Status
Please reply by conversation.

NOHDjunkie

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 20, 2004
Lacombe La
Will the TIVO HR10-250 work as an OTA DVR?

ie. will it work without being connected to a satellite source?

I may have a chance to get one but only if it's gonna work for OTA alone.

I'm pretty sure I've read in the past that the DVR functionality requires the receiver to be activated.

If no one knows for sure, I suppose I can hook mine up and test it. :)

W/out being activated, the ONLY thing you can use it for, is as an OTA tuner & you can do 30 min pause, but that's it. NO other DVR functions will work w/out D* activating it.

I still have mine activated on my account but not hooked to anything (currently only 2 TV's and 2 HR20's). Since the "lease fee" or "mirror fee" is already applied to the 2nd DVR, there is no additional charge for the Tivo specifically, so in a case such as mine, if I were to choose to use that box, I could hook it up for basic OTA use without the actual SAT1 or SAT2 lines being connected. Updates on the Tivo come via phone (or at least they did the last time I had it hooked up) so no SAT-IN feed necessary for standalone OTA use.

But the key here is that the unit is registered on my account and is paid for with the lease/mirror fee.

I still have mine activated on my account but not hooked to anything (currently only 2 TV's and 2 HR20's). Since the "lease fee" or "mirror fee" is already applied to the 2nd DVR, there is no additional charge for the Tivo specifically, so in a case such as mine, if I were to choose to use that box, I could hook it up for basic OTA use without the actual SAT1 or SAT2 lines being connected. Updates on the Tivo come via phone (or at least they did the last time I had it hooked up) so no SAT-IN feed necessary for standalone OTA use.

But the key here is that the unit is registered on my account and is paid for with the lease/mirror fee.

IF you try this, let me know, reason is, the newer units need to see a Sat signal to complete set up process, I wish they didn't as it would make my HR20 in the 5th wheel much more useful, (no sat signal when not using).

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts