Status
Please reply by conversation.

shankle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
florida
Having a little trouble with the board and sent you
a private message. Can not read your post as an ad is plastered over it and the puter hangs right there.
They are working on it I hope.

Ever since the downgrade to this new forum look, adds have been popping up making it impossible to read or access portions of the screen for me too. My workaround is to just turn off javascript when using this forum. The adds don't pop up then, and the load time for pages improves by a factor of 4 or more too. Only problem is that some of the fancy message features won't work, but when they are really needed, I can turn javascript on temporarily.

Hi BJ,
This message is coming to you with the horrible internet explorer.

My problem as Scott said was vButtetin not recognizing the K-Meleon browser. Pity.

I will in the future only use Internet Exoplorer to access this site.
So my problem is sort of solved.

Hi BJ,
This message is coming to you with the horrible internet explorer.

I refuse to use IE, except for accessing our town's Hughesnet account, which won't work at all unless you use IE for some reason. I generally use SeaMonkey, or sometimes Firefox. They have a nice little pref-bar add on that allows you to quickly enable or disable things like images, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, Flash, and even allows you to fake the use of IE, which sometimes works for sites that insist on IE, but usually not.

I haven't used I.E. since Firefox was released. Since google released Chrome, it's been used here regularly. K-Meleon browser, based on the Mozilla engine. Popular ? yes, but not as popular as FF. If a site doesn't work in chrome or FF, you won't see my IP there. I may send them an email asking them to fix their site though.

Firefox all the way :)
well I do use IE when I need to respond to a post regarding the Directv site that I need to look up (like pricing) since on FF I have an account set up so the pricing and stuff is different since I am a D* sub.

> Firefox all the way

Throw that antique away and use Chrome. Its 2010 after all.

I still have some trouble with some sites with Chrome, it is the fastest browser out there that I have used but cant use it all the time due to issues with some sites.

I generally use SeaMonkey, or sometimes Firefox. They have a nice little pref-bar add on that allows you to quickly enable or disable things like images, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, Flash, and even allows you to fake the use of IE, which sometimes works for sites that insist on IE, but usually not.

B.J. - - - thanks for the tip on SeaMonkey - - - I had never heard of that one - - - I downloaded version 2.0.9 and just started to play with it.

B.J. - - - thanks for the tip on SeaMonkey - - - I had never heard of that one - - - I downloaded version 2.0.9 and just started to play with it.
Although I dont blame you guys for using such things please use it wisely.

If we can't pay our bills I may be forced to turn on the option to detect add blockers / non use of Javascript which will then show those folks only the first post of a thread. ;)

I don't want to do that but the bills need to get paid we keep growing and growing, since we did the software update traffic has picked up by almost 20%. :)

Also please remember that if you want to get rid of the ads without loading a bunch of programs to rid them you can become a supporting pub member for only $20 a year. All money goes into the site to pay the bills... in addition to that it looks like we will soon need to buy a third server. Traffic to the site is getting nuts. :)

I like you guys don't like ads, but they are a necessary evil here.

Since the upgrade here most of the javascript is actually being served from Yahoo... so if you see any slowdown there please let me know.

Although I dont blame you guys for using such things please use it wisely.

If we can't pay our bills I may be forced to turn on the option to detect add blockers / non use of Javascript which will then show those folks only the first post of a thread. ;)

Scott, I understand completely! I'm in the computer field and just thought it funny that here was a browser with so many good features that I had never heard of. I use IE at work because I have to. I use FireFox at home but now I'm starting to play with this SeaMonkey browser.

I'm glad to here traffic has picked up 20% - - - that is great news! I know you put a lot of hard work, time and money into this site and we all appreciate it. We also know that a site like this cannot be run for free. We are behind you and will help in any way we can!

I started out using Netscape, then switched into Mozilla, which I think was sort of the development version of Netscape (may be wrong on that), but then Mozilla seemed to then morph into both SeaMonkey and Firefox. SeaMonkey is bigger, and includes an HTML composer and communications module, while Firefox is smaller, and seems to just be the browser, although it seems to be faster. The Prefbar I mentioned is an interface customization add-on available for both at addons.mozilla.org .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)