Today was DirecTV install day!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I completely and totally disagree. Please don't tell customer phone line is not necessary. Number one WE need to have a return path as contracts with DTV indicate that there is a standard for return path hookup and I would not want to take a hit in metrics OR a chargeback for not doing so. Secondly, any IRD is going to dial out and receive software on a daily basis, usually around 2 AM. It's not just for PPV.

sorry but you're wrong. When I got D* the tech knew I was cell only. He noted it with D* when he called it in. Also software is done via satellite.
Phone line isnt necessary. I just helped my mom upgrade a SD receiver to HD and the rep said that she wouldnt be able to order PPV or have caller ID

Absolutely true that software upgrades are done by satellite, but I have read on these forums that if the receiver does not "phone home" after a new install, that the installer does not get full compensation.

Not sure if its true or not.

I for one do not need a phone line hooked up to my receiver. If I want PPV I make a call, if I want caller ID I look at my phone. Besides I don't want 60 feet of phone wire running around my house!

Jeff

Absolutely true that software upgrades are done by satellite, but I have read on these forums that if the receiver does not "phone home" after a new install, that the installer does not get full compensation.

Not sure if its true or not.
But what happens if the person is cell only? Its not the tech's fault that someone doesnt want an (archaic) landline :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.