TIVO vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I recall TiVo's stocks tracked this litigation much more so than the E* stocks.

E* stocks seemed to have a lot to do with E*'s own DBS business performance than anything else.

But TiVo's poor business performance has been too obvious for the past two years, over a million and a half sub loss out of what a little over 4 million? But most significantly the latest 2 quarters were the first quarters they began to lose their core sub base.

My above numbers may not be very accurate since I do not track them closely.
Yet remarkably Echostar can say to the courts that TiVo has been doing great!

Anyway, isn't stock talk a no-no here? Seems to me that you been doing more of it than anyone. Perhaps you really do have more in play than just the interest of just a user.

...Anyway, isn't stock talk a no-no here?

I do not recall it is a no-no. Besides Greg and Vampz were talking about it, I only chipped in:)

Seems to me that you been doing more of it than anyone. Perhaps you really do have more in play than just the interest of just a user.

That is the difference between me and many TiVo folks, I do not speculate anyone's motive. Motive is irrelevant to the debate. Believe me none of you so far had guessed right:)

Ask your friends at Echostar, they are the ones that put it in their brief.

And apparently we know at least the appeals court liked the fact E* had made their job easier and checked off on the first one:)

This is a legit quesiton, do the movers often propose the recise lauguage of the orders for the Court to check off? If you read E*'s 6/3 motion, E* never asked for a temp stay, rather a stay pending appeal, why then E* would propose two separate stays, one temporary, one stay the duration? And also formulating some very specific lauguage in those stay orders too for the appeals court to follow.

Just does not make any sense, but then I am no lawyer, a lot of things had happened so far that made no sense.

And apparently we know at least the appeals court liked the fact E* had made their job easier and checked off on the first one:)

This is a legit quesiton, do the movers often propose the recise lauguage of the orders for the Court to check off? If you read E*'s 6/3 motion, E* never asked for a temp stay, rather a stay pending appeal, why then E* would propose two separate stays, one temporary, one stay the duration? And also formulating some very specific lauguage in those stay orders too for the appeals court to follow.

Just does not make any sense, but then I am no lawyer, a lot of things had happened so far that made no sense.
Just go to my site, and download a bunch of motions in this case. Let me know what you find in the last pages of the motions, before any appendices.

vampz26 said:
Here. Google the D* HD tivo, the original. I believe it was the HD HD or HOUR 10-250. Than look for the earliest press releaset where D* announced their now legendary '100 channel' business plan. Now look at that time frame and correllate it with tivos stock price.
Look for the "low" during the announcement about DirecTV moving DVR production in-house? So after DirecTV implemented their in-house DVR's, TiVo was off that low? Sounds like the announcement may have hurt TiVo more than the reality that TiVo can survive without DirecTV.
vampz26 said:
Some of us where here in this forum, or posting in others during that timeframe and remember it. What were you doing?

Anyway, I am curious, what tv service do you sub too? Just so I know where you stand.
Been a member here for quite some time. Been a member of the DBS forums for ten-plus years. Was even a staff member at another board.

DirecTV sub. Ten-plus years.
vampz26 said:
No personal attack at all. Its just that your attempts at forcing every conversation into recognizing strictly 'the letter of the law' are getting a bit tiresome. I'm trying to help you think outside the box a bit.
The name of the thread is TiVo vs. E. I want to stay on subject, which is about the lawsuit.

Just go to my site, and download a bunch of motions in this case. Let me know what you find in the last pages of the motions, before any appendices.

I thought you liked to be more helpful, how about educating us all in layman's term how this works?

We learned you are running a business at your site, and regardless which side we are on, I believe we agree you provide a great service by posting all the filings on your site. Being helpful without putting others down goes a long way to help yourself sell more stuff there, I hope you agree.

An E* sub's money is just as good as a TiVo supporter's money, I would not try to piss off some of the potential customers.

I thought you liked to be more helpful, how about educating us all in layman's term how this works?

We learned you are running a business at your site, and regardless which side we are on, I believe we agree you provide a great service by posting all the filings on your site. Being helpful without putting others down goes a long way to help yourself sell more stuff there, I hope you agree.

An E* sub's money is just as good as a TiVo supporter's money, I would not try to piss off some of the potential customers.
I seriously am not trying to avoid being helpful. I get my greatest joy in life by being helpful. But, I'm not an attorney, so it would be far beyond my abilities to explain how this all works. I honestly think, though, you should have a look at some of the documents yourself. There is nothing like seeing the process to be able to understand it. And... it is hardly a business, more of a hobby, just like the web page itself.

Look for the "low" during the announcement about DirecTV moving DVR production in-house? So after DirecTV implemented their in-house DVR's, TiVo was off that low? Sounds like the announcement may have hurt TiVo more than the reality that TiVo can survive without DirecTV.Been a member here for quite some time. Been a member of the DBS forums for ten-plus years. Was even a staff member at another board.

DirecTV sub. Ten-plus years.The name of the thread is TiVo vs. E. I want to stay on subject, which is about the lawsuit.

That's lovely, greg. Than you should also remember that after being punted by D*, tivo didn't see another stock boost until comcast shown them pity and signed with them. Tivo could survive without D*, but couldn't survive without a tv provider supporting them in their STBs. They were never that strong of a company.

And yes, the thread is about the lawsuit and all facets thereof. Not just for the repetion of legal rhetoric getting ad nauseum in attempt to stifle other more relevant conversation.

I seriously am not trying to avoid being helpful. I get my greatest joy in life by being helpful. But, I'm not an attorney, so it would be far beyond my abilities to explain how this all works. I honestly think, though, you should have a look at some of the documents yourself. There is nothing like seeing the process to be able to understand it. And... it is hardly a business, more of a hobby, just like the web page itself.

Don't underestimate your abilities, you have done a great job so far explaining a few legal issues to us. Both Rocky and I thanked you for that.

Thank you again for clarifying too, when CuriousMark made a big deal of you being unfairly treated by me for not linking your site, only a direct link to one of your files, he made a point of how your business could be harmed for me doing so. He also made a big impression on a lot of people that you badly needed the money. Thank you for pointing out it was just a big misunderstanding.

I will read some more and return with my learning experience. But please don't be wary of my motivation. I am not wary of what people think of me or what their motivation, I have no control of what you think of me or what is your motivation, so I do not waste my time be wary of them.

Did I mention I do appreciate the help you provide?

Yet remarkably Echostar can say to the courts that TiVo has been doing great!

Anyway, isn't stock talk a no-no here? Seems to me that you been doing more of it than anyone. Perhaps you really do have more in play than just the interest of just a user.

Uh, no. No rules that say you can't talk about stock prices as they relate to the topic.

Along the same lines, for someone who has dedicated a lot of time and I am guessing money, in building a resource library on the case, the same question applies to you: perhaps you have more in play than just the interest of a user? Inquiring minds want to know. It would help explain why so passionate about this case.

And for the record, (which I have actually said before) I don't own a single piece of Echostar stock; nor tivo; nor do I intend to.

...have more in play than just the interest of a user? ...

I did not respond to his such question because someone already pointed out I was a DirecTV user, I then corrected him, I am an ATT Uverse user for now while my DirecTV account is in suspension. I wanted to try Uverse before deciding if I will resume my DirecTV service or not. I also have stated before I have no real interest in how the E* or TiVo stocks perform, not that I will never discuss them.

That is why I do not try to guess people's motives:) It is a waste of time and it should not matter anyway.

Uh, no. No rules that say you can't talk about stock prices as they relate to the topic.

Along the same lines, for someone who has dedicated a lot of time and I am guessing money, in building a resource library on the case, the same question applies to you: perhaps you have more in play than just the interest of a user? Inquiring minds want to know. It would help explain why so passionate about this case.

And for the record, (which I have actually said before) I don't own a single piece of Echostar stock; nor tivo; nor do I intend to.
I've never made a secret of the fact that I am a TiVo investor. (albeit a rather unsuccessful one due to charlies unusual approach to business, and my inability to predict and time his moves). I put the library together originally for personal reference, but realized it would be a good resource for individuals of many interests, and decided to share it.

I've never made a secret of the fact that I am a TiVo investor. (albeit a rather unsuccessful one due to charlies unusual approach to business, and my inability to predict and time his moves). I put the library together originally for personal reference, but realized it would be a good resource for individuals of many interests, and decided to share it.

Fair enough.

I am not convinced of the argument that the reason TiVo hasn't done well is due to its not getting a piece of Dish Network subs. Seems to me that the $12.95 per month charge to use the DVR could be a greater reason? I know it kept me away from TiVo long before I had a Dish DVR (then called a PVR).

And never underestimate Charlie Ergen. I've met the man, and he is a shrewd entrepreneur. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)