TiVo vs DN DVR

Lucrat

Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
So I'm a current digital cable (blech) + TiVo user and I'm thinking about moving over to DishNetwork + DVR. I've got a few questions.

I don't really care about having DVR in the other room but I do want dual tuner. I've read on here that the new software update to the 522 allows that? Is that correct? Do you have to use different remotes to control it?

All in all, dual tuner is not that terribly important to me, so I can live with out it (I primarily want the 100hour recording abality so I'll probably get the 510).

I just have a few functionality questions. I read on this forum that the 5xx series doesn't have anything like the TiVo season pass. Is this true?? You can't say "record this show whenever it's on regardless of time or channel"? That to me is the best part about the TiVo. I hope I just misunderstood what I saw.

I belive I saw you can still watch/listen to TV while you're looking through your live tv guide (not the list of recorded programs). Yes?

Do the DN-DVR's has a rating system? With TiVo you can rate programs with thumbs up or thumbs down, after a while the TiVo will start to record suggestions based off your ratings. I'm hoping the DV-DVR's will do the same.

I heard at one point the DN-DVR's didn't pre download the programing data which caused long 'waiting for data from satellite' delays. It is supposedly fixed now with a 7 day programming database. Are there any other little issues like this that I don't know about?

Thanks for being kind to a newbie :)

Lucrat said:
I've read on here that the new software update to the 522 allows that? Is that correct? Do you have to use different remotes to control it?
Not correct. Still need two remotes

Lucrat said:
I read on this forum that the 5xx series doesn't have anything like the TiVo season pass. Is this true?? You can't say "record this show whenever it's on regardless of time or channel"? That to me is the best part about the TiVo. I hope I just misunderstood what I saw.
You read right. No Season Pass. If you tell it to record "The Apprentice" it will record whatever is on NBC at 9PM on Thrusdays forever. Name based recording is supposedly coming this summer.

Lucrat said:
I belive I saw you can still watch/listen to TV while you're looking through your live tv guide (not the list of recorded programs). Yes?.
Yes, both actually.

Lucrat said:
Do the DN-DVR's has a rating system? With TiVo you can rate programs with thumbs up or thumbs down, after a while the TiVo will start to record suggestions based off your ratings. I'm hoping the DV-DVR's will do the same..
Nope, no rating system like Tivo.

Lucrat said:
I heard at one point the DN-DVR's didn't pre download the programing data which caused long 'waiting for data from satellite' delays. It is supposedly fixed now with a 7 day programming database..
It loads at least 7 days, yes.

Lucrat said:
Are there any other little issues like this that I don't know about?
I think you covered it. I guess the main point here is that this is a DVR, not PVR. PVR's are smarter and do more nice things like the Tivo/ReplayTV do. DVR's are pretty straightforward and simple. I hope when they add name-based recording, it becomes more PVR-like.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I wasn't making that disctintion between PVR and DVR.. but you just made up my mind. DirectTV here I come :) No way I can deal with watching TV anymore without the benifits of the PVR.

With the newest software version you can control which Tuner records the shows. In 1.61 you needed two remotes. In 1.62 when you record it asks which tuner you would like to use. Having had a Tivo since the beginning of Tivo, the 522 is not a tivo nor does it in any way resemble a tivo. Like the previous poster said, I set it to record the Simpsons on Sundays and 2 weeks ago something else was on, it still recorded the 1/2 where the Simpsons usually are. This is IMHO the biggest drawback to the 522. If you can get over that, the price is right.

-Frank

fbruno said:
With the newest software version you can control which Tuner records the shows. In 1.61 you needed two remotes. In 1.62 when you record it asks which tuner you would like to use.

To me, that's the best upgrade they've done yet. This will enhance my experience, for sure. The Tivos are very polished devices, as was my old ReplayTV. The main advantage I get from my 522 is that I can stop watching my recorded "Sopranos" in the living room and go finish watching it in the bedroom if I want to. That's good stuff. No one else can do that except Dish customers.

I don't understand why anyone would chose a DVR like this over a TiVo. Basically you've got a oversized/priced VCR.. that's it.

Well two tuners sharing one hard drive is nice.
100 hours of recording time is nice.
Free hardware is nice.
I don't pay a 2nd receiver fee for my 2nd room.
DirecTivo doesn't have a free hardware option like Dish.

There's a few reasons. Yes the Tivo is a superior device in many ways, but it has its limits as well.

You shouldn't make your decision based solely on PVR vs. DVR alone. Go with the provider that has the channels you want at a cost you can live with and DVR/PVR makes it that much better. For my family E* is the only provider with the Superstations, so no matter how much better the DirecTivo is, it could never record a show that is on a channel not carried by DirecTV. In the 5 yrs that I have had Dish PVR/DVR (I have had them all) I can only think of a couple of instances where a show I wanted had moved day/time (some channels are probably worse than others, A&E is is bad and this is the one (MI-5) that failed to record). In most cases it misses a show because it has been preempted. In that case neither Tivo, Replay or Dish will catch it because the guide is wrong. No matter how sophisticated the equipment, it ALWAYS comes down to the guide. Example, if you really like Cold Case all the units will miss part of the show becasue NFL on CBS ran long. The guide does not/cannot reflect a late game. That is why I have added an extra 30 minute buffer on to the end of the Cold Case timer.

