loader program never finds the ASCI. I've tried different drivers and different computers, but still not happening. Fortunately I have a computer with a Serial Com port and can verify the cable and null modem are functioning with the ASC1. But I would like to use my laptop to update other peoples ASC1s when/if needed. I'll be curious to see what Brian comes up with for an adapter.

You are having an issue with your com port. Use the port testing software Brian provided you in the other thread. Set it up EXACTLY as described in the picture and send 45 to the ASC1 using the null modem cable and not the cable that shipped with the unit. If your com port is working it will respond with 303030......indefinitely. As pointed out previously your USB to serial adapter is most likely to blame(I know this because I tried using one before switching over to a PC with a built in serial port). The loader software will automatically configure the com port for you once you have a compatible RS232 adapter. USB to RS232 9 pin adapters are notorious for causing these types of problems.

You are having an issue with your com port. Use the port testing software Brian provided you in the other thread. Set it up EXACTLY as described in the picture and send 45 to the ASC1 using the null modem cable and not the cable that shipped with the unit. If your com port is working it will respond with 303030......indefinitely. As pointed out previously your USB to serial adapter is most likely to blame(I know this because I tried using one before switching over to a PC with a built in serial port). The loader software will automatically configure the com port for you once you have a compatible RS232 adapter. USB to RS232 9 pin adapters are notorious for causing these types of problems.
Yep, did that. No response from the comport with the test program. But then I expected that cause the Loader program didn't work either. I played with the settings but still no go. I'm not going to drive myself crazy with it though ;). I'll wait until working solutions are reported.

The fix will be a working USB to RS232 adapter solution and hoping that will it work across all platforms. Currently collecting samples and will attempt to vet a confirmed unit. Should have it available (hopefully) during the month of January.

One would think that these adapters would be standardized and not so finicky between PCs and programs. It's just a handshake and slinging blocks of data...

TruckRacer, What was the result of the rs232 test?

Yep, did that. No response from the comport with the test program. But then I expected that cause the Loader program didn't work either. I played with the settings but still no go. I'm not going to drive myself crazy with it though ;). I'll wait until working solutions are reported.
Hmmmmm, just like working on cars. If you can't get it to go, walk away and come back later. I picked up the adapter again and went through the process of downloading the drivers from the manufacturer and it works :) Now communicating fine with the ASC1. FYI it's a TeraGrand mod# USB2-VE487-TG USB2.0 to RS232 converter MSRP $10 FTDI chipset

Hello All
I also have a
Tera Grand - Premium High Speed USB 2.0 to Serial RS-232 DB-9 Converter - Supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000, 98, Linux and Mac - with FTDI Chipset .
Item model number: USB2-VE487-TG

Today I uploaded the new .BIN file and no issues.
this adapter worked fine on 2 computers set to port 1.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
Chewie.

My computer has several serial connectors (DB9), need to use port 5. Port 1 was blown out during an electrical storm. The others run my weather station, APRS station, an HF rig, and one spare. Is there a way to configure the updater for com port 5?

My computer has several serial connectors (DB9), need to use port 5. Port 1 was blown out during an electrical storm. The others run my weather station, APRS station, an HF rig, and one spare. Is there a way to configure the updater for com port 5?

Go into Device Manager (assuming you have Windows) and find that port (under PORTS (COM & LPT)), right-click it, go into Properties, click the Port Settings tab, then click the Advanced button, and see if you can re-associate it to Com1. You might have to change the present fried Com1 to a different com first.

Last edited:
That seemed to work. Just never bothered to re-order the ports. It's usually easier to do it in the software that requires the port. Will have to see if it stays after re-booting the unit.
Now will try to load the fimware. :)
-C.

edit:
Updated. Done deal. Now to install & set up!

Last edited:
Using the ASC-1 on the Azbox. The diseqc controls work, but there does not seem to be a way of numbering the satellites in the receiver to match the list in the ASC-1. Is there a work-around... maybe a different software version for the azbox? I always used USALS for controlling the Ku dish motor which works fine.
Will connect the uHD later just to see how that works.
The ASC-1 works great though stand-alone.
...and it's +10 F today! :)

On the ME using Openatv I went into positioner setup to creat a 1.2 position when using a combination of usals and 1.2 on a ku dish. You could change the 1.2 positions there. Hope this helps.

Figured it out.
Downloaded the channel list to the PC using ACC. Edited the list using MAZ. Left tab on the left side under "satellite", right at the bottom each satellite DISEqC n is not entered (right at the bottom of the list). Added the numbers as they are ordered in the ASC-1 satellite file, uploaded the updated channel list to the Ultra, and away we go.
The AzBox channel list has to be altered externally, I have not found a way to do this via the remote, at least in the software I currently have (5402).
Something to do during a snowstorm, without having to go outside! :)
-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts