To purchase or lease HR21?? Also a question on Protection Plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I will be returning to D* shortly after spending 18 months with E*.

I want two of the HD DVR's. D* says that I will receive $100 off of the first one but will have to pay $199 to lease the second one.

My question is that I see numerous HR21's on Ebay that can be purchased new from $175 to $225. Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase one rather than lease it from D*??

What is the general consensus out there on taking the Protection Plan. Is it worth the $5.99 per mo or is it just a waste?? Your opinions are valued. Thanks.

Its still a lease even if stated that it is not off of E-bay. Be very cautious with buying one unless it is from a reputable dealer (which by the way is also still a lease)
It is possible you can get them to give you a better deal through D* directly.
I have the protection plan, and used it once to get repeaked when the new HD channels came online. For me it is worth it, it may not be to others

The ones your looking at on E-Bay are also on a lease. To really buy one you would pay about $500.00 for one. All HR20 and HR21 are leased.
As far as the protection plan I can't see paying for it, a waste of money, I'll gladly pay the $20.00 shiping charge to have one replaced if it dies.

The ones your looking at on E-Bay are also on a lease. To really buy one you would pay about $500.00 for one. All HR20 and HR21 are leased.
As far as the protection plan I can't see paying for it, a waste of money, I'll gladly pay the $20.00 shiping charge to have one replaced if it dies.
If shipping were the only thing, I would agree. The service call to repeak my dish would have been substantial had I not been enrolled though. Chances are I wont use it again for some time, so it may be a wash, but it is peace of mind

I had it and dropped it. I had to pay a $10 cancelation fee. There are some perks like dish alignment and stuff but if a receiver ever dies, they are all leased. Wouldn't DTV have to replace it for you at no cost (not including shipping of course)? I mean why would I pay for something that doesn't work?

I had it and dropped it. I had to pay a $10 cancelation fee. There are some perks like dish alignment and stuff but if a receiver ever dies, they are all leased. Wouldn't DTV have to replace it for you at no cost (not including shipping of course)? I mean why would I pay for something that doesn't work?

That's right, the plan is for the dish, wiring, switches,remotes, etc. If you do need a new box shipping is free and no new commitment like you get without the plan. Some people like the peace of mind others don't care. To each his own. BTW there is no cancellation fee if you keep it more than 30 days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)