Anyone else notice voom pulled ia press release ?

zombie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
There was a press release (from Jan 06, 2005) on voom's site about all the new channels coming this spring. This seems to have been removed today or last night.

There was another one about some genre specific channels as well that is still there..

Any of the satguys have any info on this?

Just in case they try to remove the original from their site completely, here's the text of the first press release:

VOOM RAISES THE BAR IN HOME ENTERTAINMENT WITH THE MOST HIGH-DEFINITION PROGRAMMING, NOW AND IN THE FUTURE

VOOM Delivers High-Definition Advantage with Nearly 40 HD Channels Backed By Full Array of Popular Standard-Definition Cable Networks
Set to Expand Capacity Enabling VOOM to Offer More than 355 Channels

LAS VEGAS, N.V., January 6, 2005 - VOOM, the first comprehensive high-definition (HD) satellite television service, extends its leadership in HD programming by delivering a more robust HD lineup backed by a full array of popular cable networks in standard-definition (SD). In addition, VOOM recently announced that in March of this year its capacity will expand significantly, enabling it to increase from its current total of 130 channels to 355 HD and SD channels.

"Over the past year, we have focused on strengthening our HD leadership, increasing our SD offerings considerably and enhancing our VOOM HD Originals programming," said Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises. "Continuing to expand our channel capacity this year will enable us to remain the leading provider of HD content with an attractive collection of cable favorites and premium services in SD."

Increased Capacity Means Bigger and Better Programming

VOOM's increased capacity will allow its HD lineup to grow from 39 channels to 71 channels. In addition, VOOM plans to simultaneously add nearly 200 SD channels. To facilitate the expansion, VOOM is leasing 16 transponders on the SES Americom AMC-6 satellite, which VOOM refers to as "Rainbow 2."

The Most HD…Period.

With nearly 40 HD channels, VOOM delivers more than twice the HD programming of any other cable or satellite provider. The centerpiece of this compelling offer is VOOM HD Originals, 21 commercial-free channels exclusive to VOOM and broadcast entirely in HD that offer a wide variety of programming, including movies, concerts, animated specials and sports.

Most recently, as part of this lineup, VOOM introduced Equator HD, featuring travelogues from around the globe, and HDNews, the first and only 24/7 national, high-definition news channel.

Rainbow Media also re-launched HD Movie Channels, part of VOOM HD Originals. This multiplex of uncut, commercial-free movies includes 193 popular titles acquired recently from Miramax, as well as an extensive library from earlier deals with studios such as Lion's Gate Entertainment, Castle Hill, MGM, Warner Brothers and Paramount.

HD Movie Channels include:

Divine HD - Gay and lesbian favorites and the campiest movies around
Family Room HD - Movies suitable for all ages
Film Fest HD - A selection of independent movies and documentaries
Gunslingers HD - Good old-fashioned westerns
Guy TV HD - TV for the "Average Joe" featuring all the movies men love
ha ha HD - High-definition fun and laughs
Kung Fu HD - A line-up of Kung Fu, martial arts and anime
The Majestic HD - Pre-1970 films in black and white and Technicolor
Monsters HD - Spine-chilling movies brought to life in hi-def
Vice HD - Films about lawbreakers and those who bring them to justice
World Cinema HD - Global classics, award-winners and foreign films

"VOOM customers receive the most HD, full of fresh and diverse programs," said Nora Ryan, co-general manager of VOOM HD Originals. "Rainbow Media is continuing to invest in and enhance its VOOM HD Originals to make this the most robust package of HD programming available."

As part of its focus on sports, VOOM is broadening its lineup of international offerings. WorldSport HD, one of the VOOM HD Originals, holds the exclusive US broadcast rights to Euroleague basketball and World Junior Hockey Championships. Euroleague Basketball is one of the world's most electrifying and popular international professional sports leagues. Beginning in January 2005, WorldSport HD will present a live "Euroleague Game of the Week" throughout the remainder of the regular season and extensive post-season broadcasts highlighted by complete coverage of the Euroleague Final Four in Moscow taking place May 6-8, 2005. Also, the coverage of the 2004-2005 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships marks the first-time this internationally renowned tournament will be broadcast in HD.

Comprehensive SD Programming Lineup

In addition to being the leading provider of HD content, VOOM continues to significantly enhance its SD lineup of cable favorites, which now totals 87 channels.

"Complementing our industry leading HD lineup with SD programming that viewers want and expect is a key element of our platform," added Mr. Dolan. "VOOM will continue to aggressively add popular channels, providing VOOM customers with even more choices to enrich their viewing experience."

Most recently, VOOM added Scripps Networks' Food Network and HGTV. Coming attractions for Spring 2005 include the addition of the following popular cable networks:

BBC America
CMT
CNN International
Discovery Home
Discovery Kids
Discovery Times
DIY - Do It Yourself Network
FINE LIVING
Fox Movie Channel
FSN Bay Area
FSN New England
FSN New York
FSN Ohio
GAC - Great American Country
History International
Military Channel
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel
Reality 24-7
Sunshine Network
Superstation WGN
The Science Channel
Turner South

I was just wondering if this is a bad sign. Theres only a few days til Feb 28th, isnt that supposed be all end all day for c.d. to get his funding in place..

zombie said:
I was just wondering if this is a bad sign. Theres only a few days til Feb 28th, isnt that supposed be all end all day for c.d. to get his funding in place..

I wouldn't worry too much about it.... The end day was supposed to happen 2/1/05 and it never happened. :D Voom will be here after 2/28/05 and after 3/1/05.... 2/28/05 is when CV will release whether or not they have come to an agreement with Mr. C. Dolan to hand over VOOM and its assets. It will also mean that Mr. C. Dolan secured finance money to continue. Personally, I won't discount that something contrary to all of this can happen but given the fact that Mr. C. Dolan already went public with signing a letter of intent to buy VOOM, I will have to assume that he already knows where the money will come from. Otherwise why even bother if it wasn't the case.

Again not saying that everything is colorful but highly doubtful that Mr. C. Dolan will back out now. It is possible but IMHO, I do not see it happening.

FWIW, I just got the CD from VOOM today to set up for entering to win an HDTV. The original expiration of that contest was February 28th. The CD label had a note in LARGE print that the contest is extended through 12/31/05. That's not proof of anything, I realize, but it looks like a sign to me that things are not as bleak as once predicted! :D Vicki

did anyone notice that voom has also edited the Nov. 22nd release as well. there was a sample list of channels in that press release as well. They're gone now.

It seems like they are trying to remove all references to new channels. Let the speculation begin, or would that be let the speculation continue?...

I stand corrected, there were two different press releases. But regardless, Voom has removed the second with the references to the new channels.

What's up with that?

Vicki said:
FWIW, I just got the CD from VOOM today to set up for entering to win an HDTV. The original expiration of that contest was February 28th. The CD label had a note in LARGE print that the contest is extended through 12/31/05. That's not proof of anything, I realize, but it looks like a sign to me that things are not as bleak as once predicted! :D Vicki

If you haven't installed it yet, the Voom CD installs the Full Circle tracking software and there have been a few complaints abou that so you might want to check out the Full Circle website to see if you're okay with this before installing.

Thanks, DeeAnn! :) I'm sure glad you posted, because I was trying to install it on my work computer. I'll check that site out first. May have to put it on my cranky, old, slow personal computer instead! :no

BTW, just saw your post about signal strenth, but my re-install got moved from 2/22 to 3/3, so I can't help there. Hopefully some of the other Sacto folks are watching! :yes Vicki

Vicki said:
Thanks, DeeAnn! :) I'm sure glad you posted, because I was trying to install it on my work computer. I'll check that site out first. May have to put it on my cranky, old, slow personal computer instead! :no

BTW, just saw your post about signal strenth, but my re-install got moved from 2/22 to 3/3, so I can't help there. Hopefully some of the other Sacto folks are watching! :yes Vicki

I deleted it and all of the spyware that came with it. Really sucks up system resources.

"New" new channels?

Perhaps they want to release something that will actually reflect what they are getting. Since the sale of the SAT, I'm sure some bets were off - and others may have jumped on the VOOM wagon. Time will tell.....

vurbano said:
I deleted it and all of the spyware that came with it. Really sucks up system resources.
Thanks, vurbano! I'm really glad to know that...don't think it will go on either computer now! :no

Think I'll just be happy with the HDTV I bought, and not get greedy trying to win another one! :) Vicki

who_the said:
I stand corrected, there were two different press releases. But regardless, Voom has removed the second with the references to the new channels.

What's up with that?

Sorry but did not see what you meant before. Now I see it. Yes the references to the list of channels are not there. But expect new channels to be added this coming week if everything goes well.

What's the concern?

The list of channel is still at: http://www.voom.com/util/press/press_01062005_1.shtml

In addition to being the leading provider of HD content, VOOM continues to significantly enhance its SD lineup of cable favorites, which now totals 87 channels.

"Complementing our industry leading HD lineup with SD programming that viewers want and expect is a key element of our platform," added Mr. Dolan. "VOOM will continue to aggressively add popular channels, providing VOOM customers with even more choices to enrich their viewing experience."

Most recently, VOOM added Scripps Networks' Food Network and HGTV. Coming attractions for Spring 2005 include the addition of the following popular cable networks:

BBC America
CMT
CNN International
Discovery Home
Discovery Kids
Discovery Times
DIY - Do It Yourself Network
FINE LIVING
Fox Movie Channel
FSN Bay Area
FSN New England
FSN New York
FSN Ohio
GAC - Great American Country
History International
Military Channel
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel
Reality 24-7
Sunshine Network
Superstation WGN
The Science Channel
Turner South

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts