Titanium Dual LNB Problems :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Had a chance to test today and the findings are as I have previously observed on typical multi-STB installations.

#1 Test: Two STBs set to vertical polarity with switching power supplies connected to the same power strip (no ground on power supply AC/DC transformers). Two 3' coax cables each connected to one STB. Multi-meter voltage test between unloaded coax cables. Ground source is the plate cover screw.

STB 1: Center1 to Braid1 - 13.77Vdc
STB 2: Center2 to Braid2 - 13.81Vdc
Center1 to Center2 - 0Vdc
Center1 to Braid2 - 0Vdc
Center2 to Braid1 - 0Vdc
Center1 to Ground - 27.5Vac
Center2 to Ground - 27.6Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 27.5Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 27.6Vac

#2 Test: Two STBs set to vertical polarity with switching power supplies connected to the same power strip (no ground on power supply AC/DC transformers). Two 3' coax cables each connected to one STB and looping through dual ground block (connected to structure ground). Multi-meter voltage test between unloaded coax cables. Ground source is the plate cover screw.

STB 1: Center1 to Braid1 - 13.77Vdc
STB 2: Center2 to Braid2 - 13.81Vdc
Center1 to Braid2 - 13.77Vdc
Center2 to Braid1 - 13.81Vdc
Center1 to Ground - 0Vac
Center2 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 0Vac

#3 Test: Two STBs set to vertical polarity with switching power supplies. STB 1 remains plugged into same power strip and STB 2 plugged into an extension cord running to an outlet on a different circuit breaker (no ground on power supply AC/DC transformers). Two 3' coax cables each connected to one STB and looping through dual ground block (connected to structure ground). Multi-meter voltage test between unloaded coax cables. Ground source is the plate cover screw.

STB 1: Center1 to Braid1 - 13.76Vdc
STB 2: Center2 to Braid2 - 13.80Vdc
Center1 to Braid2 - 13.76Vdc
Center2 to Braid1 - 13.80Vdc
Center1 to Ground - 0Vac
Center2 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 0Vac

As you see by the above testing, there is only slight change when STB #2 was moved to another circuit breaker, but there is no interaction between the two circuits. This is what I would expect to observe when measuring voltages between two STBs at the coax cables disconnected from a dual LNBF. There would be a slight voltage drop due to the length of coax cables, but no interaction between the STBs

Why is voltage present beween your two coax cables where there shouldn't be. Try starting with the test #1 and #2 as above and observe if there is interaction between the two STBs when plugged into the same power strip without anything else attached. Then compare testing #1/#2 to the results of test #3. We can replace the damaged dual LNBF, but before installing, this voltage issue needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mc6809e
TEST 1

STB 1: Center1 to Braid1 - 14.11Vdc
STB 2: Center2 to Braid2 - 14.43Vdc
Center1 to Braid2 - 14.18Vdc
Center2 to Braid1 - 14.34Vdc
Center1 to Ground - 0Vac
Center2 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 0Vac

TEST 2

Center1 to Ground - 0Vac
Center2 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 0Vac

TEST 3

Center1 to Ground - 0Vac
Center2 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid1 to Ground - 0Vac
Braid2 to Ground - 0Vac

I did my test over and type them down like you did and those are what readings i got. maybe i didnt do the test before right and maybe didnt understand what was going on or what but i did them again and wanted to make sure that my lines and STB are fine and i dont see any problems anymore beside the LNBF being mess up.

The potential problem that I see in the new testing results is that the vertical voltage on STB 2 is high and very close to the polarity switch point (within typical +/- 10%. The LNBF might not switch (or reliably switch) to vertical polarity.

You might find a different LNBF from the batch or a different brand has a higher switch point voltage that might be more compatible to this higher LNBF voltage. Often the line length, switches or other inline components will drop the voltage. I used to have a STB that outputted 14.5Vdc+ and the only way that it would work with LNBFs was to use it with a powered multi-switch.

when everything is hooked up the way i have it all the time the voltage does drop down to about 13.86 DC on the vertical side that is.

Reactions: Titanium
ok buys and girls listen up lol. i solder the little thin wire back to where it was and hooked the lnb back up and its work great. i got both the same stb hook back up and working so idk what happen with the lnb. when i hook my XR-3 meter up to the port 2 the levels are odd. ill post pictures for yous. the first pictures is H transponder and second picture is V transponder.