Bottom line: Decide based on the programs/channels you and your family want to see.

mjrusso45 said:
Well two tuners sharing one hard drive is nice.
100 hours of recording time is nice.
Free hardware is nice.
I don't pay a 2nd receiver fee for my 2nd room.
DirecTivo doesn't have a free hardware option like Dish.

There's a few reasons. Yes the Tivo is a superior device in many ways, but it has its limits as well.
"Well two tuners sharing one hard drive is nice." That is exactly how a TiVo works. "100 hour of recording time is nice." With Tivo you can upgrade the hard drive even put in a second drive. You can't do that with DISH. "Free hardware is nice." What free hardware the 522 is owned by DISH you are only renting that equipment from them. When you terminate service you must return the equipment to DISH. "I don't pay a 2nd receiver fee for my 2nd room." Disconnect the phone line and you will be billed a $4.99 mirroring fee just like any other receiver. " DirecTiVo dosen't have a free hardware option like Dish." You are right on that because DISH dosen't have any free hardware option you are leasing the equipment.
DirecTiVo unlike DISH works. My 522 even with L162 still has bugs my two DirecTiVos have been working perfectly since installation.

Randy_B said:
You shouldn't make your decision based solely on PVR vs. DVR alone. Go with the provider that has the channels you want at a cost you can live with and DVR/PVR makes it that much better. For my family E* is the only provider with the Superstations, so no matter how much better the DirecTivo is, it could never record a show that is on a channel not carried by DirecTV. In the 5 yrs that I have had Dish PVR/DVR (I have had them all) I can only think of a couple of instances where a show I wanted had moved day/time (some channels are probably worse than others, A&E is is bad and this is the one (MI-5) that failed to record). In most cases it misses a show because it has been preempted. In that case neither Tivo, Replay or Dish will catch it because the guide is wrong. No matter how sophisticated the equipment, it ALWAYS comes down to the guide. Example, if you really like Cold Case all the units will miss part of the show becasue NFL on CBS ran long. The guide does not/cannot reflect a late game. That is why I have added an extra 30 minute buffer on to the end of the Cold Case timer.

Bottom line: Decide based on the programs/channels you and your family want to see.

I watch, on a regular basis, about 10 channels. As long as DTV has those 10 the rest are for when I'm extremley bored and I have nothing in my playlist.

While I can see your point totally, it doesn't apply to me (I don't think. I haven't really disected the DTV channel lineup).

Having suggestions is always fun too because you're never going to know what you get.

To me, the worst part of a Dish DVR is if a show (NBC does it a lot) is extended by 10 minutes, a preset weekly timer will not catch it, but if you set a timer specifically for that event, it will catch it.

If you are used to Tivo, and you like Tivo, you'll feel lost without that functionality with the Dish DVR's.

I'd take a hard look at DirecTV and their DirecTivo. Note that the DirecTivo software is controled by DirecTV and not Tivo. I.E. the latest stand alone Tivo devices have some fairly advanced features that are not available on DirecTivo's. I.e. the Home Media Option.

And recently there have been some quotes from the new soon to be owners of DirecTV of removing some existing functionality on the DirecTivo units, I.e. capability to do 30 second skip, or limit the time a recording can be kept on the device.

I have a Tivo with my Dish receiver (6000) and it work fine. No reason not to keep both. Use the IR blaster from TIVO to change channels on the reciver and use the DISH DVR in another room.

There have been rumors flying around recently that Dish is close to offering name-based recording (which would allow for these "super-sized" shows). Some feel that Dish's deal with TV Guide/Gemstar will aid them in that effort.

There are also rumors that Direct will be taking the 30 second skip function (commercial skip) in the future. Seems Direct's new owner doesn't like viewers skipping their commericial revenue.

One Word: UHF Remotes

So far, the biggest advantage that I have found of the Dish DVR's over any of the TIVOs is Dish's use of UHF remotes.

With the recent Viacom conflict, I truely started to consider going to DirectTV. My two biggest concerns were the $20 per month higher monthly fee for the same programming and the lack of UHF remotes on the DirectTivos. The DishNetwork UHF remotes on DishNetworks DVRs are a godsend if you want to do whole-house video distribution. They broadcast through-out my 2-story, 3200 square foot houst pretty well.

Whan I ask any of my friends with the DTivo or regular TIVO about UHF remotes, just look at me with absolutely no comprehension. I'm so glad that Charlie and Viacom resolved matters, because I did not want to start wiring IR transmitters and receivers all over the place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)