To All VOOM Subscribers & Guests

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
To Everyone: Some threads may include explicit/implicit language as well as graphic pictures that may not be suitable for everyone.

To All VOOM Subscribers:

It is imperative that we provide VOOM with positive or negative feedback. VOOM is reading all the posts related to them at the different forums. If we want to complaint, make your voice heard by posting your comments. Maybe you had a great installation or an installation nightmare or maybe you are dissastified with the service. Whatever it is we cannot let VOOM fall asleep on the wheel like Cablevision was for years.

If we want VOOM to be the HD leader, we must let them know that they need to provide all the HD channels currently available. DirectTv and DishNetwork have fallen asleep so many times and we cannot let VOOM do the same.

I encourage you to be as objective as possible in your posts. I have no special interest in VOOM or any other service for that matter. My loyalty will go with whomever can provide me with the most HD channels and the best service. Let's keep that in mind and let nothing else cloud our minds.

To All our Guests:

Please take a few seconds and register. This way we can have formal discussion and know that you are or not a VOOM user. Also, it will let the E* and D* community know that Voom has real users and we can take your comments for real. Thanks.

Effective on Wednesday December 3rd we will be requiring registration to post on this Forum. For more details read HERE

After registering see this thread ----> Here

I can vouch for the fact that CableVision / VOOM spends A LOT of time here.

VOOM may have had a lot of start up bugs, but in reading here (and the yahoo group) I can say that VOOM is working hard to give you what you want.

(Hell I don't think Wilt sleeps) :D

Sean is doing a GREAT job as the moderator of our VOOM area and is here to help you out and answer your VOOM questions. The great thing about Sean is if he does not know an answer he will work his butt off to find and answer for you.

SatelliteGuys.US is proud to host the Internet's Largest VOOM forum!

The Future is in High Definition!

Wish List

Well my Voom isn't scheduled to be installed till friday, and I am hoping it is on time and painless. But here is my wish list anyway

HBO, all channels , east and west feeds
MSNBC
The Science Channel (Discovery Science)
All three major networks + Fox, east coast feed in HDTV where possible
(I can dream anyway...LOL)

also for all early adopters, special attention and upgrades when all the bugs are worked out, we're taking the plunge for them, hopefully they will not forget us down the line

Do all this and I will happily turn off my C-Band dish...as it is the only way to get networks for me now

Scott;

CableVision is a company in Bermuda

Cablevision is a company in Long Island, NY and owns VOOM

The difference - the lower case v

My Experience With VOOM & Opinion of VOOM

I dropped "E" and switched over to VOOM on 11/26. I purchased two receivers. One of the receivers has the correct mapping for most of my local channels but the second receiver does not. The installer did not know how to correct the problem. The second receiver is being replaced next week. The installer used the existing dish and cabling. I am using my existing antenna instead of the Stealth antenna. The installation was quick and painless.

What I like about VOOM: :

* Lots of HDTV to watch. Especially movies.

What I dislike about VOOM:

* Movies are not being shown in their original aspect ratio (OAR). This issue really bothers me. I hope VOOM stops this practice.

* Local mapping problems. I can't wait until they provide us with an auto scan function.

* All of the minor bugs already mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

a poll on avs forum

voom should see who their market is,small vots but telling--it's the high end consumer who wants the HDTV majors

VOOM Market--Voom should know
Upper end HDTV 20 47.62%
Major HDTV(hbo espn INHD SHOW) 18 42.86%
Vooms HDTV (cinema 10 etc) 2 4.76%
SD -Cnn,msnbc c-span etc and some HDTV 1 2.38%
just good quality pq and some of both 1 2.38%
Total: 42 votes 100%

Re: My Experience With VOOM & Opinion of VOOM

RAJH said:
What I like about VOOM: :

* Lots of HDTV to watch. Especially movies.

What I dislike about VOOM:

* Movies are not being shown in their original aspect ratio (OAR). This issue really bothers me. I hope VOOM stops this practice.

* Local mapping problems. I can't wait until they provide us with an auto scan function.

* All of the minor bugs already mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

I would switch from E* IF:
1. HD DVR available
2. All available HD is really on Voom soon
3. Can scan \ manually add OTA channels. I am getting a rotor to increase channels. I want CONTROL of the OTA choices.

tahoerob,

Even with all of VOOM's problems I would never go back to E* as long as VOOM is available. E* doesn't compare to VOOM when it comes to HDTV offerings. The picture quality of VOOM also appears to be a little better than E*.

I'd like to get Voom but altering the aspect ratio of the HD films puts a sour taste in my mouth.

VOOM/HDDVR

Hello Sean,

I am a Directv customer & like to pass this post to the big wigs at VOOM.
Perhaps you can also help in hopefully in the interests of all us VOOM
subscribers.

Here's the deal....I have Directv & I was thinking of getting Dish Network,because of the new HDDVR that is being released that can record Higf Definition content.
According to Directv they have a HDDVR coming out in the first 1/4 of 2004.

DISH NETWORK & DIRECTV ONLY HAVE 6 or 7 HD CHANNELS

The advantage of the Dish network High Definition hard drive recorder is that you can record the High Definition channels (up to 25 hrs. in HD) & in the near future according to dish is to dump that content (when the hard drive gets full)to a High Definition storage device like JVC HM-DH30000 or 40000 High Definition VCR via the dishwire ports(firewire) tfo from the 921 to the JVC units.

HERE IS WHERE VOOM WILL HAVE AN ADVANTAGE:

Come out with the High Definiton DVR like Dish with the firewire ports ,so if customers want to archive the footage if the Hard Drive gets full they can dump it & archive for their own High Definition Library

VOOM HAS MORE HD CHANNELS THEN ANYONE:

I would leave Directv & not bother with the New Dish Network 921 DVR,if VOOM comes out with one,but I like to archive to a DVHS High Definition VCR.

VOOM HAS BETTER PRICES.BETTER VALUE

I'm paying nearly $70.00 a month just to get 6 hDTV Channels.
With Directv you need to have a base package such as total choice
about $34.00 for the least expensive package, then you have to pay $10.99 for 4 HD cahnnels such as ESPN,Discovery,HDNET,HDNET Movies,& if you want 2 more HD channels like HBO & Showtime, you have to pay a additional $11.00 or $12.00 for the package to get one HD channel each.

So the whole thing boils down to a total of 6 HD channels for $70.00

Now remember I'm just on the free trial right now & I'm hoping that
this new HDDVR that VOOM is saying they have plans for will be out soon ,but hopefully with the fire wire ports so if the hard drive gets full that customer can archive their own personal library if they choose.

LIKE TO GET OTHER VOOM SUBSCRIBERS TO PASS THIS ALONG TO VOOM FOR THIS HDDVR WITH FIREWIRE PORTS IF THEY WANT TO GET INTO IT LIKE I DO.
IF THEY HEAR ABOUT OTHER CUSTOMERS LIKE MYSELF THAT WOULD LIKE THAT OPTION THEN THEY WILL BENEFIT WITH MORE CUSTOMERS SIGNING UP.

So Sean if you can pass this along to VOOM & they see this post as well as other VOOM subscibers with the same interest(hopefully) VOOM will surpass the other Sat companies.

Larry,

I think I read that there will be an upgrade to the current STB (DSR-550) with firewire in the near future before the DVR. So, I am assuming the DVR will also have firewire.

hello Sean
Who is Charles Dolan?
Is he with VOOM?

I wouldn"t mind being a Beta Tester for
the updated VOOM box.

Can you pass this on to VOOM?
Thanks

larryhdtv said:
hello Sean
Who is Charles Dolan?
Is he with VOOM?

I wouldn"t mind being a Beta Tester for
the updated VOOM box.

Can you pass this on to VOOM?
Thanks

Charles Dolan is the owner. See http://www.cablevision.com/index.jhtml?pageType=charles_dolan

I do not think they will be taking application for beta testers. I believe they like to do it from the inside rather than outside. If I hear something, I will post.

Hello VOOM, I would buy your service if I could get a cheaper HD only package, I do not, nor do I care to watch SD programming anymore.

DarrellP said:
Hello VOOM, I would buy your service if I could get a cheaper HD only package, I do not, nor do I care to watch SD programming anymore.

DarrellP,

I do not think you are alone in this and eventually the initial fee will have to be drop in order to compete with E* or D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)