Attachments

• IMG_0877[1].JPG
    IMG_0877[1].JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0878[1].JPG
    IMG_0878[1].JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 133
Likely the LNBF was exposed to a high voltage surge (lightning or static discharge) if the thin wire connecting the probe to the PCB was found open. This thin wire usually acts as a quick acting fuse and limits the exposure to your system.

Maybe one polarity amplifier was also damaged?

if you say one of the amplifier was damage or thinking that. the lnb has been that way ever sense i bought it. i never acted on it bc it work and didnt think anything of it until now. should i just buy another titanium dual lnb????? please remind you that those pictures are from port 2 not port 1. port 1 works fine and shows normal on the meter. its just port 2 that has the problem has ever sense i have bought it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I suggested that what you observed on the meter could be related to what caused the damage. Some event caused the open "fusible" link wire. This open wire would have disabled one of the polarities. Did this event also damage other components on the LNBF PCB?

To tie this recent testing after the repaired wire to the past testing:

Was the meter connected to the LNBF SOLO or with a STB connected to port 1?

If a STB was connected, was it the STB with the higher or lower voltage output?

Was the STB on a horizontal or vertical polarity?

As was previously suggested, the LNBF could be replaced, but the question remains, is there a system issue that caused this damage and errors? Testing suggested that there is a potential voltage issue with STB voltage level that could prevent polarity switching.

Personally, I would first test by reducing the STB voltage to a more typical output level.

The next step might be to swap the LNBF and see if it works or not. There will be some variance even in the same lot in polarity switch voltages (+/- 10% typical). Maybe this system presented the perfect storm?

when i have the meter hook to the lnbf it is always by itself aka solo never when with a STB connected to it. like i stated before when i bought the lnbf it has done this aka straight out of the box. i never really looked into it bc it work and didnt really think anything of it. so idk what happen from the place it came from to here but i can tell you i took it out of the box attach it to the ring and hook meter to it and beamed the dish in and when peaking the level i noticed the problem i show you in the pictures. i really dont think anything is wrong with my STB and other stuff i use bc all my other lnbf i got from you work good with no problems and meter dose act the way it does with the dual. sorry if im not totally understanding or listening to what is said but im telling you all i know on my end

Your system testing found that the vertical voltage very close to the polarity switch point and within the 10% variance. This could continue to be an ongoing problem with any LNBF.

Both ports were originally reported to be working properly if used one port at a time (one STB connected at a time). The previous comments and testing did not involve the meter. The meter could have been initially used to test. Sorry did not know you had one. The original problem could have been a factory defect, but also could be related to interaction between STBs.

In the meantime, an electrical event took out the fusible link to one polarity probe. Was this an act of nature or ??? This may have caused additional problems.

Now testing indicates that the second port is outputting only horizontal polarity with only one port connected. This is a new problem.

Seems to be a moving target.... I can't force you to send it in...

The offer to test and replace remains on the table from post #25. Titanium Dual LNB Problems :(

Reactions: KE4EST
Your system testing found that the vertical voltage very close to the polarity switch point and within the 10% variance. This could continue to be an ongoing problem with any LNBF.

Both ports were originally reported to be working properly if used one port at a time (one STB connected at a time). The previous comments and testing did not involve the meter. The meter could have been initially used to test. Sorry did not know you had one. The original problem could have been a factory defect, but also could be related to interaction between STBs.

In the meantime, an electrical event took out the fusible link to one polarity probe. Was this an act of nature or ??? This may have caused additional problems.

Now testing indicates that the second port is outputting only horizontal polarity with only one port connected. This is a new problem.

Seems to be a moving target.... I can't force you to send it in...

The offer to test and replace remains on the table from post #25. Titanium Dual LNB Problems :(

I had a problem a year ago where my 2 STB system was doing weird things. After testing several different things, I found that the two receivers of the same manufacturer didn't like each other. I checked to see if both outlets were on different breakers or the same, and I checked to see if the outlets were wired properly, and shared the same ground. They were fine. When I switched out one STB with another, an HDVR3500 and a Linkbox 9000i, the problem went away.

Have you ever ran into an issue where a receiver would not switch to a particilar port on a switch, even though it found the channels on the satellite connected to that port? I had that happen with a Linkbox 9000i, but once I switched ports, it worked fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts