TiVo Begins Pitching Aereo Castaways

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Is a list of (perhaps) 80,000 customers and a URL worth a cool million? TiVo’s about to find out… as they’ve begun emailing Aereo castaways, having closed on various Aereo assetts through bankruptcy proceedings. As you can see above, the targeted pitch is actually pretty compelling. For those who have OTA reception, anyway. At $20/month, with a two year commitment, TiVo is offering the four-tuner Roamio OTA DVR with 500GB hard drive and a TiVo Stream to handle mobile viewing on iOS or Android. Beyond television recording and streaming, TiVo also includes a variety of online apps like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant

zatznotfunny.com

Roamio OTA's now available with product lifetime subscription for $299 total from Tivo. Might entice some former Aereo customers if they can get OTA reception.

https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

Screenshot 2015-05-01 00.42.36.png

Roamio OTA's now available with product lifetime subscription for $299 total from Tivo. Might entice some former Aereo customers if they can get OTA reception.

View attachment 106537
Damnit! I should've waited a while. I bought the base Roamio back in October of 2013 with lifetime service and that was a $700 investment! (They are both the same quality for OTA reception, right?)

View attachment 106537
Actually I looked at that site. It maybe on the TiVo Roamio OTA page, but the one that they are talking about with product lifetime service is the base TiVo Roamio, which works with OTA.

Damnit! I should've waited a while. I bought the base Roamio back in October of 2013 with lifetime service and that was a $700 investment! (They are both the same quality for OTA reception, right?)

It is the Roamio OTA, not the Roamio Basic. The one ordered came last night. I'm about to set it up now.

It could be worse, I just bought 3 Roamio Basics with Lifetime in the last 6-7 weeks. One for my mom, one for my dad and stepmom and one for myself. I ordered one of these Roamio OTA for $299 with lifetime service early Saturday morning, as my dad likes it so much he wanted another one to leave at our Condo in Las Vegas, so he doesn't have to take the one from his home here back and forth. Around $700 I could have saved

TiVo basic with cable card capability can be good if your local cable company has a great deal on a bundle... I have used mine for OTA and cablecard depending on what bargains I can get.

lemme understand this
You bought it 18 MONTHS AGO and you're complaining? Really?
I bought my OTA 6 months ago (the 1st day it came out). I should be the one complaining (although right now its really not being used as I only get 6 OTA stations all the time and every now and then a couple more)

I just said I wish I got it later when this option was out. Geez. You wouldn't be pissing and moaning about what someone says if someone else posted this, just me. A little biased, maybe?

I just said I wish I got it later when this option was out. Geez. You wouldn't be pissing and moaning about what someone says if someone else posted this, just me. A little biased, maybe?

Anybody who complains 18 months after the fact when a "better deal" comes out would get the same response. If we could tell the future well then the powerball wouldnt be as high as it gets every now and then ;)

(portion removed due to flaming).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Iceberg! I see you deleted that thread where I pointed out where you were whining!

Several of your posts were deleted, and a thread as well. I don't know what you are referencing that Iceberg deleted, but several posts here are out of line and were removed.

As KE4EST said, back to the topic of Tivo and enough with with the personal attacks all around.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Slickdeals posted it on the front page, and it went viral. Tivo then killed it really FAST! Maybe it was a test to see if anybody was paying attention. I think Tivo got overwhelmed with the response.

I suspect it'll be back again though, so if people want it, they need to jump on it as soon as they see it live again...

The other 4 or 5 pages of different Roamio OTA offers are still up if you try enough times to get them to come up, but apparently they removed the /TLP4 page with the $299 lifetime offer from their servers today. Nobody at AVS or TCF has been able to get the page to come up since earlier this afternoon

That was a great deal for OTA users only. For me the Roamio basic is better suited so I can switch back and forth cable<>ota at will and still view all the cable recorded stuff. I'm also able to copy all the non flagged stuff to my server and stream from it. This I could never do with any provider including Dish.

This should be a good boost for the Tivo Stream device, add your own antenna and now you have aereo on steroids.

Hey Iceberg! I see you deleted that thread where I pointed out where you were whining!

I saw that thread. It was actually an interesting discussion topic. I'm not entirely sure why you attacked him over it. There was zero "whining" in it.

On topic, is there anything novel about what they're doing, like with Aereo's technology, or did TiVo seemingly just buy the list of former Aereo subscribers to try to sell services to them?

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts