TNT HD Question on PQ & Blackouts

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
First of all. Is it me or does basketball on TNT HD look like 360P :shocked
Is it really HD or do they use SD camera's and convert to HD?
I remember during the Olympics on NBC, basketball looked 10 times better than the crap I saw on Tuesday night.

Also, I don't remember how TNT works. I'm in South Florida, will I see the Miami game tonight on TNT or will it be blacked out and shown on our local station?

dnyce said:
They take whatever they can get and broadcast it as widescreen and HD. In the case of basketball games, I think they are at the mercy of whoever is providing the cameras. It probably isn't TNT. That game was obviously in SD, so they stretched and converted it. Hopefully, some of the games will be in true HD.

Dnyce - I'm in Miami as well and wondering the same thing! I really hope it is not blacked out as we already had to suffer with ESPN's SD broadcast last night.

dnyce said:
I remember during the Olympics on NBC, basketball looked 10 times better than the crap I saw on Tuesday night.
The 1st Tuesday game (Rocket vs. Pistons) started HD/1080i but then they switched to upconverted SD/480i, apparently due to technical difficulties. It stayed that way for most of the game, and then during the 4th quarter it switched back to 1080i. The 2nd game (Lakers vs. Nuggets) was shwon completely in HD/1080i. Also, the pre-season games last week were HD/1080i all the time, without any technical difficulties.
Perhaps, your observations were during that period of technical difficulties. try tonight again.

Most of the games TNT will do will be national games with no local coverage (like tonights for example) so when that's the case, there will be no blackout