Tomorrow Morning I get DN Installed

Because we are currently only using TV2 I guess I would disable this option to have it always record using TV1?
If you only have it connected to (1) physical TV, set it for Single Mode, first off. Then you don't need to worry about Record Plus at all. Just use the built-in PIP functionality.

If you only have it connected to (1) physical TV, set it for Single Mode, first off. Then you don't need to worry about Record Plus at all. Just use the built-in PIP functionality.

I don't believe I would be able to set it to single mode, because we are currently using the TV2 UHF remote until I get the IR repeaters installed to use the TV1 remote control.

I will be trying some of the suggestions posted as soon as I can get the remote control away from my wife. :) She has become addicted to Dish Network. :) I will also start reading the owners manual to find out other interesting stuff about this wonderful receiver.

I'm pretty sure it will work. If you put the receiver in Single Mode, the remotes will "fight" over control of the receiver. Whoever is upstairs at TV2 (at our house) will see the same channel as the person downstairs at TV1. If the person upstairs changes the channel, the person downstairs has the channel changed on them. Now, in your case, forget that there's an upstairs and other people involved.

I don't believe I would be able to set it to single mode, because we are currently using the TV2 UHF remote until I get the IR repeaters installed to use the TV1 remote control.

I will be trying some of the suggestions posted as soon as I can get the remote control away from my wife. :) She has become addicted to Dish Network. :) I will also start reading the owners manual to find out other interesting stuff about this wonderful receiver.

Setting it to Single Mode would probably be wise in your situation right now as the TV1 Remote will not change the channel unless you are in the same room as the receiver (unless you have switched the TV1 remote to be UHF-which is unlikely).

When you get your projector hooked up, you would then be able to switch it back to Dual Mode. Also, I believe you would need to set up "Shared View" while it is in Single Mode so that the Home Distribution Port will be able to see what is being output (but I may be wrong on this).

Geoff

Setting it to Single Mode would probably be wise in your situation right now as the TV1 Remote will not change the channel unless you are in the same room as the receiver (unless you have switched the TV1 remote to be UHF-which is unlikely).

When you get your projector hooked up, you would then be able to switch it back to Dual Mode. Also, I believe you would need to set up "Shared View" while it is in Single Mode so that the Home Distribution Port will be able to see what is being output (but I may be wrong on this).

Geoff

After reading the manual a little bit this is exactly what I am going to do. I will set the receiver to single mode for now until I get the projector and other rooms wired with coax.

A NICE feature I have found using this receiver is that it tells you the episode number and year the show was aired. You can even store your photos on the hard drive and show them using a slideshow on any TV in the house. I am going to LOVE this receiver.

While watching GSN on 119 I noticed the signal went in and out a few times while a tree outside was shaking during the high winds today. I will need to trim this tree a little soon before spring comes and the leaves appear. It will make the job a lot easier.

Installation Pictures - 11-20-2008

VIP722 HD DVR Receiver:
dn001.jpg

VIP722 on bench (Rack will be installed shortly):
dn003.jpg

Coax entrance inside communications room:
dn004.jpg

DPP44:
dn005.jpg

Cable entrance outside:
dn006.jpg

Closeup of DP44 switch:
dn007.jpg

Dish:
dn008.jpg

dn011.jpg

Back of house:
dn010.jpg

You can even order a pizza on this receiver from Pappa John's:
dn012.jpg

dn013.jpg

Note:
Notice how no weather protection like coax seal was used on the connectors and cable entrance.

Actually, you can't order from Papa Johns through the receiver.... Notice they tell you to call or go to the store. :(

Also, have you plugged your OTA antenna into the 722 yet ? Did you know you can ? You will get program guide data for any "matching" channels that Dish carries, that is, presuming you pay for locals through Dish, and best of all, you can record these channels.

VIP722 HD DVR Receiver:
Note:
Notice how no weather protection like coax seal was used on the connectors and cable entrance.

Connectors are no longer required to have weather protection such as weather boots. They USED to be mandatory, but Dish said they did a study which showed they didn't really make a difference with a properly torqued connector.

However, I would definitely silicon your cable entrance.

I have a question, If he is only using a 722 and a 1000 plus dish why does he need a DPP 44 switch?

The 1000 plus dish picks up 4 sats (119, 110, 129, and 118.7) thus a DP Plus 44 switch is needed.

If it was just a 500 plus dish which only picks up the 119, 110, and 118.7, then a DP 34 switch could have been used.

The 500 plus/1000 plus lnb is not DP Plus technology where he could have just run one line from the dish to the receiver.

Actually, you can't order from Papa Johns through the receiver.... Notice they tell you to call or go to the store. :(

Also, have you plugged your OTA antenna into the 722 yet ? Did you know you can ? You will get program guide data for any "matching" channels that Dish carries, that is, presuming you pay for locals through Dish, and best of all, you can record these channels.

You are correct about Pappa John's I didn't notice that message when I first saw this screen.

Yes, I do plan on adding my Terk-TV32 OTA antenna to the VIP722 as soon I enlarge the hole going into the house. I believe I will use a 2" conduit and run about 10 coax cables from dishes and OTA antenna into my communications room.

Connectors are no longer required to have weather protection such as weather boots. They USED to be mandatory, but Dish said they did a study which showed they didn't really make a difference with a properly torqued connector.

However, I would definitely silicon your cable entrance.

Thank you this is good to know.

The cable itself is in danger of being cut or scraped raw (abraded?) at that point of entrance into the basement. I hope that is vinyl siding and not aluminum. You really need to protect that cable jacket at that entrance.

The cable itself is in danger of being cut or scraped raw (abraded?) at that point of entrance into the basement. I hope that is vinyl siding and not aluminum. You really need to protect that cable jacket at that entrance.

We have aluminum siding, so yes the cable will need to be protected. I plan on making the hole large enough to fit a 1" - 2" conduit that will contain all the coax cables from the various satellite dishes leading into the communications room downstairs.

The more I look at these pictures the more I want to move the DPP44 switch inside ASAP. I should have not backed down and insisted that the installer install the DPP44 switch inside like I had wanted.

I may at the very least:
1) Cut the "F" connector off on the coax going to tuner 1 and 2.
2) Pull coax outside.
3) Cut hole much larger, install conduit and seal.
4) Place 4 coax cables through conduit and connect using barrel connectors (for now until the weather gets warmer and I get chance to replace all 4 coax cables).
5) Mount DPP44 switch and power inserter on plywood inside communications room.
6) Connect coax cables and perform a check switch.

36" X 26" CM (StarBand) Dish

You still using them ?
I finally got rid of them around 18 months ago around the time they really got into major throttling of dloads speeds. Talk about lacking capacity it really got ugly when I was there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)