Today I pulled the trigger

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
After having Voom for awhile, Today I pulled the trigger. I had reduced d* to begin with ,while investigating their intentions. And considering the HD channels they may add. I even watched the 7s launch on the net. And then the clincher, their rep came on with a speech, Hartman or something like that, and I got so sick of hearing about expanding locals and national feeds that i could puke. The rep just called me, I am officially gone.

The D* feeding tube is cut and I will consider them again when they have 30+ HD channels that I can actually get probably in a couple of years and a box that i can rent. But by that time voom will be over 60 channels is my guess if they survive.

Hope you got out with paying a penalty. DirecTV may indeed get my business, but they must get going in adding HD channels. Lowering the equipment costs would also be nice. Anyway, glad you're happy being a full-time Voomer.

the penalty is 12 dollars a month for each month of the contract you dont use. I told them last month I was considering cancelling. I think the cost for me is about 48 bucks. about the cost of a month of service. Theres also no way I am buying another box just to watch the technology improve and your purchase become outdated.

Congratulations, vurbano. I still have the Dish HD Pack umbilical cord, I just can't go without HDNET.

did you hear that D* is going to waste bandwidth providing HD local in local? Think about that one for a while!

I dumped Directv as well when I got Voom. But I am keeping the hd receiver and dish in place just in case they someday challenge and pull ahead for the hd leadership. Then it is a simple matter to just reactivate the service.

Shelly

I Can't Leave D* Until V* Gets HDNET & HDNET Movies. I Know V* Won't Get HDNET But I Can Always Dream. If You Go To www.hd.net And Go To The Link For "Where to Watch"
You Will See Every Provider But Cablevision & Voom Are Getting HDNET

DarellP,
I was going to do the same thing - to keep Dish HD pack just because HDNet. Will they let me do that? Don't see why not.

Yep, I pulled the plug on D* 6 weeks after I got V* installed. The dish and Sat reciever are still in place just in case...but I'm not holding my breath for empty promises.

Vurbano.......I believe Charlie's intention is for congress to pass a law allowing
DBS providers(like Dish Network) to broadcast HD feeds of "Distant network channels"
to customers unable to recieve acceptable OTA reception. That means HD feeds of
the major networks New york/Los Angeles feed......similar to what they currently have with CBShd on 61.5........but more people would qualify.

The problem is: "Those of us who get locals, but not in HD." I like the idea of carrying locals for NY and LA, but only if legislation allows for many more people to get them. Otherwise, it's a waste of bandwidth to do local into local.

Good job Vurbano... I cancelled D* today officially and my final bill will be less than $20.00 !!

wbuffetta said:
I Can't Leave D* Until V* Gets HDNET & HDNET Movies. I Know V* Won't Get HDNET But I Can Always Dream. If You Go To www.hd.net And Go To The Link For "Where to Watch"
You Will See Every Provider But Cablevision & Voom Are Getting HDNET
Voom has 12 channels of hdnetmovies

briani said:
Vurbano.......I believe Charlie's intention is for congress to pass a law allowing
DBS providers(like Dish Network) to broadcast HD feeds of "Distant network channels"
to customers unable to recieve acceptable OTA reception. That means HD feeds of
the major networks New york/Los Angeles feed......similar to what they currently have with CBShd on 61.5........but more people would qualify.
I thought the same thiing until i read the transcript of the conference call. He says HD locals! those are not network hd feeds

yes and its a huge waste of bandwidth in the eyes of anyone that gets ota. Think for a minute of how much bandwidth just one HD channel takes. then think of the hundreds of local cbs feeds, nbcfeeds etc.

FOXHD is going to be like cbshd offered in O&O's but local HD is something totally different.

1) D*TV's plans for the next 12-24 months include a migration to HD LOCAL stations (rather than analog), first in the top 30 markets in 2005, then more with the 2006 new sat.

2) D*TV plans to grow HDTV in 2004 after the new locals on 7S are all turned on. Their 8S (2Q 2005) and 9S (2Q 2006) sats will allow D*TV to expand their HDTV channel offerings to "well beyond what anyone else will have to offer", according to Eddy Hartenstein (CEO). He also stated that "unlike some other content providers, we will add quality content, not just HD for the sake of saying something is in HD. We will be the HD leader for many years to come." He added that "the timing of HDTV channel offering expansion beginning in July-Nov 2004, along with much more in 2005, ties into the anticipated new content that will become available".

3) FOX HD will be the first new offering, both for national feeds "much like we did CBS", as well as for their 6 weekly NFL Ticket games starting in September. In addition, "other channels will be rolled out between July 1 and the end of the year".

4) The added 460,000 new NET subscribers in 1Q 2004

With the successful launch of the new 7S sat today (which allows to load up new and existing locals onto it, and open up bandwidth for HD on their other sats), the 2Q 2005 8S, and the 2006 9S sat, Hartenstein stated that "we'll have more bandwidth than anyone can even think of using".

can you imagine how much bandwidth item #1 would require?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)