To Switch to E*, or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbetts

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Just got the H20 and AT-9 about two months ago. I've been disappointed with the PQ. Don't know if I should switch to E* or hope D* gets their act together. I've read a lot of people complaining about E* too, although not so much about PQ. I would be curious to hear from those who have experience with both providers.

I have had DirecTV non-stop since 1996 and had Dish Network for the last 2 years side-by-side (ending 12/2005) not enough better from one to the other.

Dish has Voom.

DirecTV has NFL and a better plan for the future.

They are 95% the exact same . Just go see a Dish Network with your own eyes and then decide whats best for YOU.

Thanks for the input. NFL isn't that big of an issue for me because I get to see my team on the local channels in HD. I've read some about D* future plans and the possibility of NatGeoHD coming soon. Not sure what E* has planned, if anything. The last time I saw E*(my father-in-law has it), it did look sharper than my D*. I just hope D*'s plans start kicking in soon. Otherwise, I'm headed to E*.

charper1 said:
I have had DirecTV non-stop since 1996 and had Dish Network for the last 2 years side-by-side (ending 12/2005) not enough better from one to the other.

Dish has Voom.

DirecTV has NFL and a better plan for the future.

They are 95% the exact same . Just go see a Dish Network with your own eyes and then decide whats best for YOU.
If you call a 499 LEASE fee(for hd dvr) and a 25 dollar fee for recent HD movies a plan

dragon002 said:
juan,

i do believe dish has a lease and fees on its hd-dvr also.

To lease their Dish's new HD MPEG4 DVR for existing HD DVR subscribers a $299 Lease fee applies .... with a $200 Rebate efffective April 1st.

If your main concern is HD PQ, than by all means I would switch to E*..

Dont expect their customer service or their equipment to be any better than D*'s though..The only thing that will be better is the PQ, both SD and HD..

Customer service will still be horrible, just like D*or pretty much any cable company..

I have had both providers, and they are definately not 95% the same when it comes to PQ..

When one is downrezzing and sending out low bit rates ,and the other isnt, (other than Voom), it is impossible for them to be 95% the same..

That is a physical impossiblility, and it really shouldnt take a rocket scientist to understand this...

Last edited:
guffy1, I agree there is no comparision Dish PQ is far superior to Directv. As far as hardware I have always thought that Directv's equipment was superior, more user friendly and much faster but this 622 is on par or better than any Directv equipment that I have ever seen.

Turd Fergeson said:
guffy1, I agree there is no comparision Dish PQ is far superior to Directv. As far as hardware I have always thought that Directv's equipment was superior, more user friendly and much faster but this 622 is on par or better than any Directv equipment that I have ever seen.

Its just plain ol common sense...Higher bit rate and higher resolution equals better PQ..

It cant be be rationally disputed... But its up to to the OP to make his own decision..Most likely hes going to believe the member with 1000+ posts... And that is a real shame...

Doesn't D* have much more satellite capacity than E*? Why is that E* is less compressed? Dish is also ading a lot of HD local channels recently. Do you guys think that the crappy D* picture will continue for a long time or will improve dramatically during 2006?

slimoli said:
Doesn't D* have much more satellite capacity than E*? Why is that E* is less compressed? Dish is also ading a lot of HD local channels recently. Do you guys think that the crappy D* picture will continue for a long time or will improve dramatically during 2006?

D* does have more satellite capacity then E*, as far as I know..

The problem is D* is using all their capacity right now for HD LIL only.. The HD Nats are still on the old satellites which are way past the capacity that would allow them to provide true HD..

Even with all that capacity on the new HD LIL satts, there is still some question as to whether or not D* is providing True HD for their HD LIL..

My opinion is that they will never provide true HD, becasue they know most people just simply dont care, or even if they do care they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem...

i disagree with you, once them new satellites are up, directv's hd is going to blow everyone away but its when the new satellites are up which is going to take some time.

austen0316 said:
i disagree with you, once them new satellites are up, directv's hd is going to blow everyone away but its when the new satellites are up which is going to take some time.

There are new satellites up now, and the reports of PQ have not looked very convincing to me...

There defenitely arent any reports of PQ on the new satts blowing anything away..

We will see though...I have heard that once the MPEG-4 DVR is released information will be avialable about resolution and bit rates on the HDLIL satts..

Here is my point of veiw on the new things that are coming..... There are always new things coming. My bill will be basicly the same no matter which company I go with. So the decision comes down to 2 questions who has the best quality and who has the most channels. Today.... right now ..... dish wins on both questions. I have both services but if I only had Dish Network and Directv became the better service I would swap. Somebody is going to say what about the upfront charges for eqipment. They are $299 and $399 after rebate for the HD DVR's well that is between $100 to $200 a year extra averaged out to ensure that I have the best and most HD available. If you are not willing to spend the money then make an educated choice and roll with it. But if you are willing, Today the best choice to me is Dishnetwork hands down.

The thing is Guf...and nice to hear from you again by the way, is that you love the numbers. Fact is that a buddy of mine has the same projector as I do. He is a local NFL fan and I am not so I have D* mostly for STbut that said. I was expecting from all the posts that his pic would be better. I even told him a while back that from what I read that was the case. We can not see the difference. You love the numbers but, if you can not see the difference who cares what the numbers are. I know your gonna respond with the your blind statement that you always have when someone says they can't see the difference. Just like you do when we tell you that out OTA pic is the same as our National feed. "But the numbers say...blah, blah, blah.

I had D from 95 to 2003 and I loved it. I got married and moved to another town where E offered my locals and D did not at the time. I switched to E and got the 811, I did not like the,pq of the 811 but recently upqraded to the 211 and the pq is great and I am very please with E now. Sd and hd is great with the 211.

guffy1 said:
Its just plain ol common sense...Higher bit rate and higher resolution equals better PQ...

It cant be be rationally disputed... ...

Nonsense, get far enough away from the screen :)rolleyes: ) or own a panel that is not capable of displaying any better than it was with the lower resolution. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)