to tivo/dvr or not to tivo/dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joaguilar33

Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
hello everybody,

i am new to this forum and truly glad i found it. all threads and forums are very informative, which brings me to my dilemma. I am looking into possibly getting a tivo/dvr for my home entertainment system. I am a current subscriber to D* and enjoy their service. I know that they offer a dvr and hd dvr, but my worry is how long will the box work for since they are switching over to m4 over the next few months. secondly, if i go the route of tivo, i have also read that d* is not going with them anymore, so again, how long will the tivo work with d*? pay all that money for a box that will go absolute in a few months? not sure if that is the best route to go. and let's say i go the route of d* with their service. is it worth it since they are making the switch? will the dvr pick up the ota channels i get with my antenna? i pose all these questions to everyone here. thanks to all in advance.

Directv will continue selling TiVo's along with their own DVR through 2007, and even after they stop distributing it they are still going to support it..so i guess the answer to your question is that as long as you have a Directivo it will work with Directv.

Well, I have two TiVos and just ordered a third. Is DirecTV's new one better? Who knows? Just like I won't buy a new car the first model year, I won't switch to another DVR until they've had a chance to work out the "bugs" and it has a track record and even then I'd only go for it as my current ones die. I don't know how many subscribers have TiVos (millions?), but can't imagine DirecTV doing anything to risk losing that many customers. As somebody else pointed out, as long as there are people with TiVos, they're going to work with DirecTV. Unless you're one of those people who has to have the newest, only because it is the newest, go for the TiVo you won't be sorry.

With the current rebates, my R15 will be free. So, for a 1st release, year one product, my exposure is minimal. If I hate it, I'll chalk it up to experience and try to find an R10 (or better yet a Series 2, at least they are hackable).

So far I like the R15 just fine. Sure, there are areas for improvement, but then I was never a huge fan of the DTiVo (my original DVR was UTV.) The DTiVo works just fine as well, but it's not the future - at least not for DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)