Tivo vs. DTV DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slinky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
I'm about to go High Def.
I'd like to have some input as to the pros and cons in comparing the two units for use with D*

Thank you

As an owner of both an HR10-250 and an HR20-100, I'd say the major drawback of the new receivers is the lack of the dual live buffer. If you've never had that with a Tivo receiver, then you wouldn't know what you're missing.

As an owner of both an HR10-250 and an HR20-100, I'd say the major drawback of the new receivers is the lack of the dual live buffer. If you've never had that with a Tivo receiver, then you wouldn't know what you're missing.

Thank you for your time...
Right now I have a Series II DirecTivo. I don't know what a live buffer is..what is it?

Also, can you differentiate for me the model numbers of the HD DVR's supplied by D* and the Tivo branded ones.

I'm also wondering how the HD tuner would tell the Tivo DVR to record. I have a Replay unit that uses an LED bug. Have we gotten a better interface than that? And in general, Does the Tivo branded machines integrate gracefully with an HD tuner?

Thank you for your time...
Right now I have a Series II DirecTivo. I don't know what a live buffer is..what is it?

Also, can you differentiate for me the model numbers of the HD DVR's supplied by D* and the Tivo branded ones.

I'm also wondering how the HD tuner would tell the Tivo DVR to record. I have a Replay unit that uses an LED bug. Have we gotten a better interface than that? And in general, Does the Tivo branded machines integrate gracefully with an HD tuner?

If you don't get the Directv branded one, then you can't get any of the new HD channels and eventually you won't get any of them.

I do miss the dual live buffers, which is both tuners recording live TV at the same time.

But I can still record 2 live channels simultuneously right?

Yes, you can still record two channels at once, and watch a third from the recorded list. The Dual Live Buffer (DLB) allows you to watch two football games at once (for instance) and pause one show, let it build a little buffer while watching Tuner A, then when Tuner A comes to a commercial, you can pause Tuner A and switch back over to Tuner B and pickup where you left off. Lather, rinse, repeat...

The D* DVR's only buffer the channel you are currently watching, so if you change channels, you lose any buffered material on the last channel and start fresh with the new channel. There are ways around it, but not nearly as easy as the Tivo units were.

If you don't get the Directv branded one, then you can't get any of the new HD channels and eventually you won't get any of them.

I do miss the dual live buffers, which is both tuners recording live TV at the same time.

Of course, the Directv-branded HR10-250 is a Tivo but doesn't get the new channels either.

I didn't really use DLB that much and don't miss it.

Of course, the Directv-branded HR10-250 is a Tivo but doesn't get the new channels either.

Yeah, you knew what I meant though. :D

Yes, you can still record two channels at once, and watch a third from the recorded list. The Dual Live Buffer (DLB) allows you to watch two football games at once (for instance) and pause one show, let it build a little buffer while watching Tuner A, then when Tuner A comes to a commercial, you can pause Tuner A and switch back over to Tuner B and pickup where you left off. Lather, rinse, repeat...

The D* DVR's only buffer the channel you are currently watching, so if you change channels, you lose any buffered material on the last channel and start fresh with the new channel. There are ways around it, but not nearly as easy as the Tivo units were.

Thank you for that concise answer that actually answered the questions that i asked!! Now I'll find the thread that talks about re-booting to an external eSata drive. The supplied drive will be too small.

Is this at all possible with the D* DVR: Can I record two sat. programs and the same time and record an OTA program all at once? My Dish DVR currently allows me to do this and I am thinking of switch to D* because I hear the PQ on HD is better.

No, but you can watch an OTA show if you're doing so through your TV and not the HR20-700 itself. It is limited to its two tuners in use at the same time. You technically cannot be utilizing "three" tuners at once in the way you're implying.

I only used it for NFL Sunday Ticket games. Using that approach, you're still tethered to the TV, as opposed to just recording two shows or events and then watching them later. There are members on DBSTalk who spit bullets if you suggest it's a less-than-essential feature.

I'm fine with the HR20 and find that I prefer it to the HR10.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts