Tivo Skipmode

It works well, but it's only for prime-time shows, and not live when they first air. The whole thing is done manually, by people that watch the show live the first time, and tag beginning and end of commercials. It then somehow gets to Tivo's servers, and propagates to your Tivo recording of that show. Sometimes it vanishes, even if it was there previously, and it takes a reboot to get it back. I think that's some sort of odd Tivo server issue, and can come and go now and again.

How well does it work?
Is there a catch?

No catch. It works about 98% of the time on 20 some OTA and Cable networks. Skipmode icon shows up in the my shows list next to the show a few minutes after the episode is over. The TiVo skipmode team only tags shows on the selected networks between 4pm and Midnight. It doesn’t work on live events or news, unless it’s something special that Tivo makes an exception for, like the Super Bowl or Oscars.

There can be glitches on nights there are weather alerts or something screws up the broadcast so that it doesn’t match the parameters that TiVo has entered in their database. Like last night I have no skipmode for The Voice but everything on CW, FoodNetwork, History and HGTV has it. I haven’t watched The Voice yet, but I bet the local affiliate has some sort of weather or news scroll that caused the skipmode file not to match with the local broadcast.

I love being able to trigger skip with Alexa while in the kitchen when I don’t have the remote handy. One of my TiVo’s, I have upgraded to the new TiVo Gen 4 Hydra OS. That one I have setup with IFTTT so, skipmode is automatically triggered, so no need to push D or channel button on remote or use Alexa. It skips automatically

Reactions: jayn_j
When folks say major networks, they more likely mean selected programs. I haven't seen it on a recorded sports game yet, even one on a major network. In addition, I do see skip enabled on some non-network shows. For example, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee on TBS always has skip enabled.

No catch. It works about 98% of the time on 20 some OTA and Cable networks. Skipmode icon shows up in the my shows list next to the show a few minutes after the episode is over. The TiVo skipmode team only tags shows on the selected networks between 4pm and Midnight. It doesn’t work on live events or news, unless it’s something special that Tivo makes an exception for, like the Super Bowl or Oscars.

There can be glitches on nights there are weather alerts or something screws up the broadcast so that it doesn’t match the parameters that TiVo has entered in their database. Like last night I have no skipmode for The Voice but everything on CW, FoodNetwork, History and HGTV has it. I haven’t watched The Voice yet, but I bet the local affiliate has some sort of weather or news scroll that caused the skipmode file not to match with the local broadcast.

I love being able to trigger skip with Alexa while in the kitchen when I don’t have the remote handy. One of my TiVo’s, I have upgraded to the new TiVo Gen 4 Hydra OS. That one I have setup with IFTTT so, skipmode is automatically triggered, so no need to push D or channel button on remote or use Alexa. It skips automatically
What's IFTTT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)