Today was DirecTV install day!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
Today was install day. The crew was supposed to show 12PM-4PM and showed about 2:30 and were finished by 3:30. They installed Slimline5 dish with HR24 and H24 receivers with wholehouse DVR. There will be a bit of learning curve to this, me being from the old c-band school. But hey, if I can run an Azbox, this ought to be a cinch!

We talked shop and installer answered the few questions I had. We watched DIY on c-band while he installed Direct hardware. And he said they are to add about 40 more HD channels in 2011. I had modified my old FTA pole with a homemade 2" OD sleeve and he had no problem using it or exisiting RG6. Think I made his day he didn't have to crawl under the house.

He didn't install phone line, and I didn't ask. Local weather, etc works without it.

The HD channel quality is awesome on my 50" plasma. It looks about as good as DCII HD masters that they won't let me sub to anymore.

The SD channel quality looks blurry and soft. It is very similar to W5/105 HITS channel quality on c-band, with HITS having more mosquito noise. SD is watchable but lacking on a HD set. It does appear sharper than Dish network SD, IMO.

I still have a sub with 4dtv until 28 December, and plan on keeping the c-band hardware up for ITC stuff, still very useful. (Hey college games are tomorrow:D)

Well, time to get back to watching my new programming.

congrats! Glad you're enjoying it

phone line is not needed. Its only for ordering PPV
make sure to set up the HR24 to do a 30 second skip and not like a fast forward. If the tech didnt do that, here is now to set it up
1. menu then search
2. type in 30skip
3. scroll to right where it says "30skip keyword"
4. hit "select"
5. hit select on ALL
6. it will say "nothing found" but thats fine. Just hit OK

30 second skip is set up :)
You also might want to set up a favorite list for the channels you get because "channels I get" is wacky..especially on the RSN's. It will log most of them even if you dont sub to the sports package

make sure to set up the HR24 to do a 30 second skip and not like a fast forward. If the tech didnt do that, here is now to set it up
1. menu then search
2. type in 30skip
4. hit "select"
5. hit select on ALL

You also might want to set up a favorite list for the channels you get because "channels I get" is wacky..especially on the RSN's. It will log most of them even if you dont sub to the sports package

I thought it was reported that the "Channels I Get" Does work on the H/HR24's ???

I haven't tried it because I have long ago set up my Custom channels....
Your probably better on NOT using it anyways, as you'll have to remove alot of the channels that you DO get that you DON'T want anyways !

oh didnt know that.

But yeah you're right...set up your own faves...those shopping channels arent in my guide ;)

Welcome to the club.... To add to what Iceberg said about phone lines and PPV; the phone line connection will allow repote ordering per receiver, but you can still order online which will activate the PPV on all your receivers.

Welcome to the Direct family. W5 does show more mosquito noise than Direct but I think thats because Direct pre softens before encoding and HITS just sends it as is from the master. Watch for little things as far as artifacts on SD & HD with Direct you will see that even their HD cannot touch a C band true master.

Not to go off subject but does anyone know what the bitrate is for SD and HD with Direct? I'm very curious.

Enjoy the entertainment with Direct. Once the initial new kid on the block wears off you will settle into the rut of what should I watch today from the channels we seldom see on C band anymore. It's been and interesting ride here so far since June. My next happy day will be the day the contract expires. :D

oh didnt know that.

But yeah you're right...set up your own faves...those shopping channels arent in my guide ;)

Phone line has been pulled since I moved ;) I set up a favorite list the day I got my receiver, did a revise when I upgraded to ChoiceXtra. I left HSN, QVC & Shop NBC in because I always saw them on c band while browsing, makes me feel more like the old days.

1. menu then search
2. type in 30skip
4. hit "select"
5. hit select on ALL

The only thing I see re search under [menu] is [SmartSearch] did a search for 30 seconds and I got some program about 30 seconds to whiter teeth, don't think that's what I want. There isnt anything else listed.

Maybe my menu is setup different.

"Channels I Get" is close to what I get, but does have a lot I don't, decided to do a custom list.

I didn't include HSN, ShopNBC, QVC in my favorites, but the wife sure did. I am betting they will be the last c-band analogs. Who would have thought?

yeah its smart search

what you type in to search for is "30skip"
then right arrow to the right hand side where it says "30 skip keyword" and hit select
select "all"...it will say "none found"
then "done" to set the 30 second skip

see pics below.

Attachments

• PICT0101.JPG
    PICT0101.JPG
    899.7 KB · Views: 429
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    803.9 KB · Views: 417
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    839.4 KB · Views: 407
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 412
I understand I can order PPV events by calling Direct or from my acct on the web. I haven't tried it yet., still tryng to learn the dvr:rolleyes:

Last night we were watching CFB game on one channel which I was set up to record via the on screen guide. I could pause it and go to a basketball game on another channel. Pause it, and do a last channel return to CFB game, skip back and forth. But after the record time ran out, (it quit recording), I could pause one game, but when I skipped to other channel and returned after a few minutes, it would be live and couldn't back up. How is best way to do this so I don't miss anything on either channel?

use the double play option.

Press the down arrow twice to start it. Then you can flip between two channels and it will buffer both...or just record one ;)

Welcome to the club.... To add to what Iceberg said about phone lines and PPV; the phone line connection will allow repote ordering per receiver, but you can still order online which will activate the PPV on all your receivers.

And if you want caller id to show on your tv screen! Other than that thats all its really needed for a phone line to be hooked up!

I always forget that because I hate it. When I am watching the games or movies I dont want to see that on my screen. Its on my phone within reach if I care.

Switching to D tomorrow. E's soulution to my high bill was to get rid of an HD pkg. I asked for an upgrade to my regular HD receiver and they told me $100. to get the 722. D here I come. Guess E doesn't want any old time customers anymore! And you guys seem more helpful and friendlier than the E forum! :D

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